So what IS the deal with the giant hat?

Last year, Disney finally listened to 6 years of complaints and took down the wand from SSE. :thumbsup2

But I'm honestly still confused about the big hat in MGM Studios. Why is it there? Who thought it would be a good idea? :confused3

It ruins of the view of the Chinese Theater when coming in, and it's downright hideous, clashing with everything around it. It's really sloppy, and it's sad because you can see the Chinese Theater's roof peeking out from behind the hat :sad2:

So why is it still there? Why was it put there in the first place?

We love the big hat.:confused3

I like the hat too....it's our rally point ;)

We love it too!

I guess everyone has their own opinion. :cutie:

Another vote for loving the hat here, but I actually miss the wand too. I hope it stays for a long time

Another vote for loving it. Especially in the evening when it sparkles and is all lit up.

Love the hat where it is, loved the wand on SSE. :goodvibes

I love the hat and I miss the wand!!

I agree with WILLCAD. The hat is ok, but not right in front of the Chinese Theater. But if it's there to block the view of ride on purpose, then it's doing it's job.

As far as the wand on SE, I guess the opinions are based on wether you are a "newer" disney fan and all you remember is the wand being there or an "older" disney fan who has been going for years and was dissapointed when they put that thing up there and ruined the view of SE. It was ok for the millenium celebration, but it was up there too long after that. I'm glad it's gone.

I grew up with SSE being the big ol' golf ball. :lovestruc
A friend's dad helped design it too, so that rather sways my opinion.

As for the hat...I miss the Chinese theater facade. If I recall correctly, when DHS was MGM, it was focused on the golden years of cinema (1930s/1940s). Everything flowed perfectly. You'd walk down their version of Main Street USA surrounded by architecture and themes from the 1930s and 1940s. The major theater at the time was Mann's Chinese Theater. They'd have many, many movie premieres there and that is where all of the hand/foot/random body parts markings are. That tradition started in the hey day of Tinsel Town.
I'm sorry to those who love the hat, I do think it would be better suited some where else or in the court where Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Playhouse Disney Live!, and the animation studio are.
The hat takes away from the parks original theme.

Another vote for loving the hat here, but I actually miss the wand too. I hope it stays for a long time

I agree on both points. I really enjoyed the wand and I love the hat, but I'm definitely open to new ideas for a DHS centerpiece, because as much as I love the hat, it's not a Tree of Life or SSE or Cinderella Castle. As for the wand, it was really fantastic, but SSE is stunning by itself! :wizard:

As large and overtaking as the hat is, I think it should be used for something more than a place to buy pins.

I don't really love or hate the hat. I just accept that it's there, it doesn't bother me a bit though.

It will never go away like the wand did. The hat has became the a park icon.

I liked the wand on SSE, I thought it was cute. The BAH... its cute, but I like the Chinese Theater better. I understand why that has to be blocked, but still miss seeing it from a distance.

I think I'd like the BAH better if it... DID something. Besides sit there and be home to pin kiosks and the HSM show or whatever it actually does currently.

My DH and I were on hand to see the "MGM Studios" about a week after the grand opening and I loved seeing the Chinese Theater at the end of Hollywood Blvd.

I personally don't have anything against the BAH...I just wished it didn't block the view of the theater.

I liked the wand too, especially at night. And I like the hat!
I guess we are the minority.
Nah -- just less vocal. Generally, people unhappy criticize about something much more people happy extol its virtues.

I love the hat! Although, I agree, it would be better if it was placed somewhere different in the park. And I also loved the Wand on SSE. I had been a few times before the Wand went up, and this last trip I took in 2007 was I think the first time I had been back since it came down, and I thought SSE looked a little sad and empty without it.

Add me to the list of LOVE the hat and liked the wand too! I would be really sad if they got rid of the hat! I think that it is the now the centerpiece of of DHS and will stay! It is my favorite park icon!

Love the hat. Every park you go into has a large icon that makes you think of that park. MK- the castle, AK the tree of life, Epcot- SSE and DHS - the hat. Many people identlify those buildings with the respective parks...I know I do.

And I loved the wand. I am looking for something new....maybe a birthday hat for next year?

That's not "truth" on Yesterdland... it is one person's personal disbelief. Truth would require Disney to reveal proprietary information. As frustrating as it may be for a fanatic, they're not inclined to do that. We just have to accept that, and live without an explanation from them about this.

Remember, Disney stations PhotoPass photographers on that street, taking photos with that Hat as backdrop, so it isn't simply a matter of whether guests can or can't do something, but rather what limitations there are on what Disney can do.

I liked the wand too, especially at night. And I like the hat!
I guess we are the minority.
I loved the way the wand shined in the bright Florida sunshine, and the way that it made a reflection in the World Showcase Lagoon.

Nah -- just less vocal. Generally, people unhappy criticize about something much more people happy extol its virtues.
I love that!!
Now theres a thought, if we had been more vocal maybe it would still be there! :lmao:
WHen my son does not like things that others think is great, I always tell him that it is good how everyone likes different things and how boring it would be if everyone liked the same stuff.
Imagine if EVERYONE loved disney like us! We'd never be able to get out of line!!!

I have always been under the impression is that it was to block the theatre mostly, but not for any legal reasons. Disney wanted an icon that if people saw a picture of they went "Aha!" MK, or Epcot. The theatre doesn't do that. Most people would immediately think of Hollywood. You know its DHS, I know it's DHS, but Aunt Marge from Shebogan Idaho doesn't know its DHS. And the name of the game is brand image. Yeah they had the watertower, but you couldn't take your picture WITH the watertower. And it wasn't front and center. Not a Weenie. The other parks all have a weenie. And DHS has one, it used to be the theatre. But it wasn't Disney. It was awesome looking and all, but not truly Disney. So voila, the hat! Yea, yea, it's big, and out of place, but if you think about it, so are the other weenies. A castle only really makes sense in Fantasyland, not at the end of a small town Main Street. Same with the golf ball, what does that really have to do with anything in Epcot? Not much.

I never realised the hat was such a bone of contention, personally I like it. Was really surprised the wand went though, I thought it had always been there and was not just erected as a special event. The "golf ball" looks a bit odd now all on its own

Grumpy
No, the wand had not always been there. My first visit the parks 20+ years ago (just MK and Epcot back then) there was no wand. The castle was also just empty inside.

When DH and I went in 2003 the wand was there and it was a bit of a shock for me at first. And took some time getting used to seeing. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not while we were there.

I don't mind the hat at DHS. It makes me think of DHS whenever I see it or hear someone talk about it. Just like the castle makes me think of MK, Spaceship Earth makes me think of Epcot and the Tree of Life makes me think of AK.

As far as the wand on SE, I guess the opinions are based on wether you are a "newer" disney fan and all you remember is the wand being there or an "older" disney fan who has been going for years and was dissapointed when they put that thing up there and ruined the view of SE. It was ok for the millenium celebration, but it was up there too long after that. I'm glad it's gone.

It was up during my first and only trip so far in 2006, and I think it looks far better without it. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter