Some of the magic is lost for me now... what are your feelings?

Life sucks, Unfortunately this while very sad will not affect my vacation plans in the future. I survived 9/11 so i am grateful for every day I have. No one is promised tomorrow so live for today

I'm a Floridian, I live in this state. Also, this isn't about violence...it's about a lack of Disney spirit.

I'm an Orlandoan, and although I haven't been on Disney property since before these tragic events, I will say there is a lot of love going around right now in this city. It's a somber time to be sure, but I know myself and so many others are being kinder and spreading more compassion than before. Everywhere I go people just seem to be nicer. I believe there will still be magic on your trip, if you decide to go. That's what helps us get through these things.

I am not going to punish the CM of Disney and the local people by cancelling. They need the Buisness and support. I have never not had a great time there and each trip in 17 years of going now has been unique. I have been there ill, I have been to the ER, medical room at the parks , After incidents , after calm , when the exchange rate was higher , lower and in between. If you feel not able to go don't skip a year. But I'm all in!

This will not affect my vacation plans. After growing up in "murder capital USA" and still working in that city, I don't let things of the world stop me from living my life. If I did I would have stopped living a long time ago.

My heart goes out to this family. Even last night while chatting with my BF about it, I still couldn't wrap my head around how someone went on vacation and won't be bringing their baby home. It still won't stop me from vacationing. As sad as it is, life goes on.

It does "take the wind out of my sails" a bit. It is depressing and tragic and I know it will be on my mind for our next trip.

Unfortunately, tragedy happens everywhere. I am terribly sad and sorry for Lane and his family.

Considering the millions of people who visit every year, Disney property is amazingly safe.

We were there at the end of May and had a fabulous time. We wouldn't hesitate to go back.

There are so many other day to day things that I worry about ( car accidents with the 5 drivers in my family, ds who just had an open appendectomy, my 96 year old Gran's health, my mom's health, etc.). I don't worry about the other long shot what if's. I'd surely have to be medicated if I did.

We have a trip booked for this August as well. I feel awful for what has transpired in Orlando and understand some of the magic gone and the reality of the present state has set in your heart. For us I am looking back at all the fabulous memories we have had and going forward with an attitude and feeling of thankfulness that we have been fortunate to not experience such a tragedy.

No, I don't feel the same OP. We have a trip planned for September & I am still looking forward to it & can't wait for it to get here. It is just my DH & myself, we go once or twice a year. My DH manages a factory, works 60 hour weeks & is under tremendous pressure & stress. It affects our lives every day. At WDW, he is relaxed & we just enjoy being together. I have family & friends who have lost parents, children & spouses at very young ages so I know we have to cherish each day we have.

I make it a point to travel on/around Sept 11. I'll be dipped if I let deranged nuts take my freedom, joy or way of life away. I agree with previous posters, we show support for victims & the Orlando area by continuing with our plans, not abandoning the area.

I am inclined to consider the toddlers death as a tragic, unforeseen freak circumstance. I don't believe for 1 minute that any Disney employee or manager ever expected something like that to happen any more than the parents did. I am sure they will do what they can to prevent this tragedy from ever being repeated. But I also have never completely abandoned common sense or awareness of my surroundings on vacation, even at WDW. So it's not like I lost any false sense of security with this event.

We will be staying at GF for part of our trip. I am sure I will think of that little boy & his family. But it will make me appreciate my family & every minute we have together even more.

Good luck with your decision. What ever you decide to do, I hope you find your own special joy being with the people you love.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your dismay OP.

I think you should plan a trip elsewhere this summer. Try out a place you've thought about but haven't gone to.
Perhaps by next year, you'll be ready again.

Try living here, OP. In the spirit of honesty, your post struck a nerve.

I hope you get out of your funk and are able to enjoy your trip to Disney. Like others have said, maybe try a different vacation spot in August, and then hopefully for your next trip to WDW you'll find your Disney spirit has returned and is stronger than ever!

The OP is a Floridian.

The OP is a Floridian.

Yes, I know this. She's mentioned it a few times throughout the thread.

I meant try living here in Orlando. Where I live. Where at times the grief and sadness smothers you to the point you can't breathe.

Hopefully she can find her Disney spirit soon!

I find it ironic that much of the magic of Disney is built around stories with tragedy that ultimately have a happy ending. But now Disney has a tragedy and people are ready to give up on it. Like the stories teach us, life goes on and we can make the best of it. That's how we find our happy endings and bring back the magic.

Yes, I know this. She's mentioned it a few times throughout the thread.

I meant try living here in Orlando. Where I live. Where at times the grief and sadness smothers you to the point you can't breathe.

Hopefully she can find her Disney spirit soon!

It's been hard for me to leave the house.. I keep intending to go downtown, but I can't. I need to, though. I need to be with the community. But I feel you on the grief. Just going about my day I keep feeling the tears well up. We are not alone in this.

It does "take the wind out of my sails" a bit. It is depressing and tragic and I know it will be on my mind for our next trip.
I have to admit that I feel the same way. I can't stop thinking about it. Our next trip to WDW is in September and it will also be on my mind then.

Not me! I am going to be in Florida in November and just booked a couple of nights at WDW yesterday. Really getting that feeling of anticipation again. But then, I do not take these events to heart as much as some. While sad, I believe everyone else's lives must go on. We went to Europe at Thanksgiving, flying just a week after the terrorist attacks in France.

Sad things happen everywhere, every day.
It's tragic about this poor baby boy indeed.
Myself, I've seen 2 horrible accidents at Disney but - that's why they're called accidents.
We go on.. Walt inspired the magic and it will always be there for me.

I'd have no issue going. My wife and her mom, while not going into the parks, just booked a DVC stay there to have some time together. I wish I could join them.

I have to admit that I feel the same way. I can't stop thinking about it. Our next trip to WDW is in September and it will also be on my mind then.
Our next trip is the end of Aug./beginning of Sept. and this has really hit me hard, which is not the norm, but for whatever reason I just can't get it out of my head. Maybe it's because I have a daughter almost 2 or maybe because it's a place we vacation often and a place that I would never think something like this would happen. I think part of it is there was just really no fault (yes I know the whole no swimming thing, but in my mind they weren't swimming just walking in the very shallow part etc.) And while my kids and I have never touched the water at Disney, I know and have seen many that do and I never really thought of them as in danger. I think also just the thought of as a parent having that happen right in front of your eyes just crushes me. Tonight as I was looking outside a Lil after 9 it was still pretty light here, so again would diminish the thought of danger in my mind.

I just don't know how you go on after something like this and how you attempt to be a decent parent to the older sibling...I just can't imagine and hurt for this family. I know they'll be on my mind during our next trip.

Our next trip is the end of Aug./beginning of Sept. and this has really hit me hard, which is not the norm, but for whatever reason I just can't get it out of my head. Maybe it's because I have a daughter almost 2 or maybe because it's a place we vacation often and a place that I would never think something like this would happen. I think part of it is there was just really no fault (yes I know the whole no swimming thing, but in my mind they weren't swimming just walking in the very shallow part etc.) And while my kids and I have never touched the water at Disney, I know and have seen many that do and I never really thought of them as in danger. I think also just the thought of as a parent having that happen right in front of your eyes just crushes me. Tonight as I was looking outside a Lil after 9 it was still pretty light here, so again would diminish the thought of danger in my mind.

I just don't know how you go on after something like this and how you attempt to be a decent parent to the older sibling...I just can't imagine and hurt for this family. I know they'll be on my mind during our next trip.

I know exactly what you're feeling.

My children were about seven and eight when Beslan happened, and 385 people died, 186 of whom were children the same age as mine. It hit me SO hard. Lining up at the beginning of school. Parents bringing their children to school. A little girl murdered, because she couldn't stop crying. Every new detail I heard from the news felt like a new wound.

For weeks, I felt like I was bleeding inside, long enough I actually started to wonder if I'd ever stop hurting. Every time I looked at my kids, I remembered the ones who had died, and I felt sad. And I had to hide it and put on a happy face, because I knew I was being irrational. I mean, sheesh, how self-absorbed and selfish could I be, to be making someone else's pain mine? Castigating myself for feeling bad, didn't exactly help me feel better. ;)

But, eventually, it did get better. Turned out all I needed to do was just be patient and give myself time.

By your next trip, they'll certainly be on your mind, but your feelings won't be as raw. You'll be okay. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter