Soo confused about the hotel discounts!

littlelionsam

Earning My Ears
I feel silly, but I'm still confused about the hotel discounts. My family wants to visit, and they're trying to figure out booking hotels and whatnot. I know I cannot get a discount until I'm officially a CM, so can they make the reservation now and then I change it? Or can they not be guaranteed a discounted reservation until after I get my ID?

I feel silly, but I'm still confused about the hotel discounts. My family wants to visit, and they're trying to figure out booking hotels and whatnot. I know I cannot get a discount until I'm officially a CM, so can they make the reservation now and then I change it? Or can they not be guaranteed a discounted reservation until after I get my ID?

Don't feel silly! There are a lot of factors that go into getting the room discount.

Your parents can make the reservation whenever they want, but the reservation will be at the "rack rate". Once you get your cast ID all you will need your parent's reservation number. Once you have the reservation number all you need to do is go to the front desk of whichever hotel they are staying at, give the cast member the reservation number and tell them you'd like to apply your cast discount. Easy as that.

**However** if the reservation is for thanksgiving or the period around christmas/new years don't count on getting a HUGE discount (if you get one at all). I've heard the discount can vary from 30% to, what my parents got, 55% during slow season depending on occupancy rate/season/day of the week/special events.

Don't feel silly! There are a lot of factors that go into getting the room discount.

Your parents can make the reservation whenever they want, but the reservation will be at the "rack rate". Once you get your cast ID all you will need your parent's reservation number. Once you have the reservation number all you need to do is go to the front desk of whichever hotel they are staying at, give the cast member the reservation number and tell them you'd like to apply your cast discount. Easy as that.

Wait wait! This is incorrect. You can make a reservation but the only way to change it to a CM discount is to call the Cast reservation line! They can usually transfer over the reservation, but there are only a limited number of rooms available for the CM discount at any time so you may end up changing hotels. You do need to show your ID at check in or up to 10 days before. They cannot make any changes to your reservation at the hotel!! In fact when guests would "walk up" and want a AAA or FL resident discount we would hand them the phone and instruct them to call the reservation line. They can only sell rooms at rack rate at the front desk.

They can only sell rooms at rack rate at the front desk

Actually, that is incorrect. It is possible to book rooms at the CM rate at the Front Desk. HOWEVER, it can only be 24 hours in advance. Not a recommended way to book, but it is possible.

Had a friend in town and she wanted to extend another day, was able to book at the FD.

Actually, that is incorrect. It is possible to book rooms at the CM rate at the Front Desk. HOWEVER, it can only be 24 hours in advance. Not a recommended way to book, but it is possible.

Had a friend in town and she wanted to extend another day, was able to book at the FD.

I suppose I should have mentioned that this was from when I did front desk in 2010. :)

I suppose I should have mentioned that this was from when I did front desk in 2010.

Heh, 2010 was an interesting time, they switched from DPMS to Lilo in October 2010. Now that [most] of the bugs are worked out, there is much more functionality.

Wait wait! This is incorrect. You can make a reservation but the only way to change it to a CM discount is to call the Cast reservation line! They can usually transfer over the reservation, but there are only a limited number of rooms available for the CM discount at any time so you may end up changing hotels. You do need to show your ID at check in or up to 10 days before. They cannot make any changes to your reservation at the hotel!! In fact when guests would "walk up" and want a AAA or FL resident discount we would hand them the phone and instruct them to call the reservation line. They can only sell rooms at rack rate at the front desk.

Oops, forgot the part where you need to call. You'd think I'd know better after doing it myself

So, eadavis, how would you recommend going about trying to get a CM discount for my family?

Also, thanks so much to everyone that replied! :)

So, eadavis, how would you recommend going about trying to get a CM discount for my family?

Also, thanks so much to everyone that replied! :)

If you are a CM at time of booking:
Go on the HUB > "Your Discounts" (Yellow tab on the Side)>"Discounts on Disney Experiences">"Walt Disney World Resort Room Discount">From there choose the offer that you want. There is currently the Spring Offer which includes a dining plan discount. The page includes information for pricing and how to book. You can also just book a room through this site as well.

You must verify your Cast ID at least within days of arrival, or be present at check-in to verify Cast ID.

If you are not a CM at time of booking:

Book room (only book the room, no package add-ons like the dining plan) and save the reservation info. Once you become a CM, log into the HUB (instructions above) and call the number that is listed. They can modify your reservation.

In addition, Cast Members at the Front Desk have the ability to cancel and re-book the reservation at the Front-Desk, this is a very time-consuming process and NOT reccommended.

Does anyone know if I can use the hotel discount for a reservation after my program ends if I book it during my program?

In addition, Cast Members at the Front Desk have the ability to cancel and re-book the reservation at the Front-Desk, this is a very time-consuming process and NOT reccommended.

If it's a room only reservation, it's not actually all that time consuming. Takes about 5 minutes, assuming the person that's helping you knows what they're doing. Some of the newer folks don't know how, and it can take longer, or there could be a wait for them to find a supervisor or someone else that's Room Operations trained to help them with the process.

Keep in mind, the dining plan MUST be added before your arrival, by the Disney Reservation Center. Cast members at the front desk can't add the dining plan to a reservation once you arrive.

Does anyone know if I can use the hotel discount for a reservation after my program ends if I book it during my program?

Discounts are available to those who are a currently active cast member at the time of the hotel stay. A valid cast ID may be requested at check in. So if you are no longer employed, you are no longer eligible to use that discount.

Does anyone know if they have offered dining discount for cast members for the end of August yet? We have our room already, but our CM has not had the time to get back on the hub to check it out in the last few days.

You can only get the discount when you are actually a cast member, BUT....

My daughter was in the college program last fall which ended this January. So she is no longer a cast member. Trust me you will make alot of friends (she did) Many of them will probably extend or work there permanently.

One of her many friends that are still there actually booked a stay for us for this coming August and we recieved the 40% friends and family discount.

Now having said that, remember that this is for the ROOM ONLY. She couldnt book us a package on the HUB(they call it) and she can only get us tickets when we arrive if she is available to buy the tickets when we arrive She has to pay for them. So we basically have to give her the cash and she would have to use her credit card. But they might except the cash not sure? AND the ticket discount is only 10-15% i think. Not really substantial. But it is substantial enough to go through the trouble if she is willing to help us. Our tickets are coming out to $390 each for 4 of us, which is $1560.00 total before tax. even 10% would drop the price to $351.00 each or $1404.00 before tax. So basically we would be saving the TAX. Because after tax it would bring it right back up to 1560.00. So it is worth it, and if it is a 15% savings that would really be great. The cast member friend who is helping us is that GREAT and has vacation time accumulated and said she would meet us as we check in and take us right to the location where we could buy the tickets. So this will be so kind of her.

We will be taking her out for a nice meal, and my daughter and her want to go out several times in the evenings (Clubbing and such) both have recently turned 21 lol. So we will definetly make it up to her and make sure she does not spend a dime when she is with us. Plus we always buy food for the room to save on dining and other sundries, so we will give her all of our leftover stuff when we leave. Trust me you run into cash pinches and even getting free cases of pop and water or some food helps alot for you apartment stay.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and or need any advice. I am not a pro by any means but I know what my daughter went through and there are a few words of wisdom I can offer.

Congrats and Good Luck to the OP and to any and all others who are going into the program!!!!!

Does anyone know if they have offered dining discount for cast members for the end of August yet? We have our room already, but our CM has not had the time to get back on the hub to check it out in the last few days.

Right now the dining discount only goes through August 17.

Right now the dining discount only goes through August 17.

How much is the Dining Discount? We will be there Aug 2nd through the 11th and used a CM to purchase our room. Can she also add the dinning? AND How much of a discount is it?

I'm pretty sure the current discount is only 15% for family and friends , closer to 40% if the CP OR CM stays in the room with you

I'm pretty sure the current discount is only 15% for family and friends , closer to 40% if the CP OR CM stays in the room with you

That's incorrect...the discount is 40% for friends/family, or 50% if the CM is in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter