Spaceship earth soft openings.....anyone ride yet?

mickeysgirl17

Wish I was at Disney
I just read that spaceship earth was open for a bit for soft openings on a few websites. Anyone ride yet?

wasnt open for Halloween... but cant wait to ride the new and improved at New Years!

Yes, I had read the "soft openings" post but am waiting with baited breath to see if they will have any "previews" when we get there on January 25th. New Year's??? Could they be allowing people as early as that. Heck, we should be all set to get a sneak peak the last week of January. ???:cool1:

It opened Thursday night at 8:00 PM for previews. I have not heard if it has been opened at all since then.

I rode it today around 1 pm. Very disappointing to say the least! I was in tears by the end. I can't believe they totally ruined one of my favorite rides.

I rode it today around 1 pm. Very disappointing to say the least! I was in tears by the end. I can't believe they totally ruined one of my favorite rides.

OH NO!! My fave ride also! :scared1: What on earth did they DO??:confused3

Well, to start with, the new narration seems 'dumbed down'.
The whole 2nd half of the ride (after you go out into the area with the stars and the earth) is totally removed. There is absolutely nothing - just black walls around your vehicle while you are going backwards. There is a video screen in front of you that is on, with some questions for you to answer, then it customizes a cartoon video based on what you pick.
They didn't even fix the bumpy track at all either. I was so disappointed.

The whole 2nd half of the ride (after you go out into the area with the stars and the earth) is totally removed. There is absolutely nothing - just black walls around your vehicle while you are going backwards. There is a video screen in front of you that is on, with some questions for you to answer, then it customizes a cartoon video based on what you pick.

This makes me want to cry. I loved that ride - and why would anybody waste money doing that?

So, no more neon streaks above you as you tilt back and head for earth? No more stars shining up at the top? Is there still a caveman etc? What it LIKE??? I don't care about the bumpy track, I just want an interesting Spaceship Earth! How about the fragrances - do you still smell smoke??

The earth and stars are still there...there just isn't a dramatic entrance into the scene like there was before. Everything that was there after the earth and stars is totally removed. There are some new sparkly flickery lights right after the earth and stars, but after that, there is nothing but darkness, and you watch the video screen in your vehicle.
The smoke smell is still there. The cavemen are still there. Most of the scenes are exactly the same in the beginning. Some audio-animatronic figures have been replaced with newer ones. There are some new scenes towards the end of the first part of the ride. The family watching tv has been redone, and there are 2 computer scenes after that which are new. Other than that, the first part of the ride is basically the same, but with the different narration.

I heard it is narrated by a female voice now. How does the narration compare to the old voice? Have they changed the monologue? The new additions sound very disappointing. I'm glad I got to ride it on the last day it was opened before construction began.

oh no that really bums me out! hopefully it will be open when I get there next w/e so I can check it out :confused3

well maybe since it isn't officially re-opening til Feb maybe there is still hope

I don't like the idea of having no scenes in the second half of the ride and just having a video playing in the car. Sounds pretty lame to me. I enjoyed sitting back and relaxing during the decent. I don't want to have to answer questions and watch a lame video.:sad2:

Oh no!!! Just what they did to Figment!!! Why do they keep fixing things that aren't broken? I can see them tweaking it a little, to keep up with technology, buy this is so sad.

How about the soundtrack? Same sort of thing as the previous version, or new music? Is there, perchance, a song?

I'll have to check it out on Monday and see if it's open. Even if it's the lamest lame that ever lamed, it's Spaceship Earth. It's just felt wrong to go to Epcot and not take a ride in the big golf ball, you know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter