Space Mountain: different with the new trim brakes?

:welcome: ...
[I thought I was the only one who felt the 2009 refurb actually made the ride worse! And, it only took nine months and over $12 million dollars! :lmao:

~We rode Space Mountain right after the refurb and I was totally stunned afterwards. Granted, there was a huge improvement aesthetically but the ride was considerably rough! :(
:(

Thank you so much for posting this - it's taken years off of my attitude! DH and I thought we'd hit that horrible age milestone called "too old for Space Mountain!" But the ride is actually rougher, so maybe we didn't suddenly became old-farts. Halleluiah!!! :rotfl:

Well - since it's Halloween, I guess it's fitting to bring things back from the dead. :)

We rode Space several times on different days during our honeymoon at Disney (Oct 19-28), and we DEFINITELY noticed that it was significantly slower than we remembered last time (May of last year). We both said that BTMRR felt faster than Space this time.

Also, when we rode Space one night, it was really lit up inside, wasn't dark at all? Is this is a normal thing?

We rode it early this month and when we got off I said something felt different but was not sure what it was:confused3:confused3. The two drops where you would normally get air time was not there, and it seemed smoother. Now I know what happened.

Next time you are in the blue strobe tunnel, just look at the track down its length as it appears before you - its not even close to straight with the naked eye!
If you read this article here that talks about the history of the ride from one of its designers - deep in the article he talks about the workmanship of the track at WDW when built left a lot to be desired!

Clearly, the addition of the trim brake system is to allow for a longer service life of the sleds and track by decreasing wear and tear on the current track - which I have to assume at this point is reach the very end of its useful life. The building itself, however, probably has a service life of 60 years + with its concrete/steel construction that doesn't bear loads beyond its own weight.

As much as I love WDW space for its nostalgia (I can remember trips in my teen years when we would ride it over and over until park close), I think this ride will soon go down for a complete track rebuild. When they do, I really hope they utilize more of that available space (much of the interior volume at the upper end of the dome is not used at all), while paying homage to the original theme of the current version we all know and love.

What I would add:

- Change the strobe tunnel to incorporate a 'warp field' like effect a la any spaceflight movie (star trek comes to mind)
- Keep the current lift hill scene, add silent lift chain (think mine train/Everest), animatronic space men/console operators
- planetarium quality dome projections with LED stars throughout the ride structure itself

If they really did make it slower, wonderful because Space Mountain was already way to thrilling... fail.

Space Mtn. was my absolute favorite ride at WDW until they made changes in '09(?). In 2011 it just about about hurt my back enough to ruin my trip and I was scared to ride it for a long time.

I went for it again during this past trip in Oct. and I can now say it's my favorite ride again. We rode it several times - smooth and just an overall blast.

~So, instead of just replacing the track to make the ride smoother, they take the cheap way out by adding a few ill placed brakes. Space Mountain is supposed be fast. I guess Disney will keep adding brakes in lieu of maintenance until every ride is akin to the people mover.

The one in Disneyland...

I'll have to try SM again..I had stopped riding because I thought it was too much jostling for not enough payoff.

I hadn't heard about these new brakes until this thread, but when we rode SM during our October trip, we definitely noticed that the ride was less rough than in previous years. I was warning my g.f. that she should hang on because it was quite rough when I came to WDW with the folks in 2012. But the ride was actually fairly smooth this time. I would say that these new brakes are an improvement.

We rode Space several times on different days during our honeymoon at Disney (Oct 19-28), and we DEFINITELY noticed that it was significantly slower than we remembered last time (May of last year). We both said that BTMRR felt faster than Space this time.

Also, when we rode Space one night, it was really lit up inside, wasn't dark at all? Is this is a normal thing?

Yes, that happened on one of our ride throughs. I don't think it's "normal", but it seems to happen occasionally. I don't know why, but I definitely prefer to experience the ride in the dark.

This was me too. I hadn't ridden it in at least 3 years until last month and was able to walk away with only motion sickness instead of motion sickness and whiplash so I considered it a success. It was my 7 year olds first time so I had to ride and was thankful I didn't get tossed all over the place.

This is a little OT but I have to admit I've always been a little jealous when I hear about DL's Space Mountain. Smoother, faster track...side by side seating...better effects and individual speakers that provide a soundtrack.

It sounds really cool.

This is a little OT but I have to admit I've always been a little jealous when I hear about DL's Space Mountain. Smoother, faster track...side by side seating...better effects and individual speakers that provide a soundtrack.

It sounds really cool.

It is really cool, but it's really a different ride system so they're not directly comparable. Your Space is more like DL's Matterhorn, which is even more painful and doesn't have the comfortable seating your Space has, either. Yours also has a much beter preshow and postshow. Don't sell it short!

"Just replacing"? Replacing the track would be a multi-million, year+ refurbishment for one of their most popular attractions.

Space Mountain's top speed before the new brakes (and probably after) was 28 mph. Not exactly "high-speed." Space Mountain's thrills have always come more from the dark environment and the special effects, not the track layout itself.

All that said, I haven't been on it since the addition of the brakes, so I can't comment on the quality of the new experience. I remain optimistic.

I am 1,000% for changing the track. You only need to look as far as DL to see why.

Before DL's 50th birthday they closed SM in DL for over a year. Yes, it was a big boo Hoo when I was there looking at the walls surrounding the ride.

Well, the new tracks and revamped ride are so so so so much better! The ride is butter smooth, truly a dark ride (you don't see the track), the ride cars are far more comfortable and you sit in a seat, feet flat, back-neck-head supported so it's truly comfortable. There is no comparison to the old DL ride and so much better than WDW's SM. It is so worth the wait.

Also, for those annoyed when a slow bording rider brings the loading to a hault, they have designed a perfect solution. A car and track can be moved off to the side. People can take their time getting in and out of the car---it does not impact general loading. When ready, the car and track are moved into place and POOF, they are off.

I am an EVC rider following an accident. This is such a thoughtful solution to those of us who no longer move as well as we did AND for those who do not like the ride slowed.

Trust me. It would hurt the year it was closed but it would be SO HOT when it reopened.....and for many years following.

It is really cool, but it's really a different ride system so they're not directly comparable. Your Space is more like DL's Matterhorn, which is even more painful and doesn't have the comfortable seating your Space has, either. Yours also has a much beter preshow and postshow. Don't sell it short!

Thanks for putting it into perspective!

I am 1,000% for changing the track. You only need to look as far as DL to see why.

Before DL's 50th birthday they closed SM in DL for over a year. Yes, it was a big boo Hoo when I was there looking at the walls surrounding the ride.

Well, the new tracks and revamped ride are so so so so much better! The ride is butter smooth, truly a dark ride (you don't see the track), the ride cars are far more comfortable and you sit in a seat, feet flat, back-neck-head supported so it's truly comfortable. There is no comparison to the old DL ride and so much better than WDW's SM. It is so worth the wait.

Also, for those annoyed when a slow bording rider brings the loading to a hault, they have designed a perfect solution. A car and track can be moved off to the side. People can take their time getting in and out of the car---it does not impact general loading. When ready, the car and track are moved into place and POOF, they are off.

I am an EVC rider following an accident. This is such a thoughtful solution to those of us who no longer move as well as we did AND for those who do not like the ride slowed.

Trust me. It would hurt the year it was closed but it would be SO HOT when it reopened.....and for many years following.

Uh-oh...now I'm jealous again!

It has to do with the wear and tear on the ride but more importantly the ride vehicles. Trim breaks are common in the roller coaster industry to prevent unnecessary maintenance costs. Having ridden both before and after, the difference to the average rider is minimal at best.

I rode multiple times last week, and didn't notice a difference. :confused3

I am 1,000% for changing the track. You only need to look as far as DL to see why. Before DL's 50th birthday they closed SM in DL for over a year.

Two years, three months, and five days. And they opened early. Wdw won't even put up the NBC overlay on HM for a few months. Space closed for over two years at MK? Unlikely.

I rode multiple times last week, and didn't notice a difference. :confused3

The brakes change happened over a year ago fwiw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter