Signature Dress Code Language Change

I am a cancer survivor. I have a large bald area on my head from my radiation treatment that my hair never grew back plus a skin graft on my scalp. I have to keep it out of the sun so basically wear a hat most of the time except inside my house. Since I am lady, the gentleman must remove hats rule didn’t apply to me. I have the California grill dessert party book for next Saturday. I packed my fancy flat cap but I guess I can rock my Mickey ball cap if I want.

I am a cancer survivor. I have a large bald area on my head from my radiation treatment that my hair never grew back plus a skin graft on my scalp. I have to keep it out of the sun so basically wear a hat most of the time except inside my house. Since I am lady, the gentleman must remove hats rule didn’t apply to me. I have the California grill dessert party book for next Saturday. I packed my fancy flat cap but I guess I can rock my Mickey ball cap if I want.
I am glad you are a survivor and YOU GO GIRL.
We need to be cognizant of what we control (us and our environment) and not be bothered by other people's actions, unless it is impeding us in a material way. Simple key to happiness.
Disney is a business and will do whatever it's customer (and their money) tells it is the best decision. If we do not agree with that, the decision to take our business somewhere else lies with us and not Disney's.
Lastly, HAVE FUN. You have beaten the biggest scare of your life.

We’re about to be those people in citricos. We called for our luggage from bell services an hour and a half ago… about 20 min before a storm hit, shutting down deliveries. We have decent outfits but my husband and the kids don’t have any shoes other than flip flops. And the dress I brought just to wear to citricos is also with bell services:/

The problem with saying this is a gender neutral thing is the old rules could be used but without gender labels. So clearly it is about the rules themselves, not the genders.

As I've said, I don't care how people dress. I care how people dress when there's a published dress code. If there's a published dress code, people should follow it and Disney should enforce it.

If Disney advertises an event saying "It's a Small World" will be playing throughout the evening, and people make reservations based on that information, then they shouldn't have "Circle of Life" playing. I don't actually care to attend a an event playing "It's a Small World" music all night, but they shouldn't be advertising one experience and providing another.
Laughable comparison. But regardless, you should be perfectly happy now. There is no expectation of any specific dress code other than "no swimwear", so you have gone from caring how others dress to not caring how others dress. Your expectations will now be met.
On our last trip in June I asked my sister what was happening, because at our meal at Yachstman people were literally wearing sports tops and shorts like they just walked out of the park to eat dinner.
I mean, its Disney World. People DO literally walk out of the park to eat dinner. That's just reality. WDW is not downtown Manhattan or San Francisco. Its a theme park resort in Central Florida.

On our last trip in June I asked my sister what was happening, because at our meal at Yachstman people were literally wearing sports tops and shorts like they just walked out of the park to eat dinner.
Is that a problem? At the theme park capital of the world?
I always love to read comments on the posts about dress at signature restaurants. I am in the camp of what other people are wearing in now way affects my enjoyment of my dinner. I honestly can't even remember what anyone was wearing near us at any signature we have ever eaten at. Disney is a theme park resort - I think it is silly to expect people to pack a whole separate wardrobe just because they want to eat nicer dinners.
Yes. Maybe I'm just lazy, but with extra fees for checked baggage, ever-decreasing overhead bin capacity, etc. - the requirement to pack stuffy, wrinkly formal clothes that you will use once on vacation - seems like an antiquated tradition to me.

Is that a problem? At the theme park capital of the world?

Yes. Maybe I'm just lazy, but with extra fees for checked baggage, ever-decreasing overhead bin capacity, etc. - the requirement to pack stuffy, wrinkly formal clothes that you will use once on vacation - seems like an antiquated tradition to me.
Lol you think a short-sleeve collared shirt is formal? Nobody is asking you to wear a coat and tails. Just don't dress like you're going to volleyball practice.

Last edited:

Lol you think a short-sleeve collared shirt is formal? Nobody is asking you to wear a coat and tails. Just don't dress like you're going to volleyball practice.
No, you missed my point. I'm saying that, in my opinion of course, the idea of formal dining (especially at a vacation destination) is obsolete.

I am glad that V&A still enforces the dress code and age limit. It's nice for there to be someplace to dress up, and it's only one place in the whole resort. I don't really care what others wear though. I felt bad in May, because I had to wear my flip flops to Jiko for dinner. We had been to a wedding at AK in the morning. I walked over 10,000 steps in a brand new pair of heels. Doh! I had the worst blisters I have ever had. I couldn't wear the heels again, and my other sandals were rubbing off the bandaids. I didn't think people wanted to see my grotesque popped blisters. I guess we could have cancelled dinner but with a penalty, but I really love Jiko. I also didn't wear the dress I had worn to the wedding, because I just couldn't wear it with flip flops. I did wear something a little nicer looking though, pants and a blouse.

I am glad that V&A still enforces the dress code and age limit. It's nice for there to be someplace to dress up, and it's only one place in the whole resort. I don't really care what others wear though. I felt bad in May, because I had to wear my flip flops to Jiko for dinner. We had been to a wedding at AK in the morning. I walked over 10,000 steps in a brand new pair of heels. Doh! I had the worst blisters I have ever had. I couldn't wear the heels again, and my other sandals were rubbing off the bandaids. I didn't think people wanted to see my grotesque popped blisters. I guess we could have cancelled dinner but with a penalty, but I really love Jiko. I also didn't wear the dress I had worn to the wedding, because I just couldn't wear it with flip flops. I did wear something a little nicer looking though, pants and a blouse.

I doubt that any person in that entire restaurant noticed that you were wearing flip flops. I pretty much only wear flip flops to dinner at Disney, even when I'm wearing a dress because I like to keep packing to a minimum and I'm not going to pack dress shoes to wear just one night.

I doubt that any person in that entire restaurant noticed that you were wearing flip flops. I pretty much only wear flip flops to dinner at Disney, even when I'm wearing a dress because I like to keep packing to a minimum and I'm not going to pack dress shoes to wear just one night.
It wasn’t that I cared what others thought. It was more my standards for myself and my family. I kind of feel that my clothes should represent the level and cost of the meal. As long as people have clothes, tops, bottoms, and shoes, that do not seem to exhibit any intentional wardrobe malfunctions, then I don’t care or notice what others wear.

Well, based on this thread, it seems like some people would likely have noticed, but the logic for that defies me.

I can understand having a dress code at a wedding, for example. For one thing, that's a major event, and you usually know everyone there, and there will probably be pictures taken. That's completely different than caring what other strangers are wearing while you eat dinner.

Well, based on this thread, it seems like some people would likely have noticed, but the logic for that defies me.
It's a matter of degree. Someone wearing a golf shirt, Chino shorts, and leather flip flops doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. That falls within "resort casual." That's different than basketball shorts, adidas slides, and a "Female Body Inspector" t-shirt.

It's like... when the speed limit is 65, it's not a big deal if someone is going 67 even though it's technically speeding. Going 85 in a 65 is a big deal, as is going 67 in a 35.

I can understand having a dress code at a wedding, for example. For one thing, that's a major event, and you usually know everyone there, and there will probably be pictures taken. That's completely different than caring what other strangers are wearing while you eat dinner.
Atmosphere matters.

It's a matter of degree. Someone wearing a golf shirt, Chino shorts, and leather flip flops doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. That falls within "resort casual." That's different than basketball shorts, adidas slides, and a "Female Body Inspector" t-shirt.

It's like... when the speed limit is 65, it's not a big deal if someone is going 67 even though it's technically speeding. Going 85 in a 65 is a big deal, as is going 67 in a 35.

Atmosphere matters
Meh. I still don't get it.

Obviously, the ambiance and sophistication of the building, it's décor, etc. matters. But my enjoyment of the experience and the food is in no way affected by Joe Blow sitting at the next table, whether he's dressed like Pavarotti or Larry the Cable Guy.

Meh. I still don't get it.

Obviously, the ambiance and sophistication of the building, it's décor, etc. matters. But my enjoyment of the experience and the food is in no way affected by Joe Blow sitting at the next table, whether he's dressed like Pavarotti or Larry the Cable Guy.
I actually don't care myself either, but I understand why some people might. And I don't think it's fair to the people that DO care to publish a dress code and then not enforce it, because those people booked with certain expectations.

I actually don't care myself either, but I understand why some people might. And I don't think it's fair to the people that DO care to publish a dress code and then not enforce it, because those people booked with certain expectations.
I completely agree.

But if Disney purposely changes their dress code wording to make it more ambiguous, then I don't see anything wrong with taking advantage of that - which goes to my point a few posts back that dress codes are becoming obsolete.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter