• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should Disney get rid of ADR'S?

I actually think Disney marketing has been pretty brillant on this front. The Dining Plan gets people in their restaurants. Before our trip with DDP, we never came close to averaging one TS meal per day. On our first trip with DDP, we eat way more TS than we ever would have. Once we make our ADRs, there is a good chance we are going to eat there (I only cancelled 1 out of 8 and it was purely because we weren't hungry for another meal that day). So Disney wins by keeping us on property and spending money in their establishments.

Maybe my DH and DD are unusual, but every night before bed while at WDW, they ask, "Where is breakfast tomorrow?" Then I tell them and they say "Yum!" or something like that. The next afternoon, they'll say, "Where's dinner tonight?" I'll tell them and they'll say something like "Oh, goody!"

That's why I never understand why it seems like a big deal to lots of people to wait and figure out at the last minute what food everyone's in the mood for - we know our favorites, and we know that there are always 1 or 2 new places we'd like to try. Neither my DH nor DD give me a hard time because we discuss and plan ahead where we want to eat before each visit to WDW. No need for double bookings or arguments.
This is pretty much how we roll too. I don't book my trips 180 days out. Granted, I travel during slower months but ADRs haven't really been an issue. There have been some I have had to work for but other than LeCellier, I have gotten everything I wanted.

For us, part of the fun is the planning. We figure out which park we are going to for the day, and then plan dining around it. I would hate it if we had to wait until morning to see what ADRs we could get and then figure out where we were going that day! Even with park hoppers, you lose a lot of time traveling back and forth.

Maybe my DH and DD are unusual, but every night before bed while at WDW, they ask, "Where is breakfast tomorrow?" Then I tell them and they say "Yum!" or something like that. The next afternoon, they'll say, "Where's dinner tonight?" I'll tell them and they'll say something like "Oh, goody!"

That's why I never understand why it seems like a big deal to lots of people to wait and figure out at the last minute what food everyone's in the mood for - we know our favorites, and we know that there are always 1 or 2 new places we'd like to try. Neither my DH nor DD give me a hard time because we discuss and plan ahead where we want to eat before each visit to WDW. No need for double bookings or arguments.

:sunny:

My family is like this as well. It is no big deal. If we want steak, we know we are having steak sometime during our stay. Seafood the next time. We dont sit there and say "I have to have Italian tonight!"

I think 180 days is too far out but would not like to see ADRs go away. I dont like to wait too long at home at the local mall restaurant I dont wont to wait on vacation.

It was a bit of a pain to reschedule things the last time we went though, we had to rearrange our days bc some of them were just too cold for AK, so we adjusted our days, but then I had to cancel ADRs, and when I tried to rebook we couldnt get them. We got other places, just not what we wanted.

Ok, so in post #98 after you described in detail how to circumvent the new WDW ADR policy, your last sentence was "don't ask me how I know that :rolleyes1 " How else should we interpret that last sentence? :confused3

I understand what you are saying...but I wasn't bragging. I know how to do because the first time I did it on accident. I use two e-mails and switch b/w them quite often, so I forgot which one I had used. I will admit to having multiples when I am planning my vacation and still arranging my schedule a lot, but now that our plans are 99% in place, I only have the ones I think we will use.

I don't think Disney will be able to create a completely fair system and I don't think they will be able to eliminate it, since it is so popular. Many peeople would be very upset if they eliminated it. I don't think people should hold multiples at the same time during there vacation. If you do the right amount of research and planning, you will know how and where and when to fit them in and check back frequently if you can't find one. People do cancel. If you get to your vacation, you can always call the day of, likely someone cancelled last minute. And also, they don't normally reserve enough for every seat. Disney knows and plans for walk-ins, so it's nothing to stress about if you are one.They plan for you too.

This made me wonder if people should be allowed to trade ADR's the day of? You know sometimes even if when your a uber planner like myself, things still happen unexpectedly when you get there. It would be cool to trade ADR's with people via smartphones. I know the table top number would have to be the same. You couldn't trade a 6top for a 4top, if there were 6 ppl in your party, you would need 6 seats at least. But with so many families, I don't think it wold be impossible to find a family size that was equal or larger than yours. You could fit 4ppl obviously at a 6top table, although, it would be a waste of space and money for Disney and the server to do so.

I think that would be a cool app if Disney allowed it. People could put their reservations in: confo number, time, restaurant, number of guests and say what they are looking for as well. It would probably be easiest if you could be flexible about what you wanted instead. When you find someone willing to trade that has something you want, Disney could switch your info. Probably would need the reservation to still be 30min or longer out from the time submitted to trade. If the time of the reservation comes, and they haven't traded or showed up for their reservation on time, Disney will know they are a no-show. That seems to be a good idea to me anyways. If I missed an 11am lunch, I could get a 1am lunch. If it was 9am and I knew I wouldn't make it because I was running behind or something, someone up early might be hungry and ready for lunch, and check the app for any last minute availabilites for 11am, early lunch.

I also thought when you would go in to the system to trade an adr, Disney could ask you if you were still going to make it if you don't trade, yes or no, so they know if you don't trade it, you will be a no-show ahead of time. If it was a app, I think they should stick to trading only 3 to 5 days in advance with the last minute being 30min prior to your reservation time.

Just an idea, but I think it would help people out...

AND as an option, Disney could ask you why you weren't going to make it

Running late
Running early
Changed Plans
Stuck in a line or another area of the park
Stuck at another reservation (BBB etc)
Other

People wouldn't have to answer, but it would help disney research why ppl didn't make their ADRs.

People are complaining about the people who book late being shut out...well arent you shut out of hotels too, I mean it is always possible. You may want to book Beach Club but bc you didnt book your travel plans, 4 months out it is booked solid, so then you wind up at SSR or somewhere else.

People are complaining about the people who book late being shut out...well arent you shut out of hotels too, I mean it is always possible. You may want to book Beach Club but bc you didnt book your travel plans, 4 months out it is booked solid, so then you wind up at SSR or somewhere else.

Yeah but typically people show up for the rooms when they book hotels, many people double and triple book their dining reservations with little or no intention of showing up for them all.

Yeah but typically people show up for the rooms when they book hotels, many people double and triple book their dining reservations with little or no intention of showing up for them all.

Oh I dont agree with double booking at all!

I just was saying that if I book 6 months out I expect their to be a greater selection of places to stay and places to eat, than if I book 3 months out. It is not a fair or unfair thing, they have to open that window sometime and the ones who book early are going to have the most choices.

Oh I dont agree with double booking at all!

I just was saying that if I book 6 months out I expect their to be a greater selection of places to stay and places to eat, than if I book 3 months out. It is not a fair or unfair thing, they have to open that window sometime and the ones who book early are going to have the most choices.

Of course there would be. Because you would have made everyone who planned further ahead wait for you to compete with them for the ADR;s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter