• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Star Wars Half Marathon ** Check In ** January 14-17, 2016

Survived the 5K this morning, although I am certainly not loving being at work after. :rotfl:

The process was virtually painless, although a bit chilly. We decided to arrive just before 4am, not sure if the new security measures would be an issue. The corrals weren't even open at that point, they didn't open them until after 4:30am. We walked through security easily and hung around before walking to the corrals. Even with adjusting my pace to match my Aunt's, I was leaving the hotel for work at 8am.

Now I can't wait for May. :tink:

All Im hearing from the Marathoners are the long lines for stuff. Bibs, swag, etc.

Very crowded 10k this morning, but I'm still excited about the Half tomorrow! If anyone is looking for someplace to have an early, quiet dinner, I highly recommend the buffet at Paradise Pier. Good selection of food, Star Wars desserts, and they open at 4:30.

One of the finer things I noticed is that they redid the landscaping around the finish line.
As a result, there was a distinct fertilizer odor in the air. *phew*

Seemed they went sign happy this year. It was like parking on a college campus with all the signs and arrows.

And they did screen to get into DTD itself while the race was running.

Incredible how quickly the setup and takedown of the marathon site was.

Happy for everyone they went and ran.

My trip report is already started (link in my signature) Hopefully I'll get to the actual race reports next week. Flying home today & should be home this evening. So glad we did some laundry while we were at the hotel so I don't have to rush to get that stuff done tonight when we get home and can just relax.

At Avengers and also at this race there was a couple walking the 10k with their guide/therapy dog. I know the guidelines say no animals and that runDisney will provide guides if needed. I've even read articles about a runner at the wdw marathon being disqualified for running with his dog. Does anyone know if the rules have changed or if the old story I read was bogus? I heard one security person tell someone they have to allow the dog under federal ADA law which makes sense. the situation doesn't pertain to me but it has peaked my interest so I thought I would check in here to see if anyone else has any input.

I would ask rundisney. The rules do say that they have assistance people you can arrange to walk/run with.

But I saw a guy pushing a stroller through the esplanade in the 10K, and it REALLY surprised me because those are definitely not supposed to be there. You expect feet to be behind you; you do not expect the big front wheel of a jogging stroller.

I realize this is a bit of an old thread, but I was hoping someone here may have information. A close friend of mine was witness and stayed with an older gentleman who was hit by a bike while running the Star Wars half in Jan. We were talking about it, and she said "I just wish I knew what happened to him." If anyone knows of his status, I would greatly appreciate any info so I can pass it on to my friend.

I realize this is a bit of an old thread, but I was hoping someone here may have information. A close friend of mine was witness and stayed with an older gentleman who was hit by a bike while running the Star Wars half in Jan. We were talking about it, and she said "I just wish I knew what happened to him." If anyone knows of his status, I would greatly appreciate any info so I can pass it on to my friend.
Yikes - how awful! Sorry -- I don't know anything about it. How does that even happen??

Yikes - how awful! Sorry -- I don't know anything about it. How does that even happen??
Apparently one of the pace bikes was coming along side and he cut over in front of the bike to go toward a photo op. He didn't look over his shoulder to see if anyone was coming before he made his move.

Apparently one of the pace bikes was coming along side and he cut over in front of the bike to go toward a photo op. He didn't look over his shoulder to see if anyone was coming before he made his move.
Oh. :( I hope someone happens to have some news...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter