Space Mountain: different with the new trim brakes?

mikedoyleblogger

DIS Veteran
A month ago there was a discussion about the potential effect of the trim brakes that were installed on Space Mountain over successive weeks in September. Now that the work is done, can anyone talk about whether the ride is appreciably different in some way? Have you noticed whether the ride is better (or worse, or no different) now?

Definitely noticeable at a few points in the ride. Right before the biggest drop in the ride you definitely feel the breaks come on and slow you down right before the drop. That one was actually disappointing as I thought it was the most exciting part of the ride cause you just came around a turn pretty fast and had a pretty quick drop which was a bit longer than the others so you weren't quite expecting it. A few other places I noticed it but that particular drop was what I consider a significant change.

Definitely noticeable at a few points in the ride. Right before the biggest drop in the ride you definitely feel the breaks come on and slow you down right before the drop. That one was actually disappointing as I thought it was the most exciting part of the ride cause you just came around a turn pretty fast and had a pretty quick drop which was a bit longer than the others so you weren't quite expecting it. A few other places I noticed it but that particular drop was what I consider a significant change.

DH was disappointed that they slowed the ride down at that part too. To me, it felt like the ride went a lot faster then it used to, but then again it could very well of been my own imagination :goodvibes. Nonetheless it is still a great ride.

OK, I'm getting older (50+) but I appreciated it this week. I had been down to one ride, but felt OK and was able to ride twice in a row without having neck and back pain all day. I felt the brakes and to me they were at appropriate points.

I didn't know anything about trim brakes being added until I just read your post just now. I rode it twice today and definitely thought it seemed "slower" and that I wasn't jostled around as much on the turns.

Not happy they added the breaks...what's a ride on Space Mountain without a hurting back?

~So, instead of just replacing the track to make the ride smoother, they take the cheap way out by adding a few ill placed brakes. Space Mountain is supposed be fast. I guess Disney will keep adding brakes in lieu of maintenance until every ride is akin to the people mover.

It may just be me, but I rode it earlier this month and after a 6x in a row marathon, I have to say that I had never before felt like I was getting tossed out sideways...and now I do. :laughing:

Actually this is one of the few new things coming out of WDW lately that seems to benefit me. Just when I was ready to take it off of my list, they seem to have read my mind and made some adjustments so I can still ride. Way to go Disney! :cool1:

~So, instead of just replacing the track
"Just replacing"? Replacing the track would be a multi-million, year+ refurbishment for one of their most popular attractions.

Space Mountain is supposed be fast.
Space Mountain's top speed before the new brakes (and probably after) was 28 mph. Not exactly "high-speed." Space Mountain's thrills have always come more from the dark environment and the special effects, not the track layout itself.

All that said, I haven't been on it since the addition of the brakes, so I can't comment on the quality of the new experience. I remain optimistic.

We rode several times a few weeks ago, and loved it as usual. Part of the experience may be preconceived notions when you walk in though...my DW actually thought it felt faster than she remembered. If you're going in expecting it to feel slower, you might notice it more. The only thing I noticed was I thought it felt smoother. It's a great ride, and always worth it.

"Just replacing"? Replacing the track would be a multi-million, year+ refurbishment for one of their most popular attractions.

Space Mountain's top speed before the new brakes (and probably after) was 28 mph. Not exactly "high-speed." Space Mountain's thrills have always come more from the dark environment and the special effects, not the track layout itself.

All that said, I haven't been on it since the addition of the brakes, so I can't comment on the quality of the new experience. I remain optimistic.
~Well, from my understanding Disney had an opportunity to properly address this matter back in 2009, when they took Space Mountain offline for nine months. And, I've read that the track in Disneyland is so much smoother.

~The "brakes" just seem like a quick fix for a much larger problem, but I guess it's cheaper to keep buying new brakes like you would with a run down Chevy. I *love* Space Mountain & I would hate to see it become the hoopty of the roller coaster world.
:scared:

~Well, from my understanding Disney had an opportunity to properly address this matter back in 2009, when they took Space Mountain offline for nine months. And, I've read that the track in Disneyland is so much smoother.

~The "brakes" just seem like a quick fix for a much larger problem, but I guess it's cheaper to keep buying new brakes like you would with a run down Chevy. I *love* Space Mountain & I would hate to see it become the hoopty of the roller coaster world.
:scared:

It has to do with the wear and tear on the ride but more importantly the ride vehicles. Trim breaks are common in the roller coaster industry to prevent unnecessary maintenance costs. Having ridden both before and after, the difference to the average rider is minimal at best.

When I went to MK the past Sunday. I did notice it as well how it slightly slows down at the drop.

~So, instead of just replacing the track to make the ride smoother, they take the cheap way out by adding a few ill placed brakes. Space Mountain is supposed be fast. I guess Disney will keep adding brakes in lieu of maintenance until every ride is akin to the people mover.

I'm a DLR vet, but I do love Space at Magic Kingdom (actually there are some really neat things at MK!) I was disappointed when MK didn't get the major refurb that was planned. DL's definitely made the ride smoother and better.

I think the original problem isn't just that they shortened Space's refurb at MK, but that whatever changes they did make to the ride made the ride worse (as in, more painful) than it was before. So now they've gone in and tried to remedy the problem, and most likely the only way they can afford right now is by installing trim brakes.

What they probably really need is to re-profile certain sections of track to eliminate the jostling that the 2009 refurb caused, but they can't afford to do so. (Or perhaps just don't want to fund the expense.)

The positive thing is that at least WDW knows there's a problem in the mountain big enough to necessitate money and attention. The negative thing is that, at least right now, judging by some of the above comments, the chosen solution dampens the ride experience by slowing down the rockets during key parts of the ride when they are supposed to be moving faster--and originally did move faster, more comfortably, before the 2009 refurb.

Maybe it will help WDW finally realize that Space still needs that major refurb. Time will tell, I guess.

It has to do with the wear and tear on the ride but more importantly the ride vehicles. Trim breaks are common in the roller coaster industry to prevent unnecessary maintenance costs. Having ridden both before and after, the difference to the average rider is minimal at best.
:welcome: ~Okay, I see what you mean & I agree that the average guest probably won't mind or notice. :goodvibes

When I went to MK the past Sunday. I did notice it as well how it slightly slows down at the drop.
~Wow, I'm trying to picture that and it's so weird, lol. :lmao:

I'm a DLR vet, but I do love Space at Magic Kingdom (actually there are some really neat things at MK!) I was disappointed when MK didn't get the major refurb that was planned. DL's definitely made the ride smoother and better.

I think the original problem isn't just that they shortened Space's refurb at MK, but that whatever changes they did make to the ride made the ride worse (as in, more painful) than it was before. So now they've gone in and tried to remedy the problem, and most likely the only way they can afford right now is by installing trim brakes.

What they probably really need is to re-profile certain sections of track to eliminate the jostling that the 2009 refurb caused, but they can't afford to do so. (Or perhaps just don't want to fund the expense.)

The positive thing is that at least WDW knows there's a problem in the mountain big enough to necessitate money and attention. The negative thing is that, at least right now, judging by some of the above comments, the chosen solution dampens the ride experience by slowing down the rockets during key parts of the ride when they are supposed to be moving faster--and originally did move faster, more comfortably, before the 2009 refurb.

Maybe it will help WDW finally realize that Space still needs that major refurb. Time will tell, I guess.
~Great comment and thanks for the insight! I thought I was the only one who felt the 2009 refurb actually made the ride worse! And, it only took nine months and over $12 million dollars! :lmao:

~We rode Space Mountain right after the refurb and I was totally stunned afterwards. Granted, there was a huge improvement aesthetically but the ride was considerably rough! :(

~So basically, Space Mountain at Disneyland is like the fabulous Neiman Marcus flagship store and WDW's version is more akin to the Last Call outlet store. While both are cut fabulously from the same cloth one is far more superior than the other. ***sigh***
:(

~So basically, Space Mountain at Disneyland is like the fabulous Neiman Marcus flagship store and WDW's version is more akin to the Last Call outlet store. While both are cut fabulously from the same cloth one is far more superior than the other. ***sigh***
:(

I wouldn't say that. DL's Space is usually considered better in terms of the actual ride and on-ride show (I definitely think it's more thrilling), but it's a different ride completely. Different track, trains, building. MK's Space is modeled after Matterhorn's ride system, and MK's Space is definitely more thrilling than Matterhorn (and perhaps equally painful.)

Even compared to DL's Space, MK's Space clearly has better entrance and exit queues, MK's boarding area is in much better shape, both mountains probably equally often have broken star effects in the ride (those moments when you roll into a part of the mountain and wonder why it's so dark/where the stars went), the music sometimes cuts in and out on DL's version, DL's allegedly smooth track has gotten *a lot* less smooth in the years since the mid-2000s rebuild (you can hear the wheels screech against the track now), and the blue tunnel at DL has had most (probably closer to 80%) of its lights burned out for most of this year. (And that last part is very depressing!)

MK's Space definitely brings a lot to the table!

Yes, WDW's track needs the major work it was slated for in 2009 when the money ran out (the switch to on-board audio would be nice, too). But if this cheaper patch means I can still ride without needing twenty minutes of neck stretches afterwards to stave off a migraine, I'll settle for it without grumbling too much.

If I can get off the ride without feeling like I was inside the gorilla's suitcase in the old American Tourister luggage commercial, then it's great by me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter