So about this Hurricane - 10/7 Dream cancelled, 10/7 Magic Canadian, 10/8 now 10/9 Fantasy 6-night

Wow, can't believe DCL is still expecting to start a Dream cruise on Friday and a Fantasy cruise on Saturday out of Port Canaveral. As of the 11 AM advisory, there is supposed to be a major hurricane sitting on top of Port Canaveral on Friday morning. I guess people getting on the Dream better hold onto their hats!

View attachment 199071
They aren't expecting to sail this weekend. I think they're trying to have more info to offer the thousands who are about to get the official word that their cruises are cancelled. So many freaking out right now. Imagine if Disney came out with: "Cruises embarking in Port Canaveral this weekend are cancelled." And that's all they said. People would lose their minds.

They aren't expecting to sail this weekend. I think they're trying to have more info to offer the thousands who are about to get the official word that their cruises are cancelled. So many freaking out right now. Imagine if Disney came out with: "Cruises embarking in Port Canaveral this weekend are cancelled." And that's all they said. People would lose their minds.

This is on their site right now.

upload_2016-10-5_11-50-35.png

How much net income does Disney make on one cruise? I can't imagine it's even a blimp on the billions they rake in. It's hardly greed. The easy thing would be if they just had canceled all their cruises for a week, refunded the guests and parked their fleet out of harm's way.
I genuinely think they are trying to find a way to give people this vacation. For some families it may be a ONCE in a lifetime trip, I'm glad Disney is taking the abuse, trying rather then writing off a few million and hunkering down.

The other part of the story is where they will bring the Fantasy and Dream to port to debark the passengers currently on those ships. They can't stay at sea forever.

I genuinely think they are trying to find a way to give people this vacation.

I'm really trying to be on board with this way of thinking also.

If we were on the 10/7 sailing at this point I would take advantage of the airline waivers and then wait for the inevitable cancellation so my insurance kicked in. If they ended up not cancelling or shifting ports by Thursday night, I would do the 75% cancel for any reason clause in our insurance and call it a day knowing I made the right decision for us. I would not take even chance of traveling in that mess.

I have to believe Disney is going to do right though, it is coming.

Several people have been told there will be an update today from DCL when they have called in, though they missed one estimate of a 10am announcement.

Um, Disney not coming out with their change plans is not putting anyone in danger. It's up to each person to use their head and not put themselves in danger. If I was scheduled on the 10/7 Dream I'd be planning to stay put at home.

Disney cannot announce a new schedule of changes when they simply don't know what they are yet. They don't even know if they'll be able to get back into PC next week. If you read previous posts, the last time a storm of magnitude hit PC the port was closed *****for 11 days*****. I think what's more important today is the safety of passengers & crew onboard. You know, all those people with cars parked at the port who aren't likely to have cars to retrieve????? And how about not depositing thousands of humans in a place that will have no water, electricity, gas, basic services, etc.

I get people are upset about their trips. I would be, too. But seriously, there's bigger issues right now so use common sense, stay home, and be patient. Disney will do what they can when they can make solid decisions that are appropriately prioritized.

AMEN!

And those cars include crew members' cars as well!! Not everyone who works on the ship is foreign and have no cars. There ARE crew members who DO have cars and they have no option of being elevated or undercover at all. IF they are lucky they have a spare set of keys with someone who can go retrieve the car, but not all of them are that lucky. (And ultimately that affects other crew members as those with cars help provide transportation and/or go and get things that the other crew members without cars need.)

in similar situation in the past DCL was able to use Port Everglades to bring the ships in and off load / load providing bus transportation to Orlando and Canaveral as weather permitted. By Friday Ft Lauderdale will be well outside of the storm ...

just a guess, but it is what they have done b4

Several people have been told there will be an update today from DCL when they have called in, though they missed one estimate of a 10am announcement.
Just spoke to DCL and they said an announcement is to come out at 1pm. I told them I would be calling back at 1:01pm for that. Just keeping all in the loop as I'm scheduled to fly in tomorrow nigth for my 10/7 Dream Cruise. Hurry Up Disney and make a decision on this... Other cruise lines have.

I'm supposed to be on the Dream on 10/7. I've just gotten off my 4th phone call in 4 days with Disney (and in doing so, learned to just ask for a shoreside supervisor instead of talking to a phone rep).

They answer in the typically happy Disney-tone, which gets me even more grumpy.

I want to know how Disney, in good conscience, can keep insisting that the port is fine, the cruise that's to get in on the 7th will be able to port, and we'll be able to get out Friday afternoon.

They say they have no answers yet, and they're trying to pull all the information they can before they make a definitive answer. Meanwhile, they're pretty much playing with people's lives, by not giving at least SOME information, even sketchy.

They say that they'll let us know before cruising time. They'll take care of people who are up in Orlando, who've flown in. Well, the only way I could get to the port is driving. I live in South Fla. I really don't want to have to drive 3 hours north, only to be slapped on a bus (in the middle of +50 mph winds, mind) and ride 4 1/2 hours down to Miami...

Disney really needs to get their act together and either pee or get off the pot. I'm tired of not knowing

Just spoke to DCL and they said an announcement is to come out at 1pm. I told them I would be calling back at 1:01pm for that. Just keeping all in the loop as I'm scheduled to fly in tomorrow nigth for my 10/7 Dream Cruise. Hurry Up Disney and make a decision on this... Other cruise lines have.
Only a few more minutes then!
in similar situation in the past DCL was able to use Port Everglades to bring the ships in and off load / load providing bus transportation to Orlando and Canaveral as weather permitted. By Friday Ft Lauderdale will be well outside of the storm ...

just a guess, but it is what they have done b4

They may not be able to use Port Everglades, if it intensifies today and tomorrow in the nice warm water in between the Bahamas and Florida. It could be bigger and it would rule out a lot of the east coast of FL.

Carnival is taking the "wait and see" attitude as well, with no regard to people flying in either. They are letting people cancel, though.

From their website:

HURRICANE MATTHEW
Weather Update – 10/05/16 – 12:30 PM (EST)

Carnival Victory – 10/6/16 departure
Port Canaveral will be closed to all marine traffic as of noon today. If the storm track changes, we plan to operate a two-day cruise on Friday with a call to Freeport, subject to a post-storm assessment by port officials.

In the event we operate a two-day cruise, a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one day and pre-purchased shore excursions for Nassau will be processed to your original form of payment within three weeks. Gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

We certainly understand the impact this unexpected change has on your travel plans. Should you wish to cancel, you may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL.

I was told the same thing about the 1pm time when I called to ask about my bus transfer from airport to port for my Friday sailing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter