Solo Trip from the UK

Cubits

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I've been looking at potentially doing the Disneyland® Resort and Southern California adventure next year. I'd be going solo, and wanted to know how anyone else had found it if they had gone solo? Is it the sort of thing that can work well on your own, or would it be better with someone?

In addition, coming from the UK I'm not able to ask Adventures by Disney any questions on their site, due to not being in North America/Canada. Does anyone know how flights would work for this? The unfortunate reality is no flights from London arrive before 3:30pm (without going through immigration, etc), so would opt to go the day before as the site says 1pm is the cutoff for collection from LAX. I wondered if staying in a hotel overnight at LAX could be an option, to then be picked up the next day at 11/12 from the airport, but I'm not sure if they'd accommodate this.

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Hi All,

I've been looking at potentially doing the Disneyland® Resort and Southern California adventure next year. I'd be going solo, and wanted to know how anyone else had found it if they had gone solo? Is it the sort of thing that can work well on your own, or would it be better with someone?

In addition, coming from the UK I'm not able to ask Adventures by Disney any questions on their site, due to not being in North America/Canada. Does anyone know how flights would work for this? The unfortunate reality is no flights from London arrive before 3:30pm (without going through immigration, etc), so would opt to go the day before as the site says 1pm is the cutoff for collection from LAX. I wondered if staying in a hotel overnight at LAX could be an option, to then be picked up the next day at 11/12 from the airport, but I'm not sure if they'd accommodate this.

Thanks in advance everyone :)
I haven't done this specific ABD, but have done over a dozen ABDs as a solo, so i can hopefully answer some of your questions.

ABDs are fabulous for solos. The Adventure Guides really work to make everyone on the trip feel like a part of a big family, and I find the others on the trip to in general be very inclusive, asking me to join them for various activities and meals.

Personally, I never arrive the day an ABD starts, I always arrive at *least* a day ahead of time to leave room for flight issues, and time to adjust to the time change. The area around LAX is not the nicest, although you definitely *could* stay at an airport hotel with a shuttle, and go back to the airport the next day to get picked up. I did that for the Arizona/Utah trip.

However, you could also contact ABD (however you contacted them to make your reservation) and see if they are offering any pre-nights at the Loews Hotel. If you book your pre-night through ABD your transportation is still included, and they will pick you up from the airport whenever you arrive the day before, and take you to the hotel, so you will already be there for the start of the ABD. Your breakfast for that extra morning should also be included. The pre-day can just be added on to your reservation and paid off when you pay in full for the trip.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Also, have you tried contacting ABD via email? I'm not sure what their policy is about answering questions via email, but I can't imagine that they wouldn't.

vacationistas@adventuresbydisney.com

They also have an online form on their website that you can use to ask questions.

https://www.adventuresbydisney.com/contact/

Sayhello

Last edited:
I did this trip solo last summer and am doing it again this year, so that may be your answer. But to further elaborate, ABD is surprisingly great at accommodating all types of travelers in the same group. As a solo, you can choose to be as involved with the group as you want. But since you're surrounded by other hardcore Disney fans, it's very easy to talk with anyone on the trip, eat with them, spend time in the parks with them, and plan some activities together for free time. I spent the first full Disneyland park day on my own just stacking up attractions, but the arrival night and second day I spent with a few people from the group. The guides are also great about pairing you up for group activities, talking with you during downtime if you'd like, and taking photos. Aside from the extra cost, it's a great tour to do solo.

When it comes to arriving early, you'll definitely want to from the UK. You can book a night in the Lowe's Hollywood hotel with ABD and they will include your airport pickup and put you in the same room as the first two nights of the adventure. Then you'll have the first day free until the welcome dinner begins. The Warner Brothers Studio Tour and Universal Studios are both close by, or it might be nice to try adjusting to the jetlag and just go for a swim in the pool. IMO it's worth it to just stay there and not at an airport hotel for a day. The area south of the airport is nice enough but it's just easier to stay in Hollywood.

I've done this trip twice as a solo traveler (2015 & 2016) and I agree with everything that's been said so far. On the 2016 trip there were 3 of us solo travelers. While others were resting after long days we were closing the park every night! In 2015 I was on the 60th anniversary trip starting in San Francisco and my driver was an excellent tour guide on the way to the hotel! Don't get me started on the guides for both trips! I can't say enough good things about the staff and fellow travelers I encountered! So don't be shy about doing it solo. I'm hoping to do it again next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter