• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should Disney get rid of ADR'S?

Not sure how I feel, but I do know this with it being so far out and not being able to tell what my family is going to want to do when they wake up in the morning at WDW I always make sure I have more then one option for lunch and dinner FLAME ON!!!!:mad::headache:popcorn::

I believe the system as it is now makes me do this, now if I was able to make an ADR in the morning and get a time and restaurant that I want then I would not have to book a lunch at each park and more then 1 dinner per day.. In the age of cell phones and smart phones why cant they just make it so you wake up and either get on the web or call for an ADR. OR EVEN BETTER

Have areas in the park where you can talk to a CS and make your lunch and dinner right there. Would make life easier in my honest opinion.

It would also stop those weird looks I get on the bus in the morning when I cancel that Crystal Palace DR for 12:30 cause I am going to Ak, instead of MK

Too bad there isn't a flamethrower emoticon.

There's no justification for what you do. No one believes the current system set-up (namely the 180 days) is more ridiculous than me. But I would still never engage in such a practice. Why doesn't it surprise me you're from Jersey? :rolleyes2

Just going to go on the record saying- just because you are offered the capability of booking 180 days out doesn't mean you have to. I think the only thing I have ever booked the very day it opened up was the Dessert Party.

Unless you are going peak season(which I highly doubt everybody is), there is no requirement of knowing where you want to eat a half a year ahead of time. Last year, the day before Thanksgiving, Tusker House reservation, maybe 3 months ahead of time(still a plan ahead, but not a half a year ahead).

Sorry, I just didn't want a new person who might be looking at this thread thinking it is some weird requirement to book ADR's 180 days in advance....

if the time frame is going to stay at 180 days, here is a simple way of making sure there is no double booking in multiple resturants

keep the 180 system for resort guests, and say 90 for non guests
tie it to their room reservation number, and do a lock out in the computer system, like they do with fast pass. i.e you book ohana's at 10:00 am, you can't have another reservation until say 12:30

Too bad there isn't a flamethrower emoticon.

There's no justification for what you do. No one believes the current system set-up (namely the 180 days) is more ridiculous than me. But I would still never engage in such a practice. Why doesn't it surprise me you're from Jersey? :rolleyes2

(Bolding mine)

Hey, if you read my post from a couple back, I was with you, until the NJ crack, that is! DH and I were both born and raised in Brooklyn, and moved to NJ 12 years ago, so I still consider myself a NY'er, since 32 of my 44 years were spent in Brooklyn...still, let's play nice, OK? ;)

:sunny:

tie it to their room reservation number, and do a lock out in the computer system, like they do with fast pass. i.e you book ohana's at 10:00 am, you can't have another reservation until say 12:30

If it was that simple they would have done it.

The problem is that you could have a room where some of the room guests (all on the same reservation number) wants to eat breakfast at Ohana at 10 and the others want to eat at Chef Mickey at 10...the system would see this as one reservation booking 2 ADR's when this is perfectly valid if the room occupants are eating at 2 separate locations at the same time.

(Bolding mine)

Hey, if you read my post from a couple back, I was with you, until the NJ crack, that is! DH and I were both born and raised in Brooklyn, and moved to NJ 12 years ago, so I still consider myself a NY'er, since 32 of my 44 years were spent in Brooklyn...still, let's play nice, OK? ;)

I know, rude comment from pp about people from NJ especially coming from someone from NY where the rest of the US thinks people are rude. I'm originally from the midwest, so I really have no personal stake in it. I spent over 10 years living in Brooklyn, too. I'd say don't see much difference between people from NJ and NY. There are nice and rude people everywhere you go.

Not sure how I feel, but I do know this with it being so far out and not being able to tell what my family is going to want to do when they wake up in the morning at WDW I always make sure I have more then one optio
Code:
n for lunch and dinner FLAME ON!!!!:mad::headache:popcorn::

I believe the system as it is now makes me do this, now if I was able to make an ADR in the morning and get a time and restaurant that I want then I would not have to book a lunch at each park and more then 1 dinner per day.. In the age of cell phones and smart phones why cant they just make it so you wake up and either get on the web or call for an ADR. OR EVEN BETTER

Have areas in the park where you can talk to a CS and make your lunch and dinner right there. Would make life easier in my honest opinion.

It would also stop those weird looks I get on the bus in the morning when I cancel that Crystal Palace DR for 12:30 cause I am going to Ak, instead of MK

The system does not make you do it. You obviously don't agree with the system so you circumvent it for your own gain. If you want to wing your days that is great but making Adrs at every park is a lttle much, imo.

(Bolding mine)

It was meant as a joke. Unfortunately, on a message board, things don't always get interpreted they way they were intended.

Not sure how I feel, but I do know this with it being so far out and not being able to tell what my family is going to want to do when they wake up in the morning at WDW I always make sure I have more then one option for lunch and dinner FLAME ON!!!!:mad::headache:popcorn::

Here's a novel idea: pick a plan and stick to it. Make a plan for where you want to tour/ eat on a particular day and just do that. How hard would that really be? What you are doing currently is very inconsiderate to all the others who just want to make a single ADR for a single restaurant and can't get in because you've carpet bombed multiple restaurants for the day. :sad2:

Maybe my DH and DD are unusual, but every night before bed while at WDW, they ask, "Where is breakfast tomorrow?" Then I tell them and they say "Yum!" or something like that. The next afternoon, they'll say, "Where's dinner tonight?" I'll tell them and they'll say something like "Oh, goody!"

That's why I never understand why it seems like a big deal to lots of people to wait and figure out at the last minute what food everyone's in the mood for - we know our favorites, and we know that there are always 1 or 2 new places we'd like to try. Neither my DH nor DD give me a hard time because we discuss and plan ahead where we want to eat before each visit to WDW. No need for double bookings or arguments.

I agree -- I like to eat LOL! Eating is a big part of my vacation and my culture (maybe it's cause I'm Italian :goodvibes) but we take our meals very seriously. They are more than that. For us, they are a way to recharge, sit down and relax for an hour -- and in the case of breakfast, start the day off with a good meal (and, ok a mouse or bear or two!)

It was meant as a joke. Unfortunately, on a message board, things don't always get interpreted they way they were intended.

No problem - that's why I like the little winky-face...you're right that it's hard to tell when someone's making a joke on a message board...:hippie:

I haven't read the whole thread, but no ADRs seems like a TERRIBLE idea. That means there would be 20,000 dining slots per day open every morning.

To any that support the idea, which of these options do you want to do on your vacation:

(A) Get up at 6 AM every morning (or whatever time designated) to log on to get the restaurant they wanted, with no guarantee they would get it.

(B) Get to the park hours early to line up and sign up for restaurants.

OR

(C) Wait in line at the actual restaurants for hours waiting to get a table.

Because the option that the OP seems to be hoping for - restuarants are uncrowded enough that people just walk up and eat - isn't gonna happen.

I agree -- I like to eat LOL! Eating is a big part of my vacation and my culture (maybe it's cause I'm Italian :goodvibes) but we take our meals very seriously. They are more than that. For us, they are a way to recharge, sit down and relax for an hour -- and in the case of breakfast, start the day off with a good meal (and, ok a mouse or bear or two!)

I'm in total agreement with you - and I'm a nice Italian girl from a very food-oriented family...we sure do love to eat!

Any popular and higher priced restaurant takes reservations. These are not a Chilis or Red Lobster and to imply that an advanced reservation system is somehow unfair, means you are not used to going to a restaurant that takes reservations. Is 180 days unfair, nope....considering you can book everything else that far out. Why stress out 7 days before hand or have to worry about calling to get a reservation the day of or even at any point you are on vacation.

For my family, we eat at places we enjoy, so I never get to Disney and say, man I really don't want to eat at Ohana's tonight, I would rather have lobster. We look forward to our reservations and if we don't feel like eating a big meal or something similar, than we cancel the reservation and someone else gets a shot at it.

Now, for early stages of planning I might make multiple reservations as I am really planning what days we are going to be at what park...but that is usually sorted out pretty quickly (unless they are late on the calendars...LOL) and I don't hold multiple reservations just to have options, etc.

But, I don't think that is necessarily unfair either. Actually, in some ways it can help the non-planners because a certain percantage of reservations won't be there and will permit someone walking up to get in. If everyone showed up for every reservation, there would be NO chance at walking up to a restaurant.

No, I don't think they should get rid of ADR's. They are great when you have young children. We have never had to wait longer then 10 minutes.

I havent read throough the countless pages of replies, but I'm sure mine sounds similar to others. I've said for a long time 6 months out is a long time to start planning meals-most of the time I dont know what I'm doing for dinner that day-let alone planning a meal 180 aways :rotfl:

Peoples plans are always changing and to me its ridiculous to have this set up the way it is. I feel all dining should be booked with a credit card number. I think that if you get Mickey Mail 45 days out, thats when you should be able to make dining reservations, and people like me quick weekenders, 3-5 days out. Also, for those who cancel less than 24 hours or no shows should be charged 18% on that CC guarantee. My system may be tough, but thats the point. Just me though, its the office manager, bookkeeper in me!

I am a fly by the seat kind of guy but when I am spending the amount of money I do to go to Disney (which we love), the last thing I want to do is wait in line to eat. With ADR, I can still fly by the seat but slow down to allow the opportunity for refueling without losing valuable park time.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the current system i made my adr's 180 (+10) because there were certain places and times i absolitely wanted. Then everything (the less popular places) else i have been scheduling and rescheduling since then without much difficulty, because yes in the last 4 months, my plans have changed because we decided to do things differently or disney changed their schdule. And I don't see anything wrong with this. If my husband wants to take me to a special restaurant he has to book it in advance, I went to Sandals for my honeymoon and a couple of the restaurants u had to make reservations and the one we booked the day we got there and couldn't eat there til our fourth day.
And people who don't make ADR's are not left to starve. We don't make ADR's for every meal and we have been able to walk up to the less popular restaurants, and some more popular ones at off hours and be seated with a reasonable wait. To me all the ADR system is allowing me a gaurantee to eat where I want when I want. If you don't care where or when u eat u can always find something.
I basically relate it to this I would NEVER expect to be able to walk up to one of the most popular restaurants around here on Valentine's day and be seated so why should I expect that at disney.

I will say that I wish the window was 90 days rather than 180. At least we'd have park hours by then.

I have no pity for people who don't make ADR's and then are crushed to learn they can't eat at their restaurant of choice. I would never spend thousands of dollars on something I didn't investigate thoroughly. Even if you've never been to Disney, once you decide to spend the money on your trip then it's your responsibility to do some research.

If I were going to Hawaii, I wouldn't just book my airfare and hotel...I'd read up on restaurants/activities/happenings so I enjoy everything it has to offer!

Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter