Single Parent DVC members?

I'm not a single parent (yet - currently getting divorced), but we (me, husband, 7-year-old DD) stayed at Kidani Village and Bay Lake Tower last month in the 1-bedrooms. I LOVED BLT!! Kidani was great, too, but BLT was better.

Our home resort is actually Aulani, but we've only stayed in the regular hotel room there so far, as that's when we bought our DVC last year.

I would love to visit WDW during the spring or fall, but it's tough since DD is in school and I'd prefer to avoid going during school breaks. While I didn't find the crowds too bad last month, DD couldn't handle the heat and humidity. But it'll be awhile before we can go back anyway, since we need to save up points again!

I bought DVC a little over 2 years ago. I own at Kidani, but have never actually stayed there as we prefer Jambo House. We always stay in a studio. Normally it's just my son & I. But, even if we take someone along (occasionally my Mother comes with us) I prefer to stick with the studio to make my points stretch farther. Our absolute favorite time to visit is Halloween. Not only do we love to trick-or-treat in the parks, but the crowds are better. But, now that my son is moving on to middle school, we'll be gravitating towards going during school breaks.

I really want to buy VGC & Poly as well, but haven't made that leap yet. Maybe next year...

Our home resort is Animal Kingdom - Kidani. We will go there every two years, even numbered years. My son loves wild animals so it is perfect for him and I love the restaurants. Odd numbered years we venture off to non florida locations like Disneyland, a cruise, or one day hope to get Aulani and Paris in.

We normally invite friends or family so we get a 2 bedroom villa, but on the odd numbered - non florida trips, it is just us so we get a deluxe studio or hotel room.

Even numbered - Disney World years we go for Star Wars weekend as soon as school is out. We may try for Spring Break next time. Odd numbered years just depends on when we have breaks from school and activities.

I was looking at the DVC info that I received in the mail (info DVD). It was basically a big commercial, but didn't really explain in depth (or with clarity) how to "own" it. I tried to navigate the DVC boards, but my eyes grow tired of reading while searching for hours for a clear explanation on how to own it and the benefits of owning it.

So, I have a couple questions...

1) If I choose AKV as my home resort, will i own it until the contract expires in 2057 (unless I sell it or deed it away)?

2) Is it better to purchase the lowest points initially, then buy more points or buy more points upfront?

I was looking at the DVC info that I received in the mail (info DVD). It was basically a big commercial, but didn't really explain in depth (or with clarity) how to "own" it. I tried to navigate the DVC boards, but my eyes grow tired of reading while searching for hours for a clear explanation on how to own it and the benefits of owning it.

So, I have a couple questions...

1) If I choose AKV as my home resort, will i own it until the contract expires in 2057 (unless I sell it or deed it away)?

2) Is it better to purchase the lowest points initially, then buy more points or buy more points upfront?

1) Yes or whichever year that contract expires, your sales rep will tell you.

2) Tougher question. It depends on you and how you want to use it. It really depends on how you plan to use your points. If you go every year or once every 3 years, how many are in your family, do you plan to bring family and friends with you and therefore need larger rooms, do you want to do cruises, other parks, adventures by disney, etc. I added on because we changed from wanting to do a trip every 3 years to every year, then added some more becuase we wanted to do more cruises and adventures by disney which are much more points. The problem with adding on is your home resort may not have always have available points for purchase, so I tend to think if you can figure out how many pts you will need early it is better.

1) Yes or whichever year that contract expires, your sales rep will tell you.

2) Tougher question. It depends on you and how you want to use it. It really depends on how you plan to use your points. If you go every year or once every 3 years, how many are in your family, do you plan to bring family and friends with you and therefore need larger rooms, do you want to do cruises, other parks, adventures by disney, etc. I added on because we changed from wanting to do a trip every 3 years to every year, then added some more becuase we wanted to do more cruises and adventures by disney which are much more points. The problem with adding on is your home resort may not have always have available points for purchase, so I tend to think if you can figure out how many pts you will need early it is better.

Thank you.

I was considering DVC, because I'm going to buy an annual pass. I was thinking it would be cost efficient to own a DVC property so we could take several trips to Disney a year to use our AP and stay on property. However, after reading your explanation and seeing how many points are needed for a one week stay, it would cost me a fortune to buy all those points. Oy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter