• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spring Break at Aulani, April 10-15, 2016 Trip Report (in progress)

and hey, this is already faster than the alaska one from last year, lol!!!

I'm enjoying your trip report! We own at the Marriott resort next door to Aulani, and go every other year (from Maryland).

I lived on Oahu for 3 years (and my son was born there). Just wanted to comment on the lack of seagulls. Hawaii has no seagulls, fireflies, snakes, or rabies.

This is probably a strange question, but I always wondered about the 1-bedroom with kids...did you have to pull the couch out everynight into a bed and then housekeeping put it back in in the morning? I love the turn down service on DCL where they do that for you.

Hawaii has no seagulls, fireflies, snakes, or rabies.

No snakes?? I'm starting to pack now! I would totally miss our fireflies, though! :sad1: Anything there that are as bad as snakes that would take their place with the fear factor?? :scared1: (for me, anyway)

No snakes?? I'm starting to pack now! I would totally miss our fireflies, though! :sad1: Anything there that are as bad as snakes that would take their place with the fear factor?? :scared1: (for me, anyway)

Yes, but not normally at resorts. We had big bug problems in our house - yard roaches that came in under the door every night (had to vacuum daily the dead ones near the door), and geckos in the house (yuck). Lots of my friends had centipedes too, and they do bite. There is also a big roof rat problem in Honolulu (you'll see bands on trees, keeps them from climbing up) but also not an issue for tourists!

We had ants even in our room at the Ritz in Maui once, and geckos on the balcony. I just had them come in and spray for the crazy ants. But that's pretty much possible any warm climate!

Guam got snakes, and they killed off so many birds. Planes coming from there are carefully screened to make sure any stowaways aren't onboard.

Yes we're back from Maui :daisy:will be writing a mini TR soon but don't let my procrastination rub off on you :rotfl2:

I'm enjoying your trip report! We own at the Marriott resort next door to Aulani, and go every other year (from Maryland).

I lived on Oahu for 3 years (and my son was born there). Just wanted to comment on the lack of seagulls. Hawaii has no seagulls, fireflies, snakes, or rabies.

oh thank you for letting me know! very interesting local fact.

This is probably a strange question, but I always wondered about the 1-bedroom with kids...did you have to pull the couch out everynight into a bed and then housekeeping put it back in in the morning? I love the turn down service on DCL where they do that for you.

alas, no turn-down service like on the ships... but it wasn't that hard to do on our own because the murphy bed doesn't come down from the ceiling.

Yes, but not normally at resorts. We had big bug problems in our house - yard roaches that came in under the door every night (had to vacuum daily the dead ones near the door), and geckos in the house (yuck). Lots of my friends had centipedes too, and they do bite. There is also a big roof rat problem in Honolulu (you'll see bands on trees, keeps them from climbing up) but also not an issue for tourists!

We had ants even in our room at the Ritz in Maui once, and geckos on the balcony. I just had them come in and spray for the crazy ants. But that's pretty much possible any warm climate!

Guam got snakes, and they killed off so many birds. Planes coming from there are carefully screened to make sure any stowaways aren't onboard.

oooh that's cool to get geckos!

Is there a reason to tell the valet that the rental car is from Alamo? Just curious. We'll be there at the end of the month and have a rental car from Alamo that we plan on keeping the entire stay.

Is there a reason to tell the valet that the rental car is from Alamo? Just curious. We'll be there at the end of the month and have a rental car from Alamo that we plan on keeping the entire stay.

because they will return the car to alamo for you directly. we were done after that trip to the beach and had no more use for it. if you're keeping the car you won't need to do that.

because they will return the car to alamo for you directly. we were done after that trip to the beach and had no more use for it. if you're keeping the car you won't need to do that.

Gotcha, thanks! :)

IMG_5292.JPG

@sgrap, you were asking about grocery lists in your separate post. you probably saw this receipt from safeway already, but thought i'd show you again. we were at aulani for five nights, and ate all our breakfasts, a couple lunches, and day 1 dinner there, so not quite like your full 7-night stay, plus my two kids are much younger and we had to navigate some food allergy concerns. still, something for you to consider.

have a great time in hawaii next week!

View attachment 173228

@sgrap, you were asking about grocery lists in your separate post. you probably saw this receipt from safeway already, but thought i'd show you again. we were at aulani for five nights, and ate all our breakfasts, a couple lunches, and day 1 dinner there, so not quite like your full 7-night stay, plus my two kids are much younger and we had to navigate some food allergy concerns. still, something for you to consider.

have a great time in hawaii next week!
Thank you, I had seen it before, but I just copied down this time! :-) Our youngest will only drink COSTCO Kirkland plain soy milk. She came home from China at almost 5 years old, and adapted amazingly, but dairy milk is the one thing she just cannot stand. I've tried other brands of plain soy milk and she hates it. So I have a feeling we will have to buy a case of Costco soy milk over there. Thankfully it's relatively inexpensive. I usually take enough when we go on vacation, but enough for 10 days adds a lot to our luggage! Thanks again!

Thank you, I had seen it before, but I just copied down this time! :-) Our youngest will only drink COSTCO Kirkland plain soy milk. She came home from China at almost 5 years old, and adapted amazingly, but dairy milk is the one thing she just cannot stand. I've tried other brands of plain soy milk and she hates it. So I have a feeling we will have to buy a case of Costco soy milk over there. Thankfully it's relatively inexpensive. I usually take enough when we go on vacation, but enough for 10 days adds a lot to our luggage! Thanks again!

good to know! let me know how costco works out for ya. we didn't go there this time because my young kids don't eat quite enough over 5 nights to justify costco portions yet (DH loves their $1.50 hotdog + drink combo tho, lol), but i know in a few years we'll be making weekly trips there. ;)

good to know! let me know how costco works out for ya. we didn't go there this time because my young kids don't eat quite enough over 5 nights to justify costco portions yet (DH loves their $1.50 hotdog + drink combo tho, lol), but i know in a few years we'll be making weekly trips there. ;)
We are Costco regulars around here . . . I'm thinking take n bake pizza, chicken, maybe some meat to BBQ? I think for 7 nights with 6 people, we should do pretty well on some Costco items. ;-) Plus the prices are good enough that if we don't finish everything, I don't feel terrible. We often do this in Disneyland and then give the extra sodas, etc. to the bell boys to have in their break room when we check out.

Just got back. ( :( ) No turn-down service, but they will leave the beds out and made if you want so you don't have to open them back up. There is a 5 seat table/booth/stool set-up for eating, 4 chairs on the balcony, and 2 living room chairs... so we didn't really need the bed put back into a couch. Plenty of space, nothing like a cruise ship, so leaving both the murphy bed and couch bed out didn't really affect our ability to get around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter