So sad, no free precheck for me

In my own experience, there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason with who gets it and who doesn't. In our last 3 trips, I have gotten it 2 of 3 times. DH has never gotten it. And my parents who are over 65 and hadn't flown since 1998 both got it as well.

We got Precheck for free once at MCO a few years back.
That inspired us to pay for it.
Well worth every penny for us.

I feel your pain... DW almost always gets the free TSA-pre from Southwest. I get it about half the time. On our last trip out of MCO we both got it. We basically walked through security. Time before DW got it and I didn't. We get it enough that we keep procrastinating on doing the paperwork. Mostly because our birth certificates are locked up in a safe deposit box in a bank branch that, thanks to the joys of electronic banking, we hardly go to anymore.

I feel your pain... DW almost always gets the free TSA-pre from Southwest. I get it about half the time. On our last trip out of MCO we both got it. We basically walked through security. Time before DW got it and I didn't. We get it enough that we keep procrastinating on doing the paperwork. Mostly because our birth certificates are locked up in a safe deposit box in a bank branch that, thanks to the joys of electronic banking, we hardly go to anymore.

We used our passports. The whole process is much easier than a couple of years ago. My granddaughter did it last week. Her mom said they were the only ones there and it took about 10 minutes and my granddaughter (13 yo) got her number the next day.

Am I the only person who has paid for the pre-check privilege (we have Global entry) who is glad they are keeping those without it out of the precheck lines? Sure, it's nice if you get it free, but if other adult family members don't have it they shouldn't expect to go through precheck with those who do. The line for precheck at our airport is often quite long, while the regular line is sometimes not, but we like precheck so we can keep our shoes on, electronics in the bag, and only go through the metal detector.
Not at all. I am right there with you. I have never understood how people can justify complaining about not getting something for free when those of us that paid for it are inconvenienced by those that get it free and don’t know what to do. If you want pre check, pay for it.

Now if they could just get rid of Primeval Whirl. ....

Not at all. I am right there with you. I have never understood how people can justify complaining about not getting something for free when those of us that paid for it are inconvenienced by those that get it free and don’t know what to do. If you want pre check, pay for it.

I agree. Couple of weeks ago at Orlando International I was behind a family that got Pre for free. Woman was arguing with an officer that she could bring several bottles of drinks in her carry on because she got Pre and backed up the line. Then another woman in the same party got pulled from the scanner due to a pouch filled with jewelry inside her slacks. Another argument ensued that brought the whole family to start complaining to the officers that they should not have to go through this due to them getting PreCheck. That held up the scanner line that my wife has to go through due to her hip replacement.

I've had free pre-check since Day 1 because of my frequent flyer status with American. DW and DD only travel once or twice a year, but they always go through pre-check with me because we're traveling together. Same deal with preferred boarding.

Just go to the pre-check line with your DH and ask where to go since you're traveling together. 9/10 times they'll just direct you to the pre-check line.

This is NOT true and if you have gotten away with the Thousands Standing Around are proving once again they are idiots. Children under 13 can go with you if you get pre-check so unless your DW is a child bride she should not be able to "tag along"

(More proof that this entire security theatre is useless LOL!)

We used our passports. The whole process is much easier than a couple of years ago. My granddaughter did it last week. Her mom said they were the only ones there and it took about 10 minutes and my granddaughter (13 yo) got her number the next day.

I wish our experience was that quick. DW and I went for our PreCheck interview several weeks back. Since I did my research and found that the process takes about 10-15 minutes per person, we took DS6 and DD9 along with plans to go to the Crayola Experience (the one in PA, not FL) afterwards. We had a 2:30pm appointment. Get there around 2:10 and check in at the front desk. Finally get called back for the interview/document processing at 4:25pm. Done at 4:50pm.

I've had free pre-check since Day 1 because of my frequent flyer status with American. DW and DD only travel once or twice a year, but they always go through pre-check with me because we're traveling together. Same deal with preferred boarding.

Just go to the pre-check line with your DH and ask where to go since you're traveling together. 9/10 times they'll just direct you to the pre-check line.

I agree with OrangeCountyCommuter. This is not my experience. I recall once, many years ago, I was allowed to piggyback on DW's pre-check. Obviously it doesn't hurt to ask but I wouldn't expect it.

From the TSA website:
Family members ages 12 and under traveling with an eligible parent or guardian with a TSA Pre✓® indicator on their boarding pass can participate in expedited screening. Family members 13 and older must go through standard security lanes or should apply for a DHS trusted traveler program.

Am I the only person who has paid for the pre-check privilege (we have Global entry) who is glad they are keeping those without it out of the precheck lines? Sure, it's nice if you get it free, but if other adult family members don't have it they shouldn't expect to go through precheck with those who do. The line for precheck at our airport is often quite long, while the regular line is sometimes not, but we like precheck so we can keep our shoes on, electronics in the bag, and only go through the metal detector.

I agree with you. If you have TSA pre or Global entry you should get to go through the line, no one ele, the whole theory behind it is that you have gone through a background check. I have global entry (so does everyone in my immediate family) which i paid a $100 fee, submitted an application, was interviewed and finger printed, went through a background check and was deemed “safe” enough to not have to tale my shoes off at the airport. If people who have not gone through the process are getting precheck “free” and then bringing all their friends and family with them, it breaks down the security behind TSA pre.

I have my Global Entry appointment next Wednesday. Does anyone have advice regarding what to expect?

I have my Global Entry appointment next Wednesday. Does anyone have advice regarding what to expect?

Mine was very simple, they asked a few questions, such as why do you want global entry? Have you committed any crimes? Ever been arrested? Etc.

They take your photo and finger prints and that was about it, took less than an hour for me and DD15 to complete the 2 interviews. We couldn’t get 2 appts at the same time, but they let us go together, hers was the next day but they didn’t make her come back, just did us together.

Might depend on your location though, we went to upstate New York at Canadian border and it was not very crowded. We just happened to be on vacation in Vermont and saw we could get appt within a couple days so we went there, in Calif there was about a 4-6 month wait.

Thanks for the info. I was surprised by how fast I got an appointment since we live near a very busy airport.

When I got my Global Entry, they handed me a list of questions and told me to write down the responses. It was VERY apparent that the list was suppose to be "asked" as there really wasn't much room to write, but I did the best I could. She looked it over and "done"

That said if you have EVER been arrested be honest. Being arrested won't be an automatic "no". When they check the background and you didn't confess that's an automatic no.

For your reading enjoyment

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tru...ailure-disclose-expunged-old-convictions.html

This is NOT true
So you think I made it up? Wow.

I didn't say it would always work, or that it was supposed to work. I used to travel a lot, so I'm quite familiar with the regulations.

But I also know that everybody dealing with the public has to put up with a LOT of stupid junk from grumpy people. In many settings, a little common courtesy will go a long way. At least it does for me.
...and if you have gotten away with the Thousands Standing Around are proving once again they are idiots. Children under 13 can go with you if you get pre-check so unless your DW is a child bride she should not be able to "tag along"

(More proof that this entire security theatre is useless LOL!)
Well, the tricky thing about good security work is that nobody sees the successes. We only see the failures. Anybody can criticize.

In our particular case, I really don't think it made much difference for us last summer. We had an early morning flight from MIA, and a redeye returning from SFO, so security was not crowded in either situation.

PS. My child bride thanks you!

So you think I made it up? Wow.

I didn't say it would always work, or that it was supposed to work. I used to travel a lot, so I'm quite familiar with the regulations.

But I also know that everybody dealing with the public has to put up with a LOT of stupid junk from grumpy people. In many settings, a little common courtesy will go a long way. At least it does for me.Well, the tricky thing about good security work is that nobody sees the successes. We only see the failures. Anybody can criticize.

In our particular case, I really don't think it made much difference for us last summer. We had an early morning flight from MIA, and a redeye returning from SFO, so security was not crowded in either situation.

PS. My child bride thanks you!

Sadly, the Thousands Standing Around fail a LOT and your story is prime example. They allowed a non pre-check to skirt security because they failed to follow their own rules

But ......

(Note stories below come from different years so it's not like "improvement" is the theme here LOL! )

https://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-fails-tests-latest-undercover-operation-us-airports/story?id=51022188

https://www.tsa.gov/news/testimony/2015/11/03/testimony-hearing-tsa-security-gaps

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015...ercent-tests-homeland-security_n_7485558.html

https://nypost.com/2013/03/08/tsa-s...b-to-pass-through-security-at-newark-airport/

Theatre!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter