So what IS the deal with the giant hat?

DisneyWorldWisher

DIS Veteran
Last year, Disney finally listened to 6 years of complaints and took down the wand from SSE. :thumbsup2

But I'm honestly still confused about the big hat in MGM Studios. Why is it there? Who thought it would be a good idea? :confused3

It ruins of the view of the Chinese Theater when coming in, and it's downright hideous, clashing with everything around it. It's really sloppy, and it's sad because you can see the Chinese Theater's roof peeking out from behind the hat :sad2:

So why is it still there? Why was it put there in the first place?

I agree with you that the BAH ruins the view, and is out of place relative to the area it's in. There have been numerous threads about it on this board, and there are folks on both sides of the issue. I'm sure some of them will post replies in this one too.
popcorn::

It's there for exactly the reason you hate it being there. It was conveniently placed where it sits to help block the view.

Because the Walt Disney Company did not obtain permission to use the name "Grauman", the proper name of the building is simply "The Chinese Theater". (Also, at the time the attraction was opened, the actual Grauman's Theater was officially known as "Mann's Chinese Theater" as it was owned by the Mann movie theater group.) The facade was almost completely blocked from view in 2001 when a giant replica of Sorcerer Mickey's hat was built directly in front of the facade to mark the 100 Years of Magic Celebration. Which in turn marked the 100th anniversary of the birth of Walt Disney.

Having that building there has always been a bit of a hot topic.

We love the big hat.:confused3
Last year, Disney finally listened to 6 years of complaints and took down the wand from SSE. :thumbsup2

But I'm honestly still confused about the big hat in MGM Studios. Why is it there? Who thought it would be a good idea? :confused3

It ruins of the view of the Chinese Theater when coming in, and it's downright hideous, clashing with everything around it. It's really sloppy, and it's sad because you can see the Chinese Theater's roof peeking out from behind the hat :sad2:

So why is it still there? Why was it put there in the first place?

Change the front of the great movie ride to look like something different and get rid of that darn hat.

We love the hat as well.

MNWDWMANIAC explained why the hat was placed precisely where it was placed: The folks who own the visage of the Chinese Theater, in California, don't want their asset to become heavily linked to Disney. With the hat where it is, it is much more difficult, if not impossible, to have pictures taken with the D-HS Chinese Theater in the background.

Another vote for loving the hat here, but I actually miss the wand too. I hope it stays for a long time

I love the hat at DHS, I also loved the wand on SSE. I'm sad that they took it away, and hopefully they wont take away the hat.

I totally agree, i can't stand that thing. I miss the water tower being their lil 'mascot.' And it does totally ruin the chinese theater :(

Another vote for loving it. Especially in the evening when it sparkles and is all lit up.

I like the BAH, I just don't like where they put it.

It would haqve been far more appropriate to put it in the Animation Courtyard.

I am so glad they removed the wand. It was completely out of place with Spaceship Earth. The hat doesn't bother me as much, but I agree that there are better places for it in DHS. It's too bad they can't work something out with the owners of the Chinese theatre.

I never realised the hat was such a bone of contention, personally I like it. Was really surprised the wand went though, I thought it had always been there and was not just erected as a special event. The "golf ball" looks a bit odd now all on its own

Grumpy

I remember that when the hat was first coming into being I was thinking "Gee, I wonder what neat attraction is going to be in that hat."

Later, when it was all set up, I was really disapointed to see that it was nothing but another place to buy pins. I wish they would get rid of it.

:wizard: SmackNack

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter