Single Parent DVC members?

TreesyB

DIS Veteran
Wow! So happy that Dis finally created this board. I'm curious about other single parents who own DVC memberships.

Where is your home resort?
What size room do you usually stay in?
What time of year do you like?

Give me a shout out!

I have membership at SSR and BCV. But I'm loving the Aulani trips right now.

It's just me and my son and when it's just the two of us, we'll often just stay in a studio. But when we have additional friends/family with us, we'll do a one bedroom. He and I always get the one bedroom.

Our fave time of year is to go the week of Xmas - New Years but I'm thinking we're going to try March break at Aulani next year.

Hi! Welcome!

I'm not a DVC member. Until I joined this site, I'd never heard of it before; however, I'm hoping to learn more about it.

Is it expensive to join/maintain membership?

How old is your DS? My DS is a year old. I love him to pieces! I'm sooooo glad I have a son! Boys LOVE their moms and my son makes me melt. :)

Hello again and welcome to the group!!!

Not a member, but have been toying with the idea for about 6 months now. Stayed DVC at BC for the first time this past April & loved it, especially the kitchenette. We would make microwave popcorn when we got back at night, and curl up in bed & watch a movie. I also prefer to stay deluxe for the convenience/location options.

Hi! Welcome!

I'm not a DVC member. Until I joined this site, I'd never heard of it before; however, I'm hoping to learn more about it.

Is it expensive to join/maintain membership?

How old is your DS? My DS is a year old. I love him to pieces! I'm sooooo glad I have a son! Boys LOVE their moms and my son makes me melt. :)

Hello again and welcome to the group!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm a big fan of the Disboards, so informative. It was through these boards I've navigated the whole DVC system.

The expense of DVC is really dependent on the number of points you buy and from where. I found the best expenditure for my situation and have about a week of vacation every year available to me in a one bedroom. That is my ideal, although, I have found myself going multiple times for one night stays and just hanging at the hotel, or going to DTD for dinner. I just value not having to go to the parks each and every time.

My DS is now 15 but I bought DVC when he was 6. We did cruise, and many years of Park visit trips, and then Aulani at the beginning of this year. He really enjoys the vacation experience with me and you're right he's always been especially taking care of me... and now more so as a 15 year old.

Not a member, but have been toying with the idea for about 6 months now. Stayed DVC at BC for the first time this past April & loved it, especially the kitchenette. We would make microwave popcorn when we got back at night, and curl up in bed & watch a movie. I also prefer to stay deluxe for the convenience/location options.

I love my DVC membership. It's meant that I could take it easy with our vacations, not be stressed out about going to parks and getting "value" for the vacations. And with the way Disney takes care of guests, it means that I had a vacation as much as my son. And I also loved having a full kitchen when I wanted it, and a washer/dryer too. Washer/dryer was so important in his younger years! LOL

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm a big fan of the Disboards, so informative. It was through these boards I've navigated the whole DVC system.

The expense of DVC is really dependent on the number of points you buy and from where. I found the best expenditure for my situation and have about a week of vacation every year available to me in a one bedroom. That is my ideal, although, I have found myself going multiple times for one night stays and just hanging at the hotel, or going to DTD for dinner. I just value not having to go to the parks each and every time.

My DS is now 15 but I bought DVC when he was 6. We did cruise, and many years of Park visit trips, and then Aulani at the beginning of this year. He really enjoys the vacation experience with me and you're right he's always been especially taking care of me... and now more so as a 15 year old.

Oh ok, thank you for the response. :)

Awww, that's so sweet (your DS taking care of you).

I love my DVC membership. It's meant that I could take it easy with our vacations, not be stressed out about going to parks and getting "value" for the vacations. And with the way Disney takes care of guests, it means that I had a vacation as much as my son. And I also loved having a full kitchen when I wanted it, and a washer/dryer too. Washer/dryer was so important in his younger years! LOL

I understand! When I travel, I prefer staying in condos, so I can have a kitchen. I don't think I've ever used the washer and dryer, but it's nice to have it just in case. :)

Welcome Home to all the DVC members. I love my DVC membership. Our home is AK For me and my DS we will get a 1 bedroom or a studio depending on how long we are staying. This year I'm taking my parents to Aulani after our cruise. They know we are going but have no clue what room we are staying in. I love surprising them.

Hi All-

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this new forum! I'm a newly single father and my DD10 and I absolutely love going to Disney every year. It is great to see a new forum out here just for us.

I purchased DVC back in '09 and have points at both Bay Lake Tower (BLT) and Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV). We usually stay in 1 bedrooms as I love the extra space and the washer/dryer. My daughter is in year round school and every 9 weeks has 3 weeks off. We could go throughout the year but her "Fall" break hits in Mid/Late November to Early December. Given that we LOVE all of the holiday stuff at Disney, we usually go the last week of November or First week of December (highly recommend first week of December). I can't say enough about how much I love my DVC!!!

Hi All-

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this new forum! I'm a newly single father and my DD10 and I absolutely love going to Disney every year. It is great to see a new forum out here just for us.

I purchased DVC back in '09 and have points at both Bay Lake Tower (BLT) and Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV). We usually stay in 1 bedrooms as I love the extra space and the washer/dryer. My daughter is in year round school and every 9 weeks has 3 weeks off. We could go throughout the year but her "Fall" break hits in Mid/Late November to Early December. Given that we LOVE all of the holiday stuff at Disney, we usually go the last week of November or First week of December (highly recommend first week of December). I can't say enough about how much I love my DVC!!!

Hmmm year round school sounds appealing! Do the breaks fall during off season sometimes, so you can take advantage of less people in the parks and cheaper rates?

Reading these responses is making me take a serious look at DVC for DS and me. AKV sounds appealing. I will see what DS gravitates toward. He's still young yet (1 year old).

Thanks OP for posting this. :)

Hi MommyMeNDisney- I love year round schools. It absolutely allows us to go to a variety of places always in an "off-season" if we wanted too. In the county we live in, we can pick from Magnet schools, charter schools, traditional calendar schools, year round schools, and others.

For year round schools, each school has 4 different tracks with each track having 2.5 to 3.5 weeks off during every season. Two of the tracks are more popular as they mirror more closely some of the times that traditional calendar schools get off. For the track that we are on, we got off the month of May, Late August to Early September, Late November into Early December, and then Late February/Early March. The only drawback is that my daughter has lots of friends in traditional calendar schools and it does bother her sometimes in the Summer that she can't go to the pool as much with her friends, have random play-dates during the weekdays, or stay up late when she does meet up with friends on a school night. Small price to pay though for the flexibility that this provides to us.

Hi MommyMeNDisney- I love year round schools. It absolutely allows us to go to a variety of places always in an "off-season" if we wanted too. In the county we live in, we can pick from Magnet schools, charter schools, traditional calendar schools, year round schools, and others.

For year round schools, each school has 4 different tracks with each track having 2.5 to 3.5 weeks off during every season. Two of the tracks are more popular as they mirror more closely some of the times that traditional calendar schools get off. For the track that we are on, we got off the month of May, Late August to Early September, Late November into Early December, and then Late February/Early March. The only drawback is that my daughter has lots of friends in traditional calendar schools and it does bother her sometimes in the Summer that she can't go to the pool as much with her friends, have random play-dates during the weekdays, or stay up late when she does meet up with friends on a school night. Small price to pay though for the flexibility that this provides to us.

Very interesting! Thank you for the thorough response. This gives me a clearer picture of year round schools.

One more question...

Since your daughter is off late November- early December. Then, not again until late February- early March. What happens on Christmas Day? Does she go to school on Christmas, if it's during the week? I hope that's not a dumb question. I don't want to assume she has Christmas off.

Not a dumb question at all. All schools close down for certain periods of time around the major holidays. For Christmas/New Years, she gets off a week and a half or so each year.

Great new forum! I am a single mom of a 9yo son and we own at AKL. We get a studio when traveling on our own, but normally bring family or friends and have gotten both one and two bedrooms, depending on number of people. We are heading to Aulani in a couple of weeks in an ocean front studio...cannot wait!! Love love love our DVC!

Not a dumb question at all. All schools close down for certain periods of time around the major holidays. For Christmas/New Years, she gets off a week and a half or so each year.

Wow, that seems like a sweet deal for your DD! Also, lots of time for you two to take trips. :)

I am a single parent and a DVC member. The contracts were purchased during my marriage and have been well used. I have 3 children but 2 are over 18. My older 2 leaving the nest and my becoming a single parent happened very close together, so my travel needs have changed drastically. Since I became a single parent I have done one trip with my 13 year old at the time and we stayed at Bay Lake in a studio. I did miss the one bedroom and am unsure what I will book going forward. The dates at the bottom are all pre-single parent. I need to update them to include the Bay Lake trip and a final full family trip where we lucked into a grand villa at Animal Kingdom Lodge. The trip was supposed to be my ex and the 13 yo in a studio but then all the children plus the older two's friends ended up going. Once the grand villa was booked the children convinced mom aka me that the unit was big enough for me and the ex to avoid each other, so I went. Won't ever travel with the ex again, but it was wonderful being with all the kids and their boy/girl friends and the grand villa was awesome. Maybe when grandchildren come along, hopefully not for awhile, I will do a Grand Villa again.

We did own at AKL, VB @ HH. The divorce forced us to sell AKL, but I got HH and he got VB. We tend to travel during the summer and school breaks. It has been a long time since I have had any other ticket other than an annual pass which was mostly due to the DVC pass discounts. I am going to have to be rethinking that also.

Last edited:
I've owned at BCV since my married days (was another of our many issues-I'm a Disney fan, he's not). My DD and I love making an annual trip to DL or WDW. Since we live on the west coast, we make longer less frequent trips to WDW. We like to stay 5 days in a WL studio then move to BCV 1 bdr the 2nd wee

week. I like to be able to do laundry at that point and we love the extra space & ultra luxurious master bath. I also bake corn muffins & coffee cake (mixes) for us to enjoy.

Sometimes we'll try out a new resort for 1 nt in between but so far these 2 are our favorites. Can't wait to head back next year!

(Disney is great about transferring luggage between resorts-LOVE the service there!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter