Split stay and wanting to add dining plan, many questions (never did DDP before!)

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
I have a split stay coming up. Right now I don't have any dining plans for my 2 stays *first one is a package with room and tickets, second one is a room only reservation.

If I wanted to add a dining plan, can it be added now?
And I assume I would have to add a dining plan to both stays since it's considered 2 separate stays?
I assume also I can add it to just one of my stays?

If I already have reservations for various breakfasts, dinners, etc. A few of them I had to pre Pay (CRT, SOA, HDD). What would happen to those since I prepaid? How do people who typically already have the dining plan associated with their reservation typically book a prepay meal such as CRT?

Do meals and snack carry over from day to day, but end on the day you check out? What time do they end on check out day? So for me, stay #1, would those credits end on the last day of stay #1, even if we aren't leaving?

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
I have a split stay coming up. Right now I don't have any dining plans for my 2 stays *first one is a package with room and tickets, second one is a room only reservation.

If I wanted to add a dining plan, can it be added now?
And I assume I would have to add a dining plan to both stays since it's considered 2 separate stays?
I assume also I can add it to just one of my stays?

If I already have reservations for various breakfasts, dinners, etc. A few of them I had to pre Pay (CRT, SOA, HDD). What would happen to those since I prepaid? How do people who typically already have the dining plan associated with their reservation typically book a prepay meal such as CRT?

Do meals and snack carry over from day to day, but end on the day you check out? What time do they end on check out day? So for me, stay #1, would those credits end on the last day of stay #1, even if we aren't leaving?

Thank you!!!

You should be able to add dining plans to your existing reservations. The second one would have to be booked as a ticketless package with dining. You may need to specify that to the CM on the phone, but there shouldn't be any issues. The first one is already a package, so adding a dining plan should be easy.

You can choose to add the DDP to one or both of your reservations. Just adding it one does not give you the DDP for your whole stay, just that single reservation.

For the prepaid dining reservations, you can call and they might be able to refund you and change it to using the DDP to pay. Otherwise, when you dine at the restaurant, you can tell them you want to pay with DDP credits, they will scan your band to deduct them, and you will be refunded the price you prepaid. Once the DDP is attached to your reservation and listed in MDE, then you have the option when booking restaurants to select to pay with credits rather than prepay with a credit card. As long as the DDP is listed in your MDE acct, you will see this option listed when you try to book a prepay restaurant. Note that selecting to pay with credits doesn't actually hold or use the credits until you dine, but it makes it so you don't have to prepay since you're saying you will be using the DDP credits later for it.

Yes, meal and snack credits carry over from day to day and you can use them up until midnight of the day you check out. If you were to get the DDP for both reservations of your split stay, the credits from the first part would expire at midnight of the day you check out for THAT FIRST reservation. Likewise, the credits for the second stay would expire at midnight on the day of checkout for that reservation.

*For ease of typing, I just put DDP rather than write out dining plan, but I'm referring to any of the dining plans with it, not just the regular dining plan that is typically abbreviated as DDP.

You should be able to add dining plans to your existing reservations. The second one would have to be booked as a ticketless package with dining. You may need to specify that to the CM on the phone, but there shouldn't be any issues. The first one is already a package, so adding a dining plan should be easy.

You can choose to add the DDP to one or both of your reservations. Just adding it one does not give you the DDP for your whole stay, just that single reservation.

For the prepaid dining reservations, you can call and they might be able to refund you and change it to using the DDP to pay. Otherwise, when you dine at the restaurant, you can tell them you want to pay with DDP credits, they will scan your band to deduct them, and you will be refunded the price you prepaid. Once the DDP is attached to your reservation and listed in MDE, then you have the option when booking restaurants to select to pay with credits rather than prepay with a credit card. As long as the DDP is listed in your MDE acct, you will see this option listed when you try to book a prepay restaurant. Note that selecting to pay with credits doesn't actually hold or use the credits until you dine, but it makes it so you don't have to prepay since you're saying you will be using the DDP credits later for it.

Yes, meal and snack credits carry over from day to day and you can use them up until midnight of the day you check out. If you were to get the DDP for both reservations of your split stay, the credits from the first part would expire at midnight of the day you check out for THAT FIRST reservation. Likewise, the credits for the second stay would expire at midnight on the day of checkout for that reservation.

*For ease of typing, I just put DDP rather than write out dining plan, but I'm referring to any of the dining plans with it, not just the regular dining plan that is typically abbreviated as DDP.

Thank you for all of this. I will be calling them but wanted to understand more before I do.

I was told when we did this last year that the dining plan can only be added to hotel stays with tickets. So we did the same, had tickets for 14 days but did 7 nights in one hotel and 7 in another but we only able to add the dining plan to our first hotel so had to pay out of pocket the second week

I was told when we did this last year that the dining plan can only be added to hotel stays with tickets. So we did the same, had tickets for 14 days but did 7 nights in one hotel and 7 in another but we only able to add the dining plan to our first hotel so had to pay out of pocket the second week

I'm not sure why you were told no or if the CM was maybe just confused. People get ticketless packages all the time. There is no way to just add a dining plan to a hotel stay without changing it to a package (so you'd have the package deposit and rules rather than just the one nights deposit or whatever it is for just a hotel stay), but you can have a ticketless package.

If I did opt to get the DDP for both parts of my split day, what would happen on the overlap day? Meaning checkout day of the first stay and the check in day of the second stay? Would something get messed up or will all credits for stay 2 just add to whatever is remaining from stay 1, until 12am? For ex, if on stay 1 I had 2 meals left but stay 2 kicked in same day, would I somehow lose the meals and snacks left from stay one? I am a bit worried about losing out somehow with a glitch.

I also just read online you can do a "ticketless package". Right on Disney's website. Same as poster on this thread said. I am not sure why you were told the wrong info.

If I did opt to get the DDP for both parts of my split day, what would happen on the overlap day? Meaning checkout day of the first stay and the check in day of the second stay? Would something get messed up or will all credits for stay 2 just add to whatever is remaining from stay 1, until 12am? For ex, if on stay 1 I had 2 meals left but stay 2 kicked in same day, would I somehow lose the meals and snacks left from stay one? I am a bit worried about losing out somehow with a glitch.

I know you have to use up all the credits from the first stay before u can use the credits from the second stay. I highly recommend researching the specifics of changeover day though.

To piggy-back...

What about just the refillable mug for a split-stay?

To piggy-back...

What about just the refillable mug for a split-stay?

I have been reading old posts and it seems on check in day of first stay a mug is activated for 10 or 14 days? Regardless of stay. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Sorry, I do not know the answer to that one with how it works. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more definitive info though.

You would have to use all the dining and snack credits for the first DDP and then the second one will be able to be used. Some people have said they had to go checkin for the second part of their stay in person and that activated their second ddp

It SHOULD be seamless, but as we all know, there are times it is not.

The way it should work is that all credits from Stay 1 are good until midnight of transfer day. ALL of these credits (including any snack credits) MUST be used before you have access to any of Stay 2's credits. Once those credits are gone and assuming you've done online check-in for Stay 2, the credits for Stay 2 should magically appear for you to use.

All kinds of things can get in the way of how it should work, so what we suggest is that on the morning of transfer day you make a stop at Stay 1 resort's guest services and get a print out of any remaining credits. Ask them to check you in for Stay 2, if they can. If you do lose any of the credits remaining, this gives you a paper trail to get them back. It should also take care of getting the credits from Stay 2 started once the others are gone.

If you go to use credits on transfer day and the restaurant says you don't have ANY credits, just charge to the room and get it fixed at your resort later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter