So will October end up crazy busy...or not?

We've done 4 October trips and I've always found the parks to be moderately crowded, except when we violated the Golden Rules of October Vacations: (1) going to MK on the few non-party days so we could see Wishes; or (2) going to Epcot on the weekends or on evening EMH days.

I think the attendance trend will not only continue into the fall, but will probably continue to fall. Zika becomes scarier the more you know about it and they don't seem to be able to predict when the next breakouts will be, and October is popular with the Brits and I think many may have cancelled due to Brexit concerns. I guess we'll see. I'm a little regretting not having a vacation planned this October because I think crowds are going to be back to the levels we saw in 2011 when we first started going to Disney and never waited more than 20 minutes for any ride.

We have two weeks fall break. Almost everyone I know with kids is going to Disney.

I'm not expecting low crowds but I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Our post secondary schools have "Reading Break" the last week of October and we also have Thanksgiving the same time as Columbus Day but the exchange rate for us is abysmal so it's possible there will be fewer Canadians hanging around the parks this year.

Ive been many times in October. Honestly, its my favorite time of year. The weather is perfect and the crowds are pretty low. We usually arrive the Saturday before Columbus Day. Those first 4 days are pretty crowded at MK and Epcot. Starting the day after Columbus Day, the parks empty out. The reason most hotels are booked is because its a big business/convention time of year. These guests do not go to the parks during the day. Some go nto Epcot on certain nights, but mostly attend group activities or have business dinners. Resorts being full doesnt mean a lot. Enjoy your October trip!

We'll be there during Oct 12-21. My kids are on Fall Break during these weeks. We were able to get most FastPasses and ADRs. Didn't get Frozen FP for our first day. Still looking.:( But, we had to rearrange Animal Kingdom and Hollywood days after found out about hours and Star Wars fireworks at Hollywood and this last minute change has worked out so far. :scared: It makes me optimistically think it won't be terribly busy.

We only have Spring Break from a four years ago to compare. :flower:

We have two weeks fall break. Almost everyone I know with kids is going to Disney.

But one small area can't count for more than a small percentage of attendance. It's not like when people note that entire countries are obstaining due to economic breakdown.

I predict that the first week and a half is going to be crazy because:
  • That's when I'm going and I have that kind of luck.
  • 45th anniversary of the opening of the Magic Kingdom is 10/1/2016.
  • The only October 2016 dates offered for Free Dining were available for check-ins on or before 10/1/2016.
  • Your last chance to see the Yodel Queen Margret Almer and the Bavarian Band live in Epcot is 10/1/16.
  • The Jewish High Holy Days are 10/3, 10/4 and 10/12/16. If you and/or your kids are off those dates and you're not Jewish, what better way to enjoy the time than at Disney?
  • Food & Wine Festival and MNSSHP are in full swing.
  • The Chew TV show is being filmed in Epcot 10/5-10/7.
  • MSEP ends in Florida forever on 10/9.
I'm probably forgetting a few things, but IMO, all signs point to a large number of guests that first week or so of October.

I predict that the first week and a half is going to be crazy because:
  • That's when I'm going and I have that kind of luck.
  • 45th anniversary of the opening of the Magic Kingdom is 10/1/2016.
  • The only October 2016 dates offered for Free Dining were available for check-ins on or before 10/1/2016.
  • Your last chance to see the Yodel Queen Margret Almer and the Bavarian Band live in Epcot is 10/1/16.
  • The Jewish High Holy Days are 10/3, 10/4 and 10/12/16. If you and/or your kids are off those dates and you're not Jewish, what better way to enjoy the time than at Disney?
  • Food & Wine Festival and MNSSHP are in full swing.
  • The Chew TV show is being filmed in Epcot 10/5-10/7.
  • MSEP ends in Florida forever on 10/9.
I'm probably forgetting a few things, but IMO, all signs point to a large number of guests that first week or so of October.

I see what you're saying BUT - F&W and MNSHPP will be in full swing the entire month of October. Personally I don't see the Chew or the Yodel Queen being a huge draw. Yes, MSEP is ending, but notice of that only came a couple of weeks ago. Honestly I don't see droves of people planning entire vacations on the fly. I haven't heard of any special 45th celebrations so that may only appeal to the diehard Disneyists that want to be in the park that day. And free dining? Maybe it added a little, but I've been able to get every ADR I've wanted except for one, and I just started to try and grab that one last night.

And besides, no ROL yet so there's that.

So see, I'm trying really hard to take a glass half full approach. I think we'll be fine :)

The Yodel Queen is actually a real international star. I have been a fan of Miss Almer for years!

Between her show and Blues Traveler at Eat-to-the-Beat, I am thinking that it is going to be a top week for entertainment at WDW.

The Yodel Queen is actually a real international star. I have been a fan of Miss Almer for years!

Between her show and Blues Traveler at Eat-to-the-Beat, I am thinking that it is going to be a top week for entertainment at WDW.

I didn't mean she wasn't respected or well known in her field, I just don't think a 15-minute set from a Bavarian band is going to pack the parks.

Probably true, but there must other Bavarian music fans besides myself. :)

When I booked my trip, I had no idea that her last day there would be the first day of my trip. I am totally psyched that I am going to see her and John Popper in addition to Mickey Mouse and his buds.

going in the end of October

Not one of the MNSSHP nights are sold out yet historically few were sold out before mid August_

None of the magic mornings are sold out, either in MK or HS

Club Villain doesn’t appear to be in high demand either

Party for the Senses for all nights during my trip still available

Stars Wars party doesn’t seem to be flying off the shelves either

Brazil economy & Brexit & Zika & alligator accident & failed to deliver project & reports of extensive building on site & negative reports on cost cuts and waiting times

I think Disney have pushed the prices as far as they can in testing consumer loyalty and may have just found the limits this spring

If you only read the forum and the hype an event availability creates you would imagine super high demand for things as star wars party but it doesn’t seem to be that high

Probably true, but there must other Bavarian music fans besides myself. :)

When I booked my trip, I had no idea that her last day there would be the first day of my trip. I am totally psyched that I am going to see her and John Popper in addition to Mickey Mouse and his buds.
Yeah, but if you -- an admitted fan of this person -- had no idea it was her last shows when you booked, then I can promise you there weren't tons of people rushing to book trips to see her one last time. MK's 45th? Sure. Last MSEP? Yep. Those type of events get people to plan trips around. I know a few people who have November/December trips planned and who decided to book a weekend in early October to see MSEP one last time.

I'm not too concerned about crowds - we are going the first week in October. I'd like it to be low but we'll just wait and see.

I got the FP+ that I needed (FEA of course) so whatever will be, will be. I'm guessing our first day, October 1st, will be crowded because we are going to MK that day and staying to see MSEP

We love the month of October since we enjoy the pools:beach: and relaxing at the resort in addition to F&W! CAN'T WAIT!:drinking1

going in the end of October

Not one of the MNSSHP nights are sold out yet historically few were sold out before mid August_

None of the magic mornings are sold out, either in MK or HS

Club Villain doesn’t appear to be in high demand either

Party for the Senses for all nights during my trip still available

Stars Wars party doesn’t seem to be flying off the shelves either

Brazil economy & Brexit & Zika & alligator accident & failed to deliver project & reports of extensive building on site & negative reports on cost cuts and waiting times

I think Disney have pushed the prices as far as they can in testing consumer loyalty and may have just found the limits this spring

If you only read the forum and the hype an event availability creates you would imagine super high demand for things as star wars party but it doesn’t seem to be that high
I am going in the end of oct and I went on to what resorts were opened yet and they look all full

After all of the blogs and TR's I've read stating how very slow the summer has been, I can't help but wonder when the crowds will ramp back up? The opinions on that seem to be quite mixed.

F&W will bring lots of folks to Epcot, especially locals on the weekends. It sounds like on-site hotels are pretty booked up as well.

On the other hand I've been able get get every FP+ and ADR I want, and at the times I want, including FEA. I can't decide if that's because I'm a party of 1 (SOLO TRIP!! WOOHOO!!), or because it's not going to be super busy? I'll be there from 10/22-10/29.

Regardless, I think I've got a good touring plan and I'm not super stressed. I'll absolutely get to do everything I want to do, and then some. I just wanted to speculate.

Anybody want to join me in my musings?
We will be there Oct9 thru Oct 16. Not too worried about the crowds as we are going just to relax and do some really nice dining.

I will be there Oct 23-28. I've read that the crowd calendars are basically guesses now, rather than educated predictions. I'm staying off-site so I can't yet make my FP+ yet. I was able to get nearly all of the dining reservations I wanted. There were some I couldn't get, but I did get BOG, so how bad could things really be, right? There are room discounts while I'm visiting, but not free dining from what I could gather when we decided to stay off-site. I'm hoping there are some good FP+ options left in two weeks when I can start making my reservations. At this point it's all a crapshoot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter