• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should Disney get rid of ADR'S?

I was going to post about ADR's myself--but with a different view. I have always made my reservations in advance because we are told too--sort of 'THE LAW' if you want to have a place to eat at Disney.
This year, we aren't doing any of the FREE DINING plans, sort of figured that we might just even eat off property most of the time. BUT--our trip at Disney begins on August 26th and two days ago I just didn't feel right about not having any ADR's this year. So I called mid-afternoon and I was able to book, Le Cellier for dinner, Crystal Palace for breakfast and Chefs de France for lunch. I called today, early morning and got Liberty Tree Tavern and 50's Prime Time for lunch. What the heck is up with that??? I'm thrilled, but very surprised that anything was still available--especially during the Free Dining .

Yes they should get rid of them except for either the day of or possibly 24 hours ahead, and you should have to leave a deposit that is non refundable unless you cancel say 2 hours ahead. Dinner shows could be further out.

The most stressful trip from my point of view was the one we went with the dining plan and trying to plan all those restaurants and which parks on which days for the rest we wanted and then trying to change things around when the ADR wasn't open. Never again!

I think they should change ADR setup. I agree with a credit card deposit that gets charged a fee if you don't cancel with 24 hr notice or proof of a major emergency. I think it would work best if durring free dining they only aloud adr reservations once you've completly paid off your vacation. I know there are people who would beg to differ but honestly I'm sick of not being able to get a reservation and then seeing empty restaurants its not fair to paying guests.

No, Disney should not eliminate ADRs. I think Disney has tweaked their system so guests can not double, or triple book a particular meal. This is fair for everyone. :goodvibes

No, Disney should not eliminate ADRs. I think Disney has tweaked their system so guests can not double, or triple book a particular meal. This is fair for everyone. :goodvibes

I believe its been stated several times in previous posts that the system is still able to be abused with multiple bookings.

I actually enjoy planning my meals in advance. It gives my wife and I a great chance to sit down and do some talking about our upcoming trip. I also like the idea of being able to get a table, and not having to wait in an infinite line to be seated at an ungodly hour. I think the system has it's flaws, but it has served us well for many years.

I will say that I wish the window was 90 days rather than 180. At least we'd have park hours by then.

The park hours have been posted by 190-198 days in advance for at least a year, now.

But you have to know where to look.
(The "official" WDW site is NOT the place to check much of anything.)

Here's the entire year of Travel Agency Calendar listings.
(The TA Calendar is consistently the earliest-listed and best-maintained (frequently updated) of all of the on-line calendars.)

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December
-----------------------------------------

Ok so let's be fair is it truly a fair system?
Does it really benefit anyone or does it in fact cause more problems?

When I go on non- Disney vacations I don't pick my dining choices 90 days out? I go to the restaurant I just saw in the local area magazine with a great review. If i have to wait I wait. If I don't like the wait time I go somewhere else. Why is it so horrible to wait a few minutes. To take it easy and relax with the family on a bench or stroll around a gift-shop while you wait for you table to be ready?

I'm not quite sure why it is so difficult to do at Disney. I mean does no one else find it insane that you can't walk up to Le Cellier?

Now granted there are some places I think ADR's are a necessity, like Character Dining or dining with shows like Hoop De Do.

What do you think? Would Disney be a better place dining wise if there were no ADRS?

In my fantasy world? I'd love for there to be no ADRs - I can't stand planning meals out so far in advance.

In the real world I do think the system could do with some serious rethinking. A 180 day window is ridiculous, and as several of the previous posters have pointed out it's fairly easy to circumvent any safeguards the system has in place to prevent multiple ADRs.

Solution? I have no idea but I do wish someone could come up with one...

You're still able to book multiple ADR's for the same time by figuring out how to circumvent the new system meant to stop people from booking multiple ADR's for the same time. How nice for you. :sad2: What is even nicer is that you've chosen to advertise <brag about> it here to everyone. :sad2:

I wasn't bragging, don't assume things. I don't hold mutliple ADRs at WDW. I just know how to, so do a million other ppl, it's not news, obviously:flower3:

Too bad there isn't a flamethrower emoticon.

:lmao: At least they cancel...:confused3 I know it can be frustrating to find a reservation, but I really think maybe some emotional over reactions. ??? I do plan, so I generally know when and where I will be, but it can be tough to *fit* and ADR into plans, even basic ones. But I like ADRs, because it does eliminate some wasted time waiting for a table.

I havent read throough the countless pages of replies, but I'm sure mine sounds similar to others. I've said for a long time 6 months out is a long time to start planning meals-most of the time I dont know what I'm doing for dinner that day-let alone planning a meal 180 aways :rotfl:

Peoples plans are always changing and to me its ridiculous to have this set up the way it is. I feel all dining should be booked with a credit card number. I think that if you get Mickey Mail 45 days out, thats when you should be able to make dining reservations, and people like me quick weekenders, 3-5 days out. Also, for those who cancel less than 24 hours or no shows should be charged 18% on that CC guarantee. My system may be tough, but thats the point. Just me though, its the office manager, bookkeeper in me!

As for the first part, I will reiterate what I said earlier. I book restaurants that I want to eat it. Generally, if I have a reservation for steak house...I have something to look forward to all day. A lot of times I don't know what I am going to do for the day, yet I book my vacation almost a year in advance. I don't know if I will be sick, injured or even unemployed...but I make my plans and deal with it when it comes.

As for the people that don't show up for an ADR, there are too many factors to have a hardline approach here. Truthfully, people not showing up can be a good thing (as I mentioned in my earlier post). It allows someone else a walk up opportunity and their not showing up does not negatively impact your vacation (only your ability to book in advance, but you still had the same opportunity they did).

As for when you can book, not too long ago they did greatly shorten the time to get and ADR...and honestly it was much more difficult to secure any reservation. You have more people at 45 days out with reservations than you do at 90 or 180. The people that book their vacation early should be given a chance to make reservations as well. If you don't plan your vacation until a few months before your trip, it is understood that you started late. I own DVC and will often plan my trips 11 months out. I actually plan my trips years in advance, but I cannot book until 11 months out. I know when I am going this year, next year (including dates for next August, just waiting to be able to book) and have loose plans for 2013 as well. :woohoo:

NO I dont think they should get rid of ADRS, I admit sometimes its frustrating trying to get certain ones or planning trips around them BUT I feel they help before the hurt! Otherwise we would all be wasting valuable park or relaxing time waiting to get into a restaurant! Yes sometimes even with an ADR there is a wait but its minimal. If there is a ADR I have a hard time getting I just keep trying and trying several times a day and I almost always get what I want! In June at the last min I was able to get a Chef Mickeys dinner after trying for weeks! I was so excited, I acted like I hit the lottery jackpot!

I think it would hurt Disney, and customers in the long run. I can't even begin to imagine what the waits for dining would be like without ADRs. I got angry when I was seated 45 minutes past my ADR at Ohana on my last trip- I doubt I'd eat on-site at all if that was a daily occurance- having to wait an hour or two, wasting park time, to get dinner.

I wasn't bragging, don't assume things. I don't hold mutliple ADRs at WDW. I just know how to, so do a million other ppl, it's not news, obviously:flower3:

Ok, so in post #98 after you described in detail how to circumvent the new WDW ADR policy, your last sentence was "don't ask me how I know that :rolleyes1 " How else should we interpret that last sentence? :confused3

I don't think ADRs are always necessary and have had success in the past flying by the seat of our pants. However, Disney is very smart and they know how much we all love our planning. ADRs give us something else to do in the meantime so we can continue to plan. Getting and then changing our ADRs gives us something to do to pass the time. :thumbsup2

I see nothing wrong with having one ADR, finding another that is better and booking it, and then cancelling your first one. I use two email addresses to do that. It guarantees that you won't lose your first one before you even have the second one. You hold two reservations for about 5 minutes.

I know this would make the system more difficult for some, but I'd love to see a credit card hold on all ADR's. Sure people could still book an extra one or two as they tweak, but they'd be much, much more likely to cancel the ones they ultimately don't plan on using. I know this may cause some problems for people who are legitimately detained, but if they made it so you could call ahead within 1 hour to cancel, at least that would open up space for walk-ups, instead of holding a table for someone who is not coming.

Absolutley! Make people accountable for their ADR's.There has to be a consequence for multiple reservations.This would significantly cut down on empty tables.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter