Southern California (& Disneyland): Backstage Magic Meets Thread

I have to say, after being on this trip twice, I think some of those kids are way too young. It does depend on the child, but on one trip we had two ten year olds. One lapped it all up. The other, along with his mom, spent A LOT of time at the pool. She missed so much of the trip she went again. We were roomies on the second trip and her son stayed home. He has referred to it as "A's" Boring Disney trip. Also, the trip does pull back the curtain on some of the magic. I don't know if the guides would take the kids on a separate section for the younger ones. Just something to consider. If your son is really into the how and wants to be an Imagineer, he might love it.

I agree with the points above. I think 6 is just way too young and I think the 8 and 10 year olds it will depend on their interest in the topics. I replied on another thread about the makeup of our trip two weeks ago and why I thought it was good. Kids were 11.5 (mine), 12,13(mine), 13,13, 13,16. It was a really good range of ages. And, all of them were Disney freaks who were interested in and had knowledge of how things work at Disney. All 6 of the kids on our trip loved it and I did not ever hear one complaint of being bored. I think even at the older ages this trip needs a pre-disposition to Disney/Imagineering and not just a love of rides and theme parks. I am still working on my trip report, but please follow along for more info.

Starting to plan for my shopping now - can anyone tell me where's best to get Dooney bags and Pandora charms?

And do I need to keep some pennies aside for the Studio Store?

Starting to plan for my shopping now - can anyone tell me where's best to get Dooney bags and Pandora charms?

And do I need to keep some pennies aside for the Studio Store?
Not sure about the Dooneys or Pandora charms (although I know they had a lot of Pandora at World of Disney). But as far as the Studio Store is concerned, I'd say YES! They have exclusive T-shirts, pins, plushes, etc, there. And from what I hear, you'll REALLY want some money for Mickey's of Glendale!

Sayhello

Not sure about the Dooneys or Pandora charms (although I know they had a lot of Pandora at World of Disney). But as far as the Studio Store is concerned, I'd say YES! They have exclusive T-shirts, pins, plushes, etc, there. And from what I hear, you'll REALLY want some money for Mickey's of Glendale!

Sayhello
Is that also part of the tour?
When do we go there and what does it sell?

Is that also part of the tour?
When do we go there and what does it sell?
It's a part of the Imagineering part of the tour and sells Imagineering branded exclusive stuff (shirts, pins, mugs, etc).

Sayhello

Last edited:

Squeeee! Might have to up the merch budget!

Yes - Merch budget needs to be upped for those first few days. Shopping at Imagineering was great. Take time to look all around as there were lots of unique branded items. For Dooney, the Big World of Disney store in downtown disney has the best selection. There is also a store in CA that has a decent selection. I can't remember the name right now, but it is across the street from Carthay going towards the "Hollywood" section. It has several rooms and the room furthest down towards Hollywood has some nice women's fashion and jewelry items that I never see at other stores. One of my other favorite shops (not for Dooney and Pandora though) is across from the Jungle Cruise entrance. Lots of fun things in there. Also don't miss the shop across from the arcade in Frontierland. Since you will be there in October it will have lots of Christmas themed items by then, i think (we usually go for Halloween and Christmas items are out). Also, don't miss the store with all of the Haunted Mansion merch.

Hello! Thank you for all the information in this thread! We just booked The July 30, 2017 trip for me, DH and DD then 8. There are a lot of kids on that trip, which I like, ages 6, 8, 11, 11, 13, 13, 16. It'll be our first ABD but we've done a few DCL and are WDW vets.

Hi! Just wondering where you got the information with all the kids' ages? Is there another post somewhere? My family will be on that trip, too. It will be me, DH, and DD 15 at the time.

Hi! Just wondering where you got the information with all the kids' ages? Is there another post somewhere? My family will be on that trip, too. It will be me, DH, and DD 15 at the time.

I look forward to meeting you! The ABD agent told me when I called them directly.

I look forward to meeting you! The ABD agent told me when I called them directly.
Hmmm...I wonder why they didn't have my daughter's age listed. We've been booked since they opened the 2017 dates! She was 13 when we originally booked. Maybe she's one of the 13yos? Did they tell you how many boys/girls were going?

Looking forward to the trip! :)

do I need to keep some pennies aside for the Studio Store?
The Studio Store is more like a regular store. There may be a special shirt logo merchandise, but nothing to get excited about. What you really want to save your pennies for is Mickey's of Glendale. Lots of special Imagineering merchandise there.

This us getting close...beyond excited. Added bonus will be meeting Kevin and John. Yes, we'll be having quite the merch budget.
You'll find that traveling with Kevin and John is a lot of fun. Kevin is a wonderful story teller and John plays the straight man to his jokes so well. Listen closely when John talks, you'll find a subtle whit.

Will you be there OKW Lover? You seem like quite the experienced DISer (I'd probably ask you about your other ABD trips). This one is local for us and just dipping our toes into the water. My DW is very personable but my DD and myself are much more reserved and shy around new people so I'm a little apprehensive about how we'll manage w/ so many new people.
You'll find that traveling with Kevin and John is a lot of fun. Kevin is a wonderful story teller and John plays the straight man to his jokes so well. Listen closely when John talks, you'll find a subtle whit.
Based on their last trip I had thought that John was more of the joker of the two.

Will you be there OKW Lover?
Yes, Val & I are on this adventure with you. Be sure you introduce yourself to us and mention your screen name when you do. You'll find Val & I easy to talk to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter