slo’s MONDAY 10/9 poll - Jambalaya

Jambalaya - What’s your opinion, do you make it at home & what meats do you use? (m.c.)

• I like it 🙂👍🏻

Votes: 59 53.6%
  • It’s just ok 😐

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t like it 🙁👎🏻

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • I make it at home

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I eat it at a restaurant

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Sausage

Votes: 49 44.5%
  • Chicken

Votes: 41 37.3%
  • Shrimp

Votes: 40 36.4%
  • I’ve never tried Jambalaya

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Guess what’s for dinner at my house tonight?
You guessed it - Jambalaya
So I ask…..

What is your opinion of Jambalaya?
Do you make it at home?
If yes….what meat/shrimp do you use?
(multiple choice)

For Me…..I like it, even though the spices make my nose run (I have to keep a few tissues on the table when I’m eating it - LOL!) I’ve never made it from scratch - I use Zatarain’s, which is very good to those that haven’t tried it. The only restaurant I’ve ordered Jambalaya off the menu is at House of Blues in Chicago and Disney Springs. Normally I make Jambalaya with sausage, but tonight I’m using shrimp. I‘ve never used chicken and I’ve never mixed the meats at home - no reason why - I just never have.

IMG_1323.jpeg IMG_1324.jpeg

I like it, although I ate it rarely. I have a friend in Louisiana. I belonged to a group for an actor years ago, and we used to get together in Vermont in the Autumn to watch his movies and TV shows and have a good time together. She would come and make the BEST Jambalaya with sausage. It was so good. I tried unsuccessfully every time to pry the recipe out of her, which was only in her head. She tried to tell me once how to make it, but I couldn't follow her 'mess of this and a finger-length of that' approach. I haven't had Jambalaya in years.

I don’t think I’ve ever had it. A family member makes it often but with seafood which I don’t eat. My dh loves it. I’d definitely maybe try to make it but with chicken.

Not a fan......but I don't eat rice.
DH likes it and will get it occasionally when we're out

I'm not a fan of spicy Jambalaya sausage. My mom used to make a dish that was similar using shrimp, which I liked. But it wasn't as spicy.

It's just OK, at least the restaurant versions of it I've had on buffet spreads. We're pretty far removed from the American south, so I don't know how authentic it is. I've never made it and probably never will.

I like it, and make it couple of times a year at home. I use Zatarains too.

I add sausage and shrimp, once in a great while chicken too. @slo, make sure to add shrimp at very end otherwise it’s rubber. I think box says 5 minutes, I do 2 maybe 3 minutes max. The shrimp just need to get warm.

We usually have it with cornbread. But my favorite is with Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits. (I love those things!)

I love jambalaya but have never made it from scratch because I am sure I would burn the roux. The best jambalaya I have ever eaten was at Ralph Brennan's in Downtown Disney.

I like it - haven't had it lately, but never considered making it at home. Not that I don't think I could, just not sure if the rest of my family would eat it, so I would probably have too many leftovers.

I like it, and make it couple of times a year at home. I use Zatarains too.

I add sausage and shrimp, once in a great while chicken too. @slo, make sure to add shrimp at very end otherwise it’s rubber. I think box says 5 minutes, I do 2 maybe 3 minutes max. The shrimp just need to get warm.

We usually have it with cornbread. But my favorite is with Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits. (I love those things!)
A BIG thank you for this advice!!!!!!
I’ve never used shrimp before so this advice today is perfect timing - thank you!

I don't think I've had jambalaya as such, the seasonings and all. Marie does make various rice dishes, known here as 'Marie's concoctions', but I don't recall with the creole type sauce, but rather with other kinds of sauces. They're all always very good.

Enjoy you evening meal tonight, Sandy.

I had a college friend from Lousiana who used to make a big pot of it and invite us over. It was good. I don't think I've ever had it other than those occasions years ago. Maybe i'll try to make some this winter...

I only recently discovered using soem Zatarain's in a crock pot. I usually just use sausage, but chicken is good too. I don't like shrimp, so that won't go in mine. It's really tasty and easy to make!

Last edited:
I’ve never had it. I generally avoid hot spicy food due to stomach issues, including most Cajun/Creole dishes.

I make it from scratch with chicken, sausage and shrimp, I make gumbo too (but dislike okra so use file powder). I have a pretty large spice collection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter