So about this Hurricane - 10/7 Dream cancelled, 10/7 Magic Canadian, 10/8 now 10/9 Fantasy 6-night

You said exactly what the problem is. This storm is unusually unpredictable. Newest models are showing more & more it hooking around & doing loops. They don't have any clue when the ships can get back into PC. They can't set new schedules when they literally do not have them.
The following quote from the 11:00 AM NHC report on Matthew sums it all up.
"When a hurricane is forecast to take a track roughly parallel to a coastline, as Matthew is forecast to do from Florida through South Carolina, it becomes very difficult to specify impacts at any one location. For example, only a small deviation of the track to the left of the NHC forecast could bring the core of a major hurricane onshore within the hurricane warning area in Florida. However, a small deviation to the right could keep the hurricane-
force winds offshore
."

It's intelligent for the port to close and for preparedness actions to be taken including evacuation of people on land who are at risk but I can understand DCL waiting to make a decision until they have more info. Folks would be really steamed if they cancelled the 10/7 sailing and Matthew took a jog to the east and the port was open on Friday.

Last edited:
The following quote from the 5:00 AM NHC report on Matthew sums it all up.
"When a hurricane is forecast to take a track roughly parallel to a coastline, as Matthew is forecast to do from Florida through South Carolina, it becomes very difficult to estimate impacts this far in advance. For example, only a small deviation of the track to the left of the NHC forecast could bring the core of a major hurricane onshore, while a small deviation to the right could keep all of the hurricane-force winds offshore. It will likely take another day or so for the potential impacts of Matthew in the United States to clarify."

It's intelligent for the port to close and for preparedness actions to be taken including evacuation of people on land who are at risk but I can understand DCL waiting to make a decision until they have more info. Folks would be really steamed if they cancelled the 10/7 sailing and Matthew took a jog to the east and the port was open on Friday.
Unless the storm takes an abrupt shift to the east, and I mean abrupt and fast, the port will not be open on Friday. Period. Even if the storm didn't hit land, and even if we don't have tropical storm force winds inland, there will be a completely different situation out in the water. The tail end of the storm will be sending wind and water directly at the port. I wouldn't sail behind a hurricane--or next to it. 50 miles off shore is nothing in a storm this size. The ships aren't going to sail out of PC.

Carnival has a ship stuck in New York for 48 hours that left from Baltimore that was supposed to go to the Caribbean.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/10/04/carnival-new-york-hurricane/

MJ

It's funny how the media always finds the whiners to interview. They were offered the chance to cancel with a full refund BEFORE they got on the ship. Now that they are on the ship, they've got a 50% discount on a future cruise AND a $250 refundable OBC. There are a lot of people over on Cruise Critic that are ON that ship (Pride) and are making the best of it. They say they're being treated very well and are very happy with the compensation they've been offered.

Disney isn't handling this great at the moment, they are leaving people in the dark about plans etc. It could even be due to greed and they are probably hurting the wallets of those that haven't sailed yet.

However disney isn't making anyone unsafe. There isn't a safety issue for anyone that hasn't started their trip yet, if you fly to florida now that is on you not on disney. Just because disney didn't cancel doesn't mean you are forced to go somewhere unsafe.

Because the first priority should be safety the ones disney should be making priority 1 are those that are on the ships in their care now. Figuring out where they are going to dock and when that is safe so they can get back home safely. Making sure they have help getting anything they need for the extra time, etc. I would be much more interested in how they are being treated and informed then those that are supposed to leave soon.

It's funny how the media always finds the whiners to interview. They were offered the chance to cancel with a full refund BEFORE they got on the ship. Now that they are on the ship, they've got a 50% discount on a future cruise AND a $250 refundable OBC. There are a lot of people over on Cruise Critic that are ON that ship (Pride) and are making the best of it. They say they're being treated very well and are very happy with the compensation they've been offered.
Ah. I didn't see the part where they were offered the refund before they sailed.
There's always more to the story and I know you can't make everyone happy. I wouldn't want to be taking calls at the cruise lines today!

That's frustrating. I do wonder why carnival didn't just return to Baltimore and drop the passengers off. They have time. Cruise lines operate on their own set of rules, I guess.

Probably because at least some of teh passengers probably prefer to be getting a cruise somewhere else over not getting a cruise at all. Going back to baltimore would mean cancelling the cruise. Those that got on teh ship had the oppurtunity to cancel and choose to still go so Carnival making the assumption that the majority of them would prefer a changed cruise to a cancelled one makes sense.

That's frustrating. I do wonder why carnival didn't just return to Baltimore and drop the passengers off. They have time. Cruise lines operate on their own set of rules, I guess.

I'm guessing they're trying to give the passengers that opted to stay onboard their full trip. If it were me, I'd stay onboard, enjoy a trip without a crowded ship and be very happy with the $250 each OBC and 50% off a future cruise!

Ah. I didn't see the part where they were offered the refund before they sailed.
There's always more to the story and I know you can't make everyone happy. I wouldn't want to be taking calls at the cruise lines today!

Agreed! I think there should be a master list of people giving the crew problems on these ships that are currently sailing. The list should be shared among the cruise lines and the passengers in question should be banned from booking in the future. Nobody controls the weather and the poor crew shouldn't suffer abuse while they're trying to perform their jobs under bad circumstances. We all know Guest Services staff is getting yelled at today, as if any of this is their fault!

The following quote from the 11:00 AM NHC report on Matthew sums it all up.
"When a hurricane is forecast to take a track roughly parallel to a coastline, as Matthew is forecast to do from Florida through South Carolina, it becomes very difficult to specify impacts at any one location. For example, only a small deviation of the track to the left of the NHC forecast could bring the core of a major hurricane onshore within the hurricane warning area in Florida. However, a small deviation to the right could keep the hurricane-
force winds offshore
."

It's not just wind. You have rain and a huge storm surge. This is a huge storm. I don't think it can deviate enough that PC would be open.

I was thinking about the other cruise lines while walking my dog. I think other cruise lines have the ability to beat Disney to the punch on alternate plans because of their fleets & contracts in multiple US ports. They're already present in so many places. When the time comes they'll be able to tell those ports, "We're coming." They have priority. Disney has to decide what they need to do with their ships but they also have to find available births to park them. Then they have to make transportation arrangements. Supplies. The list goes on. Then, I'm sure there's cost-crunching when deciding if hanging out at-sea is the better route. I'm sure it's not cut & dry. And I'm really really sure Mickey isn't sitting in his chair at the end of the boardroom table devising a way to dupe their loyal following in all this.

It's not just wind. You have rain and a huge storm surge. This is a huge storm. I don't think it can deviate enough that PC would be open.
The size of this one is nuts. Ike was a big storm. Came onshore as a cat 3. Pushed a storm surge akin to a cat 5. The storm surge is going to really make a mess. Bad. I have a friend who lives on the water in Jupiter. She's preparing to lose everything. Last night she was saying she's staying. I'm praying she rethinks that.

Cruise lines are all scrambling to make alternative arrangements. Western and Gulf Ports can only handle so many ships. Until these ports and all the Cruise Lines work out the alternatives the cruise lines can't announce the next stage. This is not all DCL being greedy, it's just how it is when weather emergencies arise. Same thing is happening to airlines, its just the airlines have so many more alternatives.

I get that this may seem like stupid information to many, but I wanted to pass it along. I just got off the phone with DCL and they said that upper management is in a meeting right now and information should be released this afternoon. Yes I've been to WDW and CM's don't know a lot and this could be "bus driver insider info" but again, wanted to pass it along.

Wow, can't believe DCL is still expecting to start a Dream cruise on Friday and a Fantasy cruise on Saturday out of Port Canaveral. As of the 11 AM advisory, there is supposed to be a major hurricane sitting on top of Port Canaveral on Friday morning. I guess people getting on the Dream better hold onto their hats!

upload_2016-10-5_11-33-50.png

We're at 48 hours out for an industry where the common logic is to fly in the day before... I really hope they get something out there to those cruisers today! :sad2:
They seriously need to tell people right now no cruisies this weekend. They obviously aren't happening. But then all those people will pitch fits wanting alternate plans...that Disney can't really make right now because the models are rapidly shifting and they don't have existing contracts in numerous ports.

Was missing around in my CC account and saw that the date had been updated on the front page (it said October 4 when I first logged in)...still no changes.

Tropical Weather Update

October 5, 2016

Disney Cruise Line is closely monitoring tropical weather systems in the Caribbean.
At this time, no itinerary changes have been made to the following sailings:

• October 7 – Disney Dream & Disney Magic
  • October 8 – Disney Fantasy
If needed, we can alter the itinerary of our ships to ensure the safety and comfort of our Guests and Crew. We will provide updates as they are available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter