slo’s MONDAY 10/9 poll - Jambalaya

Jambalaya - What’s your opinion, do you make it at home & what meats do you use? (m.c.)

• I like it 🙂👍🏻

Votes: 59 53.6%
  • It’s just ok 😐

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t like it 🙁👎🏻

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • I make it at home

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I eat it at a restaurant

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Sausage

Votes: 49 44.5%
  • Chicken

Votes: 41 37.3%
  • Shrimp

Votes: 40 36.4%
  • I’ve never tried Jambalaya

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
I sometimes make it from scratch, but most often it’s Zatarain’s. Either andouille sausage or kielbasa, chicken, shrimp, or any combination thereof.

Yes, add the shrimp at the final few minutes or they get rubbery.

Yes, our family likes jambalaya.

We make it from scratch & typically use chicken, shrimp, & Conecuh sausage for the proteins.

Jambalaya is our traditional meal for Mardi Gras, but we usually have it several other times throughout the year too.

Grew up in South Louisiana and had it a few times a month. Love, love , love good jambalaya. Almost always shrimp if Mama made it, or sometimes sausage. She was not from Louisiana, but an Incredible cook. Moved to LA in the 60s and learned the recipes. I have not made it in a long time, but we were just talking bout wanting some. I also Love chicken and sausage together. And I always make brown jambalaya, not red. Red is ok, but Not preferable. Have never tried making it from a box or packet or anything like that. Can hear Newman on Seinfeld saying ‘jambalaya! ‘ now craving some .
I grew up on red jambalaya b/c we are in Nola & brown jambalaya wasn’t a thing here until somewhat recently. I never saw brown jambalaya until I went to Baton Rouge for school. Usually the red we ate had shrimp & sausage & brown has pork, chicken & sausage. First time I had jambalaya in BR I was like what is this?! But, now I kinda prefer brown. But, overall, not a big fan of it (or any rice dish really). I would never order it at a restaurant. Just would eat it at a party or tailgate or something.

DH & I have had it out at some restaurants . Had versions that had all 3 ( shrimp, chicken , sausage) & others with 2 of them. The one at Boatwrights at POR was very good IMHO. It had some heat but wasn't very spicy. I'm not a fan of very spicy food. Of course I am no expert in Cajun/Carole food.

We lived in Louisiana for four years. Love making jambalaya. I use smoked sausage, chicken, and shrimp.

MMMMmmmmm...

I love it and make it from scratch since I have to avoid spicy foods. However, it can still be challenging to make it at home using store-bought Creole or Cajun seasoning because the heat levels can vary. If anyone knows of a great, readily available brand of very flavorful but not hot Creole or Cajun seasoning, please let me know!

ETA: Emeril's jambalaya recipe is an easy one for those who want to try it and easy to adjust spice level.

I 'll have to try Emeril's version. My go to Shrimp Scampi is his recipe. I use a little less store bought seasoning.

I like it, Sometimes made from scratch, but Zatarains is just as satisfying to me. I make it always with andouille sausage and then also a second protein — chicken or shrimp. Shrimp is my favorite.

Grew up on it, both brown & red (where I'm from, in the La Delta, red is usually only made with seafood or crawfish, if all the meat had feet, it's always brown.) We eat it at least once a week, and I keep a lot of individual portions in the freezer for work lunches; versions w/o shrimp microwave really well. It's my go-to quick weekday dinner. (It's also a very popular way to prepare game meats, especially duck, and is South Louisiana's favorite tailgate food.)

For those who dislike rice, there is a variation known as pastalaya, made with ... pasta.
https://www.rouses.com/cooking/recipes/chef-ninos-pastalaya/

For those who like the idea but prefer a different flavor profile, you might try Charleston Red Rice. https://kitchendreaming.com/charleston-red-rice-and-sausage/

Last edited:
How was the shrimp jambalaya, @slo?
Kinda boring actually - I didn’t realize how much extra flavor the sausage juices give it.
Next time I’m going to do both together, and save the shrimp by itself for Lent.

Thanks for asking and thanks again for the much needed advice 🙂

If anybody has trouble finding good andouille sausage, we order online from D'Artagnon and keep it on hand in the freezer. It's really good.

Kinda boring actually - I didn’t realize how much extra flavor the sausage juices give it.
Next time I’m going to do both together, and save the shrimp by itself for Lent.

Ah! Interesting. I always have sausage and shrimp so I wouldn't have guessed it would take it down a notch in the flavor department. Good to know. :thumbsup2

Reactions: slo
I voted I eat it at a restaurant, but what I really menu is I would eat it at a restaurant if I ever found it on a menu! You're more likely to find Paella here, I think, which is similar but milder.

Using chicken broth instead of water for the liquid will also help the shrimp-only version taste richer, as will sauteing 1/3 cp more trinity veggies in butter before you stir in the content of the box. (Trinity being a regional mirepoix mix of 1 part each onion, bell pepper and celery, finely chopped. Sometimes you can buy it pre-chopped and premixed in the frozen veggie section of the supermarket, or pre-make your own: I often chop up a big batch of Trinity and freeze it in recipe portions to save time, since I can't get the pre-made frozen version where I live. Bell pepper does get a bit mushy when frozen, but this is chopped fine and is being cooked in a broth, so it would get soft anyway.)

Last edited:
Using chicken broth instead of water for the liquid will also help the shrimp-only version taste richer, as will sauteing 1/3 cp more trinity veggies in butter before you stir in the content of the box. (Trinity being a regional mirepoix mix of 1 part each onion, bell pepper and celery, finely chopped. Sometimes you can buy it pre-chopped and premixed in the frozen veggie section of the supermarket.)
This is great advice too - thank you!
I will definitely try this ::yes:: 👍🏻

I voted I eat it at a restaurant, but what I really menu is I would eat it at a restaurant if I ever found it on a menu! You're more likely to find Paella here, I think, which is similar but milder.
Biggest difference between them is the saffron. It's the signature ingredient in paella, but isn't used in jambalaya and its variants. The broth (and thus the color of the cooked rice) of jambalaya is reddish or brown, depending on whether or not you choose to add tomato products.

Biggest difference between them is the saffron. It's the signature ingredient in paella, but isn't used in jambalaya and its variants. The broth (and thus the color of the cooked rice) of jambalaya is reddish or brown, depending on whether or not you choose to add tomato products.
Saffron, yes, and paella is, generally, less spicy. ...Depending on who cooks it, of course! :D

I use just sausage since that’s what the family prefers. I personally like chicken, sausage and pork but have never used shrimp in jambalaya.

I like Oak Grove jambalaya mix much better than Zatarains.

I use just sausage since that’s what the family prefers. I personally like chicken, sausage and pork but have never used shrimp in jambalaya.

I like Oak Grove jambalaya mix much better than Zatarains.
I'm a HUGE fan of Oak Grove, but can't get it outside of the Louisiana Gulf Coast area without paying a fortune for shipping. Every time I go home for a visit I bring back a case of both the Jambalaya mix and the Gumbo Base.

I also bring back Blanca Isabel Purple Rice (which I hear is now going to be carried by Trader Joe's in Louisiana and S. Texas!). If you're a brown rice eater who really doesn't love it, get your hands on some Blanca Isabel and you'll never want to eat the brown stuff again. It's really popular for making tailgate Jambalaya for LSU games, because you can use it to make the jambalaya in the school colors.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter