• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So Many Desserts! A Rare QSDP Review w/ pics! 6/19-6/26 FINISHED!: Wrap Up 8/16

The pizzas are reallly good at WPE. My DD15 is a meatloaf fan and loved it there too!

Yeah, 110 snack credits for my family and another 44 for my grandparents, last time they had 16 and didn't use them all so I suspect we will be getting lots of their too!

BTW, you know you haven't broken even cause of your cousins and all their cheap food! :rotfl:

I kept admiring that pizza when we were there. Another reason to go back. My DH still talks about that meatloaf. Although now he's thinking he might just have to try the chicken alfredo. See, we have to go back to WDW NOW!!

I really hope that you do get to visit DLR at least once! It's really a great experience even for those WDW vets. Plus, we're super friendly over on the DLR DIS!

I have been on the DLR dis already since March and yes they are all very nice over there. Everyone has been really nice with the responses and helping me out. I love the disboard both sides

Love, love, LOVE this DR. Thanks so much for your time and effort on this.

We'll be dining OOP for our off-site trip in April, and it's great to know we'll have so many CS options. I've also decided to make two trips to DTD so we can try WPE twice (we'll be splitting, kids just don't eat much at one sitting and DH and I love to share). Gotta have that breakfast pizza!

This DR will help us so much in planning our dining options. I typed up three pages of notes from your report!

Thanks again.

WPE has definitely big enough portions to split. You are going to love it! 3 pages! Glad to be of service! :thumbsup2

That meatloaf looks really good! We always eat at Cooke's of Dublin when in DTD, but I've got to try that meatloaf!!!!! :goodvibes

Definitely go for it! It is as good as it looks. And a side note: Whenever someone writes "Cookes of Dublin" I automatically think that it says "Cookies of Dublin" hahaha :lmao: Now that would be a wonderful restaurant.

The pizzas are reallly good at WPE. My DD15 is a meatloaf fan and loved it there too!

Yeah, 110 snack credits for my family and another 44 for my grandparents, last time they had 16 and didn't use them all so I suspect we will be getting lots of their too!

BTW, you know you haven't broken even cause of your cousins and all their cheap food! :rotfl:

:rolleyes: Yeah, chicken tenders aren't usually the most expensive thing on the menus. Since we still have one more meal and lots of snacks, I can tell you that we did break even, but we loved the plan for the convenience factor too!

I kept admiring that pizza when we were there. Another reason to go back. My DH still talks about that meatloaf. Although now he's thinking he might just have to try the chicken alfredo. See, we have to go back to WDW NOW!!

So many options! That's why Disney is so wonderful (and also makes a bunch of $$$): they have so many reasons to return! :wizard:

MickeyMomOfThree, you are going to need to check to see how sturdy your vehicle suspension system is ya know? :rotfl2:

I like the idea of bringing food to eat on the way home but our trunk is loaded because I do not do laundry on vacation and the backseat has the items that we need for the motel on the way back so I have no room and besides my husband refuses to eat cold food.:confused3

Last trip I got pounds of fudge, large chunks, including one for the cute little boy behind me in line. I then cut them into 4 pieces and made trays to take to the holiday gatherings.

Perfect Christmas. No decorating, no wrapping, gave checks for presents and no cooking as I had the 'free' fudge.

Don't you just love the folks who insist on ordering the most expensive thing to get their money's worth. Poor dears, doomed to hardly ever eat what they want. :flower3:

Slightly Goofy who knows there is no such thing as a free lunch but it is possible to get one for a cheaper price.

:rolleyes: Yeah, chicken tenders aren't usually the most expensive thing on the menus. Since we still have one more meal and lots of snacks, I can tell you that we did break even, but we loved the plan for the convenience factor too!

Yeah, I was only kidding, trying to give your cousins the blame for you not coming out ahead sooner. ;) But, I have learned one thing as a somewhat picky eater (but getting better) as long as I enjoy my meal, I'm happy. I am sure they felt the same.
We love the ease of it too, and the frugal mom in me would eat cheap the whole week if we didn't have it, DH likes it just so I live it up a bit. We always come out ahead, but really, the goal for us is just to enjoy.

MickeyMomOfThree, you are going to need to check to see how sturdy your vehicle suspension system is ya know? :rotfl2:

I like the idea of bringing food to eat on the way home but our trunk is loaded because I do not do laundry on vacation and the backseat has the items that we need for the motel on the way back so I have no room and besides my husband refuses to eat cold food.:confused3

Last trip I got pounds of fudge, large chunks, including one for the cute little boy behind me in line. I then cut them into 4 pieces and made trays to take to the holiday gatherings.

Perfect Christmas. No decorating, no wrapping, gave checks for presents and no cooking as I had the 'free' fudge.

Don't you just love the folks who insist on ordering the most expensive thing to get their money's worth. Poor dears, doomed to hardly ever eat what they want. :flower3:

Slightly Goofy who knows there is no such thing as a free lunch but it is possible to get one for a cheaper price.

You are too funny! And good ideas about the Christmas treats. I'll have to remember that. I do love Christmas baking and I make goooood fudge, but there is alwasys room for more sweets at the holidays! :thumbsup2

I do :laundy: twice on vacation, so we don't have that much, the bad thing is all our windter coats we take. I always say I am going to leave them but we have driven though some really bad snow storms and I worry if we were to get stuck withouth out winder coast... well, I always wind up bringing them. We have a big cooler we take and it holds lots of food for the trip home. Cold chicken is yummy, but there are some foods that I am sure would be awful.

We said from the first time we did DDP that we will order what we want to eat, not what will get us the most ahead. Often it is the priceyer food cause we don't have that often IRL, but if we are in the mood for a burger or a salad or whatever, we go for it. As long as it is yummy!

Looking forward to the last update...

More great updates :goodvibes

WPE is sooooo good, my DH would love that Meatloaf and Wow - it's a huge portion :thumbsup2

Thank you for the WPE review. On our arrival night I was gonna eat at Earl of Sandwich but thatnks to the picture of the bacon wrapped meatloaf and making me look at their menu I have changed my mind and I think we will be eating at WPE

MickeyMomOfThree, after spending many decades decorating an 18 room hours, counting bathrooms, my husband insists on counting bathrooms :rotfl2:, most with full sized trees and every doorway and window as well as copious outdoor decorations, baking, cards, presents, wrapping etc. etc. I have retired a couple of years ago. My excuse is that we only get back from Disney a few days before Christmas but it is a convenient excuse. :rotfl2:

I let Disney do the decorating, although I do a pretty nice room window, and I just sit and enjoy.

As far as snacks that would work for Christmas there are just so many that I suggest that you keep a list as you go round and then gather them up the last day or so for your trip home. My husband is hankering for a gingerbread man from the American Pavillion food court as their machine was down last time and we did not have change. Poor dear. :laughing:

BTW, my family insists that I am not at all funny. Born without a funny bones, how sad.:dance3: My youngest grandson who is warped, just like grandma thinks I am funny though.

Slightly Goofy

Yeah, I was only kidding, trying to give your cousins the blame for you not coming out ahead sooner. ;) But, I have learned one thing as a somewhat picky eater (but getting better) as long as I enjoy my meal, I'm happy. I am sure they felt the same.
We love the ease of it too, and the frugal mom in me would eat cheap the whole week if we didn't have it, DH likes it just so I live it up a bit. We always come out ahead, but really, the goal for us is just to enjoy.

You are too funny! And good ideas about the Christmas treats. I'll have to remember that. I do love Christmas baking and I make goooood fudge, but there is alwasys room for more sweets at the holidays! :thumbsup2

I do :laundy: twice on vacation, so we don't have that much, the bad thing is all our windter coats we take. I always say I am going to leave them but we have driven though some really bad snow storms and I worry if we were to get stuck withouth out winder coast... well, I always wind up bringing them. We have a big cooler we take and it holds lots of food for the trip home. Cold chicken is yummy, but there are some foods that I am sure would be awful.

We said from the first time we did DDP that we will order what we want to eat, not what will get us the most ahead. Often it is the priceyer food cause we don't have that often IRL, but if we are in the mood for a burger or a salad or whatever, we go for it. As long as it is yummy!

Looking forward to the last update...

I agree. I mean, I figured we would break even even if we had chicken nuggets at every meal, so I wasn't stressed about that. We just kinda went where there was the closest restaurant to us when we were hungry. And who says burgers can't be yummy too!

More great updates :goodvibes

WPE is sooooo good, my DH would love that Meatloaf and Wow - it's a huge portion :thumbsup2

It is huge! Pretty much everything at WPE is a big portion!

Thank you for the WPE review. On our arrival night I was gonna eat at Earl of Sandwich but thatnks to the picture of the bacon wrapped meatloaf and making me look at their menu I have changed my mind and I think we will be eating at WPE

EoS is definitely on my list of CS places to try next time, although I have no idea how to convince my family to go over there with WPE right next door!

MickeyMomOfThree, after spending many decades decorating an 18 room hours, counting bathrooms, my husband insists on counting bathrooms :rotfl2:, most with full sized trees and every doorway and window as well as copious outdoor decorations, baking, cards, presents, wrapping etc. etc. I have retired a couple of years ago. My excuse is that we only get back from Disney a few days before Christmas but it is a convenient excuse. :rotfl2:

I let Disney do the decorating, although I do a pretty nice room window, and I just sit and enjoy.

As far as snacks that would work for Christmas there are just so many that I suggest that you keep a list as you go round and then gather them up the last day or so for your trip home. My husband is hankering for a gingerbread man from the American Pavillion food court as their machine was down last time and we did not have change. Poor dear. :laughing:

BTW, my family insists that I am not at all funny. Born without a funny bones, how sad.:dance3: My youngest grandson who is warped, just like grandma thinks I am funny though.

Slightly Goofy

Getting Christmas treats at WDW is genius! Plus Disney treats just taste better because they add that magic stuff to it! ;) :wizard:

Plus Disney treats just taste better because they add that magic stuff to it!

It is the calories that they delete that makes it fantastic for me. Must be true cause I eat what I want there and have never gained an ounce, even lose a few.:thumbsup2

Slightly Goofy

Slightly Goofy

That sounds like a well deserved retirement. :thumbsup2

I feel for your family, they would hate my DH then. He can't not be funny, even when he tries to be serious people laugh cause they are used to him always being funny. That is one of the things I love most about him. Hard to be down about anything when you are laughing! :goodvibes

Cosmic Ray's-Dinner

For the final installment of this (never ending) DR, I bring you: Cosmic Ray's. This was our final dinner on the plan, and our cousins had already left so it was just the 4 of us. Since we had been at MK in the morning and we had gotten Space FP just in case we were going to return, we did choose to come back. Plus, I had heard great things about Cosmic Ray's.

I kind of wish that we had come here earlier because this place had the widest variety of food, which would have been great for the cousins! The place is split up into 3 stations:
2544187000101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

We just went to the first station which had chicken and ribs. Yummy! :thumbsup2

I got the rotisserie chicken platter thing because I had missed the one at Sunshine Seasons earlier in the week. The chicken was tender and juicy! I ate everything! Plus the green beans were a refreshing change of pace. The mashed potatoes were good but I didn't finish because there was a ton of food and we were still feeling full from WPE lunch!
2686220120101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

DM and DB got the ribs which were pretty much like the ones at Flame Tree, although neither of them had gotten ribs when we were at Flame Tree, which is why they got them this time!
2575388870101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

DD, I gues was not full at all from his meatloaf lunch :rotfl:, got the chicken AND ribs platter. Oh my goodnes, so much food!! :eek: Needless to say, he did not finish it all, but he did do work on it.
2151461610101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

For dessert, we just had to have one last scrumptious option so DM, DD and I got the chocolate cake with Mickey sprinkles on top. The cake was dense and gooey. Perfect dessert to end on. DB got the Yoplait strawberry yogury because he doesn't like chocolate.
2334400920101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

Also one other thing about Cosmic Ray's is that they gave us big drinks. Some places gave us big drinks, while others just the regular drinks. It really wasn't a big deal because we had so much food and drink and water the whole week, but it was just interesting that it was not very consistent.

Anyway, we loved Cosmic Ray's because of its assortment and we would have loved to have tried the other stations if we had more time and credits. Next time...

Cosmic Ray's Dinner: 4CS used (1, 16)
OOP cost: $72.30
Running Total OOP cost: $1953.84 :-)cool1: we went over!)

So since we had 16 remaining snacks, that afternoon when we checked into AKL, we went down to the Mara to maximize our credits. Each of us got 4 things, including 2 breakfast items for the next 2 days. Here's the list of stuff we got from the Mara:

-3 Croissants
-4 muffins (I have to say SSR's blueberry muffins were better!)
-1 scone
-1 cookie
-1 thing of zebra domes (oh so yummy!)
2389218830101957511S500x500Q85.jpg

-3 waters
-2 small milks
-1 Powerade

That took care of those snacks and we were left with just 1 CS left. I still can't believe we used 111 CS and 112 snacks!

Mara snacks: 16S used (1, 0) :(
OOP cost: $41.13
FINAL Running Total OOP cost: 1995.23

As for the remaining part of our trip, we just ate OOP. We had one dinner at Boma, since we were staying at AKL. For breakfast, we used the snacks from the Mara that we got. For lunch we split meals, so we kept our food costs down. There will be one more update where I evaluate all of the CS places that we went to in terms of several different categories. But no more food pics for now! :sad2:

Stay tuned for that wrap up! :thumbsup2

Looks great! I love Cosmic Ray's. We have been known to eat 2 meals in one day there. I think it is the best CS at any of the parks. IMO

Thanks for the update...

Glad to hear Cosmic Ray's was so yummy! We are traveling with my in-laws who were not looking forward to eating burgers and fries all week (we have the QSDP) but the chicken looks great!

We are also going to make a special stop at WPE just for that meatloaf!

I appreciate all the effort that went into your TR. Sounds like you had an awesome time!

DLR29, your report is going to be so helpful to so very many people. Bet it hangs on for a long time too as more and more folks find it. Thank you very much. It impressive even us Disney food 'experts".

If you ask for a large drink you get one, most places will give you a medium by default if you do not specify. Is not Cosmic Ray's one of the few places, including Sunshine Seasons and Electric Umbrella that have beverage stands so you can get refills?

The three counters are hard for me as I have to stand in line for both my food and my husbands so I often get something I do not really want to avoid standing in two lines. :confused3

MickeyMomOfThree, I am only retired from all the holiday work not anything else. If I could not laugh I would take a long walk off a short pier, today.:dance3: You are so right in that a sense of humor is the best trait in a mate. When times get tough being able to laugh can keep a family going. :dance3:

Slightly Goofy

Cosmic Ray's is our favorite as well! We love the chicken dinners. And the entertainment for the kids is great, too, if you sit in the lower part.

Thanks for this thread, it was great to see!

DLR29 - thanks so much for the great reviews! You have made me even more excited for our next trip!

Great reviews! I just finished reading and am so glad I did...I didn't know there were that many great options for CS. So good to know for our trip in September.:cool1:
And it was so great to see the running totals. We have the dining plan, too (first time with this) so I can't wait to see how much our meals would have been OOP. Thanks! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter