• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Speculation on the opening of AOA and GDT

Those of you that have mentioned YC and GF as examples of why GDT will open, thank you for that! We actually stayed at YC last weekend. I loved it there! We did end up changing our Thanksgiving reservation to add one more night at GDT and one less at AOA, so I think we can tough it out if we get bumped to POP. Those are our Epcot and HS days, so we can utilize the skyliner.

Those of you that have mentioned YC and GF as examples of why GDT will open, thank you for that! We actually stayed at YC last weekend. I loved it there! We did end up changing our Thanksgiving reservation to add one more night at GDT and one less at AOA, so I think we can tough it out if we get bumped to POP. Those are our Epcot and HS days, so we can utilize the skyliner.

I really think the only issue with GDT is all the bars/restaurants may not be open. I would hope they have either Barcelona Lounge or Dahlia open for a bar/lounge option and Three Bridges or Toledo for sit down. I'm sure food court would be open.

I think Three Bridges would be better than Toledo as it's cheaper and would be another gorgeous place to relax with a glass of wine (or 3). :D

I really think the only issue with GDT is all the bars/restaurants may not be open. I would hope they have either Barcelona Lounge or Dahlia open for a bar/lounge option and Three Bridges or Toledo for sit down. I'm sure food court would be open.

I think Three Bridges would be better than Toledo as it's cheaper and would be another gorgeous place to relax with a glass of wine (or 3). :D

We actually stayed at CSR right after 3 bridges opened for a weekend trip and we loved it! Really cool atmosphere. I hope that it’s open. And if the tower is open, I would hope there are things open inside the tower. And they usually have a pretty good food court!

Not trying to fan the flames, but they just sent out an email to verify you are still taking your vacation. I'm wondering if they want to get a better handle on numbers which could in turn have an effect on when they open additional resorts? Who knows what changes lurk in the heart of Disney? The Shadow knows! 🤣

Not trying to fan the flames, but they just sent out an email to verify you are still taking your vacation. I'm wondering if they want to get a better handle on numbers which could in turn have an effect on when they open additional resorts? Who knows what changes lurk in the heart of Disney? The Shadow knows! 🤣

What are your dates? I haven't gotten one for Jan 6-11. (though maybe because my TA just shifted me from CBR to CSR to GDT?)

We’re at GDT Nov 8 - 13. Have NOT received an email asking if we’re still planning our trip.

What are your dates? I haven't gotten one for Jan 6-11. (though maybe because my TA just shifted me from CBR to CSR to GDT?)

They are sending out through 12/31 stays I think.

I don't know, GDT seems pretty booked through the spring (either no availability or King rooms left). But again, who knows what Disney will do.

They are sending out through 12/31 stays I think.

I don't know, GDT seems pretty booked through the spring (either no availability or King rooms left). But again, who knows what Disney will do.

Yeah, it had been booked solid for Marathon Weekend. Over the weekend Standard View CSR (not Tower) rooms popped up and I had my TA change to that. Then Tuesday we learned that Marathon Weekend is cancelled/virtual during the day. I got home and looked at availability and multiple CSR categories as well as GDT categories had opened. I suspect in that case there were probably rooms on hold for charities which have them as part of their fundraising that got released.

I still think they have to look at what space they have available for moving people into equivalent or higher categories before they make any decisions about not re-opening resorts. They have to make sure there is adequate space because yeah, while some might decide to cancel, they can't count on that. And I don't see them cancelling people's reservations. (Though with the cruise industry it will be interesting to see what they do as one of the proposals is reduced numbers on ships - because many of them have been open for booking for a while, they may already be over whatever capacity they are instituting. And no one knows how they will determine who gets to sail in those cases. I don't see Disney doing the same thing for the land-based resorts.)

I got one of those emails in June regarding my planned August arrival. Others have reported seeing them from time to time since before reopening. Yes, they're probably using it for planning purposes, and an unexpected high number of cancellations could affect the current AoA and CSR reopening plans. OTOH, an unexpected high number of confirmations could cause them to reopen other resorts sooner than planned. I wouldn't read too much into the fact that they inquired.

I've emailed to see which restaurants/bars they are planning to open when CSR/GDT reopen. I'll see what (if anything) I hear back.

We are booked Oct 28 -Nov 2 at GDT , I too would like to know what restaurants etc. Honestly at this point I need a vacation so bad I will stay in the parking lot if they let me Lol

Hopefully I hear back soon!!

Sadly no news. "Azelea" seems to be the CM who handles the "we don't know" responses as I got something similar a couple of months ago regarding another question. Her response:

"As of right now, we do not have a list of dining locations that will be open as of right now for the for the Disney's Coronado Springs Resort please checck the Walt Disney World® advisory page for more up to date information on the dining locations available."

Sadly no news. "Azelea" seems to be the CM who handles the "we don't know" responses as I got something similar a couple of months ago regarding another question. Her response:

"As of right now, we do not have a list of dining locations that will be open as of right now for the for the Disney's Coronado Springs Resort please checck the Walt Disney World® advisory page for more up to date information on the dining locations available."

Thanks for trying! :)

You're welcome! I'm interested too as I'm slated to stay at GDT in January!

Well, you tried! That almost sounded like an auto-not response, lol. I guess we’ll know soon enough, but with Florida starting to lift restrictions, I’d say that’s a good sign for more resorts and restaurants opening!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter