• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sharing a bedroom on vacation

How many people are going to be staying in this house? Seems like it could exceed the maximum capacity with more people than beds.

Just a thought, could two cousins the same age share a bed? Maybe trade out one kid with one of your siblings, then change it up during the week? Or could you rent or borrow an RV or pop up camper that you DH and youngest could sleep in. My Bil brought his family of 5 kids and their significant others for Thanksgiving one year. We were delighted to see everyone but there wasn’t a ton of extra room. They brought an RV which two couples and some animals stayed in. It worked out perfectly.

I’m so sorry - I know you want advice but - there is no solution. 5 people should not be sharing a bedroom for 2 weeks (or one week). Dump all the kids from all families in living room is best I got.

I’d be declining the invite unless my family got 2 bedrooms. Sounds like you all have long outgrown accommodations. Dad needs to be open to two places side by side or bigger place if he wants this to continue. And if he can’t afford that rethink how you can all visit - maybe each family pitching in etc.

How many people are going to be staying in this house? Seems like it could exceed the maximum capacity with more people than beds.
OP didn't say what beach but I know there are some huge homes at Outer Banks, NC that easily sleep 14, with elevators, etc. They are made for large family gatherings.
My parents' NJ shore house is 6BR/4BA and sleeps 15. That includes 1 pull out sofa bed and no inflatable mattresses. When my niece got married she and her husband would then go sleep in the boat instead of sharing the triple bunk beds with my other niece (her cousin). We would tease my dad that he needed to build a bigger house.
It was usually only 1 or 2 nights though. We'd all drive each other crazy to do that for an entire week. Way too much togetherness but my parents and grandmother LOVED it. No regrets.
Since my mom passed, he can't be there more than an hour. On further thought, I'd tell the kids to suck it up, find a way to make it work. It won't be this way forever.

Sorry, I did not read all of the responses, so maybe this was mentioned---but what about a camping pad and sleeping bag on the floor? Perhaps the kids can rotate who gets the bed and who sleeps in the sleeping bag? It/they may take up less room than an air mattress, perhaps?
I used to sleep on a few folded blankets on the floor when I was a tween on vacation and didn't want to share a bed with a sibling, and it didn't bother me in the least. So the pad would be an upgrade from what worked for me as a kid! :)

Or, is it possible for someone to sleep on a sofa somewhere instead of everyone in the bedroom? or are people using the room with the sofa too late in the evening for the oldest child to stay up at night?

OP didn't say what beach but I know there are some huge homes at Outer Banks, NC that easily sleep 14, with elevators, etc. They are made for large family gatherings.
My parents' NJ shore house is 6BR/4BA and sleeps 15. That includes 1 pull out sofa bed and no inflatable mattresses. When my niece got married she and her husband would then go sleep in the boat instead of sharing the triple bunk beds with my other niece (her cousin). We would tease my dad that he needed to build a bigger house.
It was usually only 1 or 2 nights though. We'd all drive each other crazy to do that for an entire week. Way too much togetherness but my parents and grandmother LOVED it. No regrets.
Since my mom passed, he can't be there more than an hour. On further thought, I'd tell the kids to suck it up, find a way to make it work. It won't be this way forever.

If the house is that big, there would be no reason for a family of 5 to all share one bedroom with admittedly not 5 sleeping surfaces. I don't count a toddler bed.

We have 5 boys I have been there..
I would ask the girls what they think, they are old enough to help find a solution for the problem. Especially because they are causing the issue with what they cant or wont do.

Also
They make a toddler air mattress that's smaller than a twin my son was 5 he used it on a vacation and worked perfectly.

2 weeks is a long time. Maybe the family can work out staggering their stays, each staying 7-10 days with a couple days overlapping in the middle where everyone’s there together. Then you only need to deal with the cramped quarters for a few days.

If the house is that big, there would be no reason for a family of 5 to all share one bedroom with admittedly not 5 sleeping surfaces. I don't count a toddler bed.

OP doesn't explain the other siblings sleeping arrangements. Maybe it's equally tight in those bedrooms too or maybe her siblings have only have 1 small child who sleeps on the floor next to his parents' bed. Who knows.
It sounds like this has been going on for years and it once worked when they had fewer children but now it's tight and OP's father hasn't realized it. He probably spends a lot of money for this place so I feel that the time to complain or ask him to change things is after the trip, before he makes plans for next year. If it's a rental for this summer, it's most likely too late to cancel without losing $$.

Normally I would just say 2 kids are sharing the loft, done, but they have all been home full time for the past 14 months and they are kind of over the together time.
OP - I would go back to your original plan of having your oldest DDs sharing the loft bed. I get that it may not be their first choice, but if you tell them it's their only option to be on this vacation with their cousins, then they will probably be willing to suck it up.

If that doesn't work I'd agree with what others have said, talk to your dad and try to find another solution. I'd much rather go for 1 week in a bigger, more comfortable house then spend 2 weeks being miserable.

Wow your kids get options? My parents didn't play that. I'm #2 of 7 kids. We always had a sleeping mate. LOL! And if you didn't like it, make a palette on the floor. Air mattress? What's that? I slept on many floors growing up. My family liked to get together as well. Grown-ups never gave up their beds or their rooms. It would be 15+ cousins all over the house sleeping on palettes. O and we couldn't sleep on the "good" couches. They still had plastic on them. LOL! Good times!

1. Tell your parents these sleeping arrangements no longer work for your family so you will not be attending this year.

2. Tell the 13 yr old to suck it up buttercup. Or she can stay at a friend's for 2 weeks while you're at the beach.

3. Get your own rental for your family. Do you realize you will be in closed quarters with your 5 family members as well as your siblings and their families for 2 WEEKS? No way Jose.

4. Take your family somewhere else for vacation.

5. Spend the 1st week of vacation on a staycation and then go to beach house for 2nd week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter