• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

So will October end up crazy busy...or not?

MouseMamaToMany

Mouseketeer
After all of the blogs and TR's I've read stating how very slow the summer has been, I can't help but wonder when the crowds will ramp back up? The opinions on that seem to be quite mixed.

F&W will bring lots of folks to Epcot, especially locals on the weekends. It sounds like on-site hotels are pretty booked up as well.

On the other hand I've been able get get every FP+ and ADR I want, and at the times I want, including FEA. I can't decide if that's because I'm a party of 1 (SOLO TRIP!! WOOHOO!!), or because it's not going to be super busy? I'll be there from 10/22-10/29.

Regardless, I think I've got a good touring plan and I'm not super stressed. I'll absolutely get to do everything I want to do, and then some. I just wanted to speculate.

Anybody want to join me in my musings?

We're going Oct 4-11 and I am bracing for extremely busy. The resorts are fully booked during our stay and while we got all our ADRs and fastpasses we were not able to get all of them at the preferred times/dates. We will be at MK 3 full days plus a party which helps in terms of booking things.

I'm not worried about it but I'm glad I joined this forum and paid attention to certain crowd indicators because we booked in October because we read about moderate crowds and good weather. I'm glad we won't be unpleasantly surprised.

Don't see any reason why attendance will match a normal year and continue this years trend...High ticket prices, construction/closures, Zika Concerns have created a perfect storm. Many might be waiting until Pandora opens next year to make the trip. I'm going in 3 weeks so I hope as well the crowds are light.:dog2:pixiedust:

I think it'll be just as busy as the past few Octobers. The Disney resorts are virtually booked solid for most of the month, though no one has any idea if the offsite resorts are full(ish). We haven't seen any MNSSHPs sell out yet -- but that could be because Disney raised the price (causing fewer to buy tickets) or Disney is selling more tickets than previous years.

We learned the hard way to avoid Columbus Day, the weekend before and a day or 2 after. Other than that we've found Oct to be less crowded than our old dates, first week in March. WS will be crazy busy all day Sat and maybe Fri night, we do Raglan Road on Sat., but the other parks will not be affected. We love it. Also, our 10 days end the day the OP arrives.

Bill From PA

The crowds and the weather are both very difficult to predict and get it right. I have been there when it was so hot in December we were wearing flip flops and we were wearing sweaters and scarfs other December. Last Halloween was much warmer than our September trip. So I don't expect it to be that cool. I also don't think we are going to see crowds higher than normal. Our days are predicted between 5-7 and that is exactly what we are expecting by no way is it going to be slow, but I never expected slowed when I booked.

Agreed. I never expected it to be slow. More moderate crowds, I think. Hoping that's the case. Moderate crowds are no sweat.

We're there the exact same dates you are, as a party of 5, and I was able to book us into the ADRs and FP we wanted, right around the times we wanted. I'm planning to just work our touring plan with the information on hand, like you. I do check Josh's crowd calendar on easywdw, but he hasn't updated it since April. Here's hoping for good weather and moderate crowds!

We head down three weeks from today, we were there the same week last year, and I am hoping for similar crowds. For the most part we have every ADR and FP that we want, gave up me FEA one to attend the Star Wars FW Dessert party, so we will try to RD FEA. We really enjoy this time of year, and I am curious on how the crowds will be.

We head down three weeks from today, we were there the same week last year, and I am hoping for similar crowds. For the most part we have every ADR and FP that we want, gave up me FEA one to attend the Star Wars FW Dessert party, so we will try to RD FEA. We really enjoy this time of year, and I am curious on how the crowds will be.
How was the weather last year? I'm concerned about it being really hot and rainy.

25 days to go. Hoping for low crowds (as we all do). Hoping that is the case considering I got all FP+ (including Frozen) and at the times I wanted. Getting in on a Sunday afternoon and leaving Thursday morning so with no weekend crowds, i hope it will be light

How was the weather last year? I'm concerned about it being really hot and rainy.

Last year we were there toward the end of October and the weather was perfect - our day at HS was pretty warm (high 80's), but not warm by Florida's standards! We enjoyed an extra frozen lemonade that day, though! The later in October it gets, the less the chance of rain. We didn't have any rain on our 4 day trip last year - of course that can always change, but October has been my favorite time to go - still warm enough to swim, etc. but not hot and humid like it is in the summer.

People wanting low crowds will likely be disappointed. But, realistically, I don't see the crowds reaching holiday or spring break type levels. A good strategy and some patience will serve you well.

Last year we were there toward the end of October and the weather was perfect - our day at HS was pretty warm (high 80's), but not warm by Florida's standards! We enjoyed an extra frozen lemonade that day, though! The later in October it gets, the less the chance of rain. We didn't have any rain on our 4 day trip last year - of course that can always change, but October has been my favorite time to go - still warm enough to swim, etc. but not hot and humid like it is in the summer.
We were there last October from Oct 21st to 26th and the weather was wonderful. But we had to book an earlier trip this year because of my work schedule, so we will be there from Oct 1st to 5th. I hope it isn't too hot.

People wanting low crowds will likely be disappointed. But, realistically, I don't see the crowds reaching holiday or spring break type levels. A good strategy and some patience will serve you well.

I feel like what is going to make it feel crowded are the reduced hours, lack of nighttime entertainment this year (i.e. no more MSEP and AK show not ready yet), and then the shorter hours at MK on MNSSHP nights and then of course Food & Wine festival, -- so probably not that there are that many more people around, but more people wanting to do the same things at the same time...if that makes sense!

It only rained one day, intermittent showers, nothing a poncho couldn't handle lol. It was a good mixture of hot and warm, our MNSSHP day was really hot and humid, lost the curls in hair by the time, I made it to the bus stop, but the rest of the days were beautiful!

You've got F&W along with MNSSHP, I figure it will be insane. It then came time to book ADR's and FP+....we got what we wanted so I figured it would be okay but then again we decided to go without FP this time and rely only on rope drop to park close. (We hate being held to a FP schedule). Our friends decided to join us at the last minute last month and nope, not a resort to be had for a decent amount (they need 2 rooms). We are prepared for full on craziness but we are also ending the trip on the DCL and then the Sannibel Island after that so we are ready for commando crazy!

I am pondering the same thing, except my trip is late Nov / early Dec, basically the week after Thanksgiving.

On one end, they offered the free dining plan for that time- which signals to me it was a period with flagging sales, they were really trying to convince people to come, so it could be light crowds. On the other end- ITS THE FREE DINING PLAN!! which might bring the crowds in. However, most of these dining plan deals were for high priced rooms at higher prices than the norm- in my case it was cheaper to keep my existing booking at French Quarter and buy the dining plan, than take the pricing for another room, at an inferior location and accomodations with the "free" dining plan.

I guess there is no telling how it will be.

For the past 3 years we've been going during the last couple weeks of October. We find the crowds moderate. We stay away from F&W Fri evenings, Saturday and Sunday afternoons - cause those crowds are just INSANE. Other than that we've always found everything else more than manageable. A good plan is all that is needed to make sure that everyone in your party has a great time.

On the other end- ITS THE FREE DINING PLAN!! which might bring the crowds in.
Free dining doesn't really bring crowds into the parks. It will typically bring people who were otherwise staying offsite to an onsite resort and will fill the TS restaurants. But the crowd levels in the parks hardly change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter