Speculation on the opening of AOA and GDT

KyCoKe16

Mouseketeer
We are booked on an 8 night trip the week of Thanksgiving with my husband’s family. We currently have a split stay booked, starting at AOA and ending at GDT. DH’s family are staying at POP while we stay at AOA. I know that both AOA and GDT are set to be open before that week, but I’ve seen some speculation that they won’t be.

If they end up not being open, where are we likely to be moved? I realize this is pure speculation and I would think that if AOA didn’t open, the most likely move would be to CBR. But if there is a chance that we would be moved to POP, I may rethink our nights at AOA because I definitely do not want to stay at POP. Also, I guess the most logical move from GDT would also be CBR, but we are paying about $100 more per night than a standard room at CSR, so I was curious about that as well. Again, I know it’s all speculation and I hope that they are both open and we don’t have to worry about this anyway!

All I can say is I would not be happy with a move from GDT to CBR. That's not a lateral move, that's a downgrade in my opinion.

But what can you do really? I wouldn't worry about it as I think GDT will open, but I would want to talk to someone about where I would be move to before I made any decisions.

We are booked on an 8 night trip the week of Thanksgiving with my husband’s family. We currently have a split stay booked, starting at AOA and ending at GDT. DH’s family are staying at POP while we stay at AOA. I know that both AOA and GDT are set to be open before that week, but I’ve seen some speculation that they won’t be.

If they end up not being open, where are we likely to be moved? I realize this is pure speculation and I would think that if AOA didn’t open, the most likely move would be to CBR. But if there is a chance that we would be moved to POP, I may rethink our nights at AOA because I definitely do not want to stay at POP. Also, I guess the most logical move from GDT would also be CBR, but we are paying about $100 more per night than a standard room at CSR, so I was curious about that as well. Again, I know it’s all speculation and I hope that they are both open and we don’t have to worry about this anyway!
It’s all conjecture at this point, so there’s no sense in worrying about where you might be moved until it happens. My opinion is that you would be moved from a closed Value Resort to an open Value Resort, and from a closed Moderate Resort to an open one. So AOA -> POP, CSR-> CBR and any reduction in rate (if any) would be refunded but no rate increase would be charged if that’s the case.

All I can say is I would not be happy with a move from GDT to CBR. That's not a lateral move, that's a downgrade in my opinion.

But what can you do really? I wouldn't worry about it as I think GDT will open, but I would want to talk to someone about where I would be move to before I made any decisions.
Me either! And if they are going to change the opening schedule I’d love to know sooner than later, of course. So I’m curious when they’d make that decision. I would bet that now they would just tell me that the plan is that they will be open. I am not in love with CBR, but would be fine with a move there from AOA, not as happy with a move there from GDT. Of course, we already have the rooms booked because we have had to book park days and dining.

It’s all conjecture at this point, so there’s no sense in worrying about where you might be moved until it happens. My opinion is that you would be moved from a closed Value Resort to an open Value Resort, and from a closed Moderate Resort to an open one. So AOA -> POP, CSR-> CBR and any reduction in rate (if any) would be refunded but no rate increase would be charged if that’s the case.
Yes I realize that could be the case, but I definitely do not want to stay at POP, so I may need to rethink those days, just in case, I guess.

Me either! And if they are going to change the opening schedule I’d love to know sooner than later, of course. So I’m curious when they’d make that decision. I would bet that now they would just tell me that the plan is that they will be open. I am not in love with CBR, but would be fine with a move there from AOA, not as happy with a move there from GDT. Of course, we already have the rooms booked because we have had to book park days and dining.

I will say that when people were first being moved from GDT due to NBA, they were offered Riviera! But don't get your hopes up! :)

I do disagree that a move from GDT would not be the same as a moderate to moderate. GDT is more than a moderate, thus the price is more. Can be over $400 a night for a King -water view in the Tower!

Last edited:
I strongly suspect that if they were going to NOT open something, we would have heard when we heard about the Poly. I've also only seen the "speculation" on here among travelers, NOTHING from any Travel Agents and certainly NOTHING from Disney. Grand Floridian opened up as expected, so I see no reason to suspect that the others currently scheduled to open will not do so.

When they look at numbers, they not only have to look at how many rooms have been booked, but also at how many available rooms they have to move people into if they decide not to open something. AND equivalencies. With AoA, you are not just looking at rooms but at family suites - so you're looking at probably at least 2 standard rooms for every one of those. As has been pointed out, while CSR to CBR would be more or less lateral, GDT at CSR reservations would not really be lateral to CBR so they would either be looking at upgrades (loss of revenue) or providing refunds and/or gift cards (which is also loss of revenue).

I strongly suspect that if they were going to NOT open something, we would have heard when we heard about the Poly. I've also only seen the "speculation" on here among travelers, NOTHING from any Travel Agents and certainly NOTHING from Disney. Grand Floridian opened up as expected, so I see no reason to suspect that the others currently scheduled to open will not do so.

When they look at numbers, they not only have to look at how many rooms have been booked, but also at how many available rooms they have to move people into if they decide not to open something. AND equivalencies. With AoA, you are not just looking at rooms but at family suites - so you're looking at probably at least 2 standard rooms for every one of those. As has been pointed out, while CSR to CBR would be more or less lateral, GDT at CSR reservations would not really be lateral to CBR so they would either be looking at upgrades (loss of revenue) or providing refunds and/or gift cards (which is also loss of revenue).

These are all good points! Thanks for easing my mind! I’m looking forward to staying at AOA and GDT for the first time and, while I wouldn’t be upset with being upgraded, I would not be happy to be moved to POP or to CBR from GDT.

As has been pointed out, while CSR to CBR would be more or less lateral, GDT at CSR reservations would not really be lateral to CBR so they would either be looking at upgrades (loss of revenue) or providing refunds and/or gift cards (which is also loss of revenue).
No loss of revenue as the upgrades are to empty rooms and keep those resorts running & allows CMs to continue working. About 80% of the Gift cards are never redeemed. Yes it is even higher with the new eGift cards.

Dave

FWIW, crowds seem to have picked up since Labor Day, and post-Labor Day September is usually the slowest time of the year for Disney. I don't know if that is just more local attendees or if it translates to busier resorts. But it may be an indication that more resort guests are coming this fall than the summer had. If so, they may need to open those resorts.

As to the OP's desire to avoid being switched to Pop, what's your alternative? You could change your AoA reservation to CBR or another moderate now, and pay the difference. But if you wait until they announce AoA is not opening, you might get switched to a moderate for no extra cost. And if they insist the only free alternative is Pop, you could probably switch to a moderate and pay the difference then. If they decide not to open AoA, I suspect it'll be due to a general lack of guests, not just a lack of value resort guests, and the open moderate resorts won't be fully booked. If I were you, I'd wait, not worry about it, and decide what to do only in the unlikely event that AoA or GDT doesn't open.

FWIW, crowds seem to have picked up since Labor Day, and post-Labor Day September is usually the slowest time of the year for Disney. I don't know if that is just more local attendees or if it translates to busier resorts. But it may be an indication that more resort guests are coming this fall than the summer had. If so, they may need to open those resorts.

As to the OP's desire to avoid being switched to Pop, what's your alternative? You could change your AoA reservation to CBR or another moderate now, and pay the difference. But if you wait until they announce AoA is not opening, you might get switched to a moderate for no extra cost. And if they insist the only free alternative is Pop, you could probably switch to a moderate and pay the difference then. If they decide not to open AoA, I suspect it'll be due to a general lack of guests, not just a lack of value resort guests, and the open moderate resorts won't be fully booked. If I were you, I'd wait, not worry about it, and decide what to do only in the unlikely event that AoA or GDT doesn't open.
Yes, I think we are gonna stay put and hope for the best! I would hope that they would’ve already told the public if they weren’t planning on opening, but who really knows.

Yes, I think we are gonna stay put and hope for the best! I would hope that they would’ve already told the public if they weren’t planning on opening, but who really knows.
I hope they'll announce soon. We have a first week November stay at GDT. We were originally at Pop, but received a PIN so moved to GDT and looking forward to it.

We were moved twice for our August stay. Originally WL, moved to Poly, then to CR. As a reference point, I just went back in my emails, I was notified on July 27 for a stay starting on August 12 that Poly would not be opening.

Given that there are already CMs at GDT thanks to the overpaid ball bouncers, I think it's just a matter of them getting out and things being cleaned. Yacht Club and Grand Floridian opened without issue after they left, so I don't see them suddenly saying "We're not opening this one to the public when they leave" unless the final teams trash it and they have to delay opening to clean it/make repairs

No one being at AoA makes it a little more iffy to be sure. But the blend of rooms and suites makes it much more of a challenge to relocate people. So I think not opening it will be a last-resort kind of thing.

Given that there are already CMs at GDT thanks to the overpaid ball bouncers, I think it's just a matter of them getting out and things being cleaned. Yacht Club and Grand Floridian opened without issue after they left, so I don't see them suddenly saying "We're not opening this one to the public when they leave" unless the final teams trash it and they have to delay opening to clean it/make repairs

No one being at AoA makes it a little more iffy to be sure. But the blend of rooms and suites makes it much more of a challenge to relocate people. So I think not opening it will be a last-resort kind of thing.
I agree GDT will most likely open. (AoA is anyone's guess.) Although, in 2020, it seems anything's possible!

My speculation is CSR will open GDT and Cabanas, although I did see for one of the dates I checked last week, preferred rooms were still available, just not with the discounts available.

While it is 2020 and all that so I could always need to eat my words later, but my general feeling is that the rumors/chatter of them not reopening is just negative Internet speculation.

My speculation is CSR will open GDT and Cabanas, although I did see for one of the dates I checked last week, preferred rooms were still available, just not with the discounts available.

I have seen people speculating "only Cabanas" with the reasoning given in other places being that is the only section listed in the dropdown menu in online check-in. Sorry to burst that bubble, but that has always been the only section listed in the dropdown menu. In like Dec 2019 or Jan 2020 I had booked CSR for a birthday trip in July and even then, pre-COVID insanity, Cabanas was the only section listed as a choice in the dropdown menu for online check-in. So no, I don't think that's indicative that it would be the only section opening because I don't think in Dec or January they were planning to close all but GDT, Cabanas, and the Preferred rooms. I think they pre-populate the dropdown choices with the most common requests and Ranchos just probably isn't as common a request as Cabanas because people want to be closer to stuff. The very fact that they are offering preferred rooms says to me that Casitas will be open as well.

While it is 2020 and all that so I could always need to eat my words later, but my general feeling is that the rumors/chatter of them not reopening is just negative Internet speculation.

I agree. Travel boards especially seem to be havens for negativity anyway and 2020 has just exaggerated that. I'm on very few right now in spite of having trips planned because I just cannot take all the negativity - and I find myself wanting to lash out (like all the people who are "so nervous" about dining and "only want to eat outdoors" I want to say "If you're THAT nervous, then maybe you shouldn't be traveling at all because you're going to be miserable the whole time." or colleagues who are coming to school looking like they're about to go into an operating room (complete with head covering and booties) OR like they're extras in the movie Contagion I want to shake and say "The Board of Ed gave you the opportunity to apply for accommodations so you should have done that.") because it's messing with my mind space. Seems like rather than looking to the smallest glimmer of light in darkness, people have shifted to looking for the tiniest speck of darkness in a bit of light and running with it. (And then calling those of us who are light-seekers "in denial".)

I have seen people speculating "only Cabanas" with the reasoning given in other places being that is the only section listed in the dropdown menu in online check-in. Sorry to burst that bubble, but that has always been the only section listed in the dropdown menu. In like Dec 2019 or Jan 2020 I had booked CSR for a birthday trip in July and even then, pre-COVID insanity, Cabanas was the only section listed as a choice in the dropdown menu for online check-in. So no, I don't think that's indicative that it would be the only section opening because I don't think in Dec or January they were planning to close all but GDT, Cabanas, and the Preferred rooms. I think they pre-populate the dropdown choices with the most common requests and Ranchos just probably isn't as common a request as Cabanas because people want to be closer to stuff. The very fact that they are offering preferred rooms says to me that Casitas will be open as well.

I agree. Travel boards especially seem to be havens for negativity anyway and 2020 has just exaggerated that. I'm on very few right now in spite of having trips planned because I just cannot take all the negativity - and I find myself wanting to lash out (like all the people who are "so nervous" about dining and "only want to eat outdoors" I want to say "If you're THAT nervous, then maybe you shouldn't be traveling at all because you're going to be miserable the whole time." or colleagues who are coming to school looking like they're about to go into an operating room (complete with head covering and booties) OR like they're extras in the movie Contagion I want to shake and say "The Board of Ed gave you the opportunity to apply for accommodations so you should have done that.") because it's messing with my mind space. Seems like rather than looking to the smallest glimmer of light in darkness, people have shifted to looking for the tiniest speck of darkness in a bit of light and running with it. (And then calling those of us who are light-seekers "in denial".)

Surely people not wanting to dine indoors does not hurt or affect you in any way, nor indicate that a person is negative. Indoor spaces, maskless, are one of the biggest risks a person could take. Don’t really know why you care what precautions people feel they need/want to take to resume somewhat normal life. Cause, yeah, some aspects of a vacation do make me nervous, but I can take precautions and hope for the best and live my life a little.

Actually, I said "Cabanas" because I'm guessing if the resort doesn't fully open like with other resorts where all buildings didn't initially open, it makes sense to keep everything close together? At least logistically, that's how I'd plan it :).
Apologies if my post came off too negative, truly wasn't intended to be :). At least for myself, setting realistic expectations. I didn't expect to be moved twice in August, but we were. (And if it happens again, that's fine too. we still get to go!)

Apologies if my post came off too negative, truly wasn't intended to be :). At least for myself, setting realistic expectations. I didn't expect to be moved twice in August, but we were. (And if it happens again, that's fine too. we still get to go!)

Sorry if my post read as pointed at you, as it totally wasn’t. I was more referencing overall Internet chatter on the AoA/CSR reopening topic in general, nothing specific that had been posted here. :flower3:

Actually, I said "Cabanas" because I'm guessing if the resort doesn't fully open like with other resorts where all buildings didn't initially open, it makes sense to keep everything close together? At least logistically, that's how I'd plan it :).

Gotcha. In other places (maybe the CSR thread? I can't remember), someone asked about the other sections since only Cabanas is an option and most people immediately jumped on the "OMG they will only open that section!!!!" train. Some resorts - CBR for example - don't even give section options, so it's not an indicator really.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter