• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shari's Disney Dining Review - Yorkshire stylee! (With pics!)

mamaboogie

DIS Veteran
Welcome Gentle Reader, to my dining review. Come on in, sit down, relax and put your feet up. In this review you will read about some of the most amazing food I have ever eaten.

Here's who we are:

Me (Shari): One time Disney cynic, converted by :-
Simon (My hubbie): Disney fanatic, step dad extradinaire and all round amazing person. I found the magic thanks to HIM.
Sarah (14): Looks EMO, one of the nicest 14 YO you will ever meet. (Yes I'm biased!)
Kate (12): Simon's rollercoaster buddy. Determined to eat WDW steak by steak!

Between us we have differing food likes and tastes. Our main objective? To try lots of new food without worrying about cost. For we were on the free DDP! (Free food? I'm still wondering how we swung that! Especially considering some of the wonderful food we ate!!)

Our ADRs:
Shutters
Liberty Tree Tavern
Tusker House
Coral Reef
SCi-fi Dine in
California Grill
Ohana breakfast
Whispering Canyon
Boma
Artist Point
Le Cellier
Narcosses

I have to warn you - we did add some other ADRs and take away one of them? Which ones? You'll have to wait and see. We also had some good food experiences out of Disney which I'll mention in passing too!

We did take lots of pics, some are slightly blurry and we didn't take pics of everything - apologies in advance!

Anyway. To the dining! As you may have guessed, we are from England so we got up very early to get to Manchester Airport. Once there, we had our first holiday food:

2008_0818Image0003.jpg

A bacon butty (sandwich) for Si, Kate and me and a tuna sandwich and yoghurt for Sarah. Yes, I know it's not Disney food but it's the start of our holiday food! And with the high cost of the airport food I was mighty glad the Disney food would be free!

Now, I'm a bit sad. I actually like having food on aeroplanes. I love all the little packets and things they give you. All the fiddly things you have to open.

As soon as you get on they give you a drink and a small packet of pretzels.

Pretty much immediately they then serve you your main meal. Bear in mind this was about 11am our time! I had chicken with cheesy mash potato, which also came with pasta, crackers, cheese, a bread bun, a fruit pudding and a glass of wine (coffee came later). Kate, as a child (with Virgin if not at Disney!) had pasta, haribo, cheese dippers, a bag of fruit, yoghurt, shortbread and a fruit drink.

Later on we were served a sandwich, yoghurt bar and a drink.

Now, I know what you're thinking - I must have pretty low standards if I get excited about aeroplane food - but it's just part of the whole holiday experience!

We checked in at the Carribean Beach Resort with no problems. Si and I went to concierge because we wanted to amend some ADRs. This was surprisingly easy. We made our first night Shutters reservation earlier so we could go our afterwards, we added tea at the Grand Floridian Cafe for Sarah and myself and also Raglan Road for after La Nouba (I'd read so many good reviews of RR on here!)

Anyway, our first official Disney meal was to be at Shutters, the CBRs table service restaurant. To be honest, we didn't really expect very much from it - we just wanted the convenience of eating in our resort.

I have to say, we were most pleasantly surprised. This was a wonderful meal and a wonderful start to our holiday.

Our server was called Oskar and he was great fun - lovely with the kids, especially Sarah (14).

I had the plaintain crusted red snapper with spicy shutters potatoes and vegeatables. It was wonderful and very filling! Si and Kate had the NY strip steak and I had my first case of food envy as it was delicious! Sarah had a feta/chicken/chorizo pasta which looked great. She also had a freezed apple sour drink with a cherry on top while Kate had a pirates punch with a glowing Tinkerbell. Si and I had a beer each which was very welcome.

Here's Kate, Simon and Sarah at Shutters:

2008_0818Image0028.jpg

The plaintain crusted red snapper:

2008_0818Image0033-1.jpg

Kate attacking her NY strip steak:
2008_0818Image0032.jpg

Sarah and her sour apple freeze:

2008_0818Image0029.jpg

As we were on the DDP we only paid for the beers, pirate's punch and tip. Our first use of the Dining plan - result!

We were made to feel so welcome and looked after here - just what we needed after getting up at 3am (it was now 11pm in England!) and having an 8 hour plane journey! I would really recommend this restaurant, good food and good service, a good family meal.

We were too full to eat dessert (must have been all that aeroplane food!) so we got them to go. (I do believe we might have eaten some of them for breakfast next morning - a recurring theme!:thumbsup2 )

Just to say we also bought the refillable mugs at Old Port Royal and got quite a lot of use out of them!

Well, that's the end of my food news on our first day in Disney. Lots more to come!

Shari xx

Great start, Shari! :thumbsup2 My DH is from Yorkshire. My FIL introduced me to the joys of a bacon butty last summer. ;)

Now, I must ask--just how much of that enormous steak did tiny little Kate eat? :lmao: It looked almost as big as she is.

Love your review so far!
It is so funny you mentioned the "bacon butty". I was just explaining one on my dining review! BIL is from Leicestershire and introduced me to them, now I make them all the time.
Thanks for taking the time to post your pics/reviews so far.

enjoyed your review and the photos - waiting for more!

Thanks! I'm so excited to have some replies!

Great start, Shari! :thumbsup2 My DH is from Yorkshire. My FIL introduced me to the joys of a bacon butty last summer. ;)

Now, I must ask--just how much of that enormous steak did tiny little Kate eat? :lmao: It looked almost as big as she is.

It was huge and like most WDW she had a really good stab (ha!) at it! In some ways it's daft that she had to have adult meals, but it meant she could try lots of new things. And with the DDP being free - we told the kids not to worry if they couldn't finish!

Sounds excellent, bring it on! :thumbsup2
Thanks a lot!! I'll try to post Liberty Tree Tavern later today - as you can imagine we are trawling through hundreds of photos at the minute!

Love your review so far!
It is so funny you mentioned the "bacon butty". I was just explaining one on my dining review! BIL is from Leicestershire and intoduced me to them, now I make them all the time.
Thanks for taking the time to post your pics/reviews so far.

Bacon butties are the best! Especially at 6:30 am in Manchester Airport when you've already been up for over 3 hours!

Lovely, another foodie trip report to feed my Disney Dining Addiction.

Whats a bacon butty?

Lovely, another foodie trip report to feed my Disney Dining Addiction.

Whats a bacon butty?

A bacon butty, here in the UK, is 2 slices of bread with oodles of bacon in the middle a la sandwich style, preferably dripping with loads of fruity sauce or ketchup - yum :)

Thanks for all your comments!

Bacon butties are delicious - you could also try a sausage butty, egg butty and the king of butties - The Chip (fries) Butty! All of the above can also be referred to as 'baps' eg. bacon bap, sausage bap.....(usually with a bread roll rather than two pieces of sliced bread.)

With a bacon butty I like brown sauce - fruity sauce?

Yes, the snapper was delicious - and a very big, meaty fish!

Shari xxx

It's great to see a review of Shutters.:goodvibes We'll be at CBR for the first time in Deceber and I've never really seen any reviews of the food there. I'm hoping you'll have one of the CS there as well .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter