• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~~ Sew your Disney side Alli-son-son!! ~~ Allison's grad trip Jan 2016 ~~ Complete 2/22

I am here. Wouldn't miss this TR!

Sorry about the nails. That would make me a bit upset. I seriously do not know how you get all of that in a suitcase!

Last edited:
So glad you had a great trip! Can't wait to read the rest of your TR! Hope Allison is feeling better.

I'm here, have to make sure your giving accurate accounts of the trip! Sorry to here about Allison no feeling good :guilty:.

How exciting to follow another of your trips! Love to see the outfits and fun things you are up to.

Day 1 Part 1

My alarm went off at 12:15am, despite it being "Disney Day" - I was so tired, I had a hard time climbing out of bed.

I went downstairs and grabbed my morning cup of coffee, and took my first selfie of the trip... Me - with my coffee cup and my oven clock in the background. As usual - if you can handle this first photo - you can handle the rest of this TR. ::yes::

20160116_002028.jpg

At 12:30am, I woke Allison... We both showered and got ready for the long day ahead of us.

We were ready and out the door at 2:25am... Josh was grumping about us having to leave so early, because there's never a line at the airport at 0'dark-thirty. Hahaha... Yup - there was a long line this morning, out the door, as a matter of fact. I was glad we got there early.

20160116_022911.jpg

We were through security and waiting at our gate by 3:45 - not too bad, considering how busy it was.

We started boarding our flight at 4:30am, and we took off at 5:05am...

20160116_043811.jpg

Our beautiful city area all lit up...

20160116_050920.jpg

20160116_055616.jpg

It was a super quick up & down flight to Chicago O'hare... We were back on the ground at exactly 6am. It always shocks me how quickly this flight goes... Knowing I am only an hour away from Mo.

Even though we were quite far back in the plane, we were completely deplaned by 6:15am...

There was a Starbucks right outside our gate - and boy could we use a Starbucks at that point. ::yes:: So, we did. I had my customary Americano and Allison had a Naked juice - remember, she is still nursing her wisdom teeth.

We found a table in this little food court - trying to figure out what we wanted for breakfast... As much as I didn't want to - we settled on McDonalds - GASP!!!! I have not had McD's in several years. I ordered a sausage mcmuffin and a hashbrown... I was a little concerned with eating this type of food on a flying day - but we had FOUR HOURS to kill between flights - so I decided I could take a chance.

20160116_063425.jpg

As we were sitting there - I noticed that when the chairs slid in and out from under the table - they sounded like Chewbacca... I told Allison - and then we proceeded to have a case of the giggles for quite some time, every time someone slid out a chair - we started laughing... So, if you are ever in O'hare, and sit at the food court between H and K - listen to the chairs and have a giggle on us. :D

We were done eating and bored by 7am... Still 3 hours to kill before we even had to think about boarding...

And then we sat there...

20160116_070851.jpg

And sat there some more...

20160116_071905_HDR.jpg

And more...

1452956339899.jpg

For THREE more :eek: HOURS... Time couldn't go any slower...

20160116_084058.jpg

Finally - finally - it was time to board our flight to Orlando... That is the LAST time I do a 4 hour layover!

20160116_095009.jpg

We landed at Orlando at approximately 2pm... And we were tired! We both tried to sleep on the flight - and I think we dozed a bit, but for the most part, it was difficult and uncomfortable to sleep on a plane.

We took a quick bio-break, then headed on the fake-o-rail to baggage claim to meet our towncar driver, whose name was Saul. Now let me tell you something about Saul... He was an older gentleman... Old enough - that I was concerned about him wrestling my 49# luggage, which he insisted on handling.

After, finally locating our bags, we walked them out to the underground parking, right next to baggage claim... This was soooo NICE! No waiting at all for a bus to be on our way... Simply walking out to our awaiting towncar, hopping in and off we went. Passing several ME buses on the way... I couldn't help being happy with myself because I wasn't a part of the "herd" waiting for ME. It was nice - really, really nice and well worth my $115 r/t fare (plus tip).

20160116_145527.jpg

20160116_1459051.jpg

Before we knew it - we were seeing this...

20160116_152150_HDR.jpg

And this...

20160116_153121.jpg

20160116_153207.jpg

20160116_153224.jpg

20160116_153234.jpg

Ahhh - it was sooo wonderful to be back!! It had been 8 years since we had stayed at SoG, and I'd forgotten what a wonderful resort it was.

So, did we get our room request? Or did SoG tell me that we weren't authorized to stay there?

Link to Day 1 Part 2

D~​

Last edited:
Hi D!
Can't wait to read about all the fun you had on this special one on one trip with Allison! Aren't the one on one trips very special. I miss doing them with my kids (haven't taken them out of school since middle school). I would love to take Emma this summer but I don't know how I could fit it in with our family trip - likely to Canada again this summer - maybe Ontario this year.

I can't believe you put your beautiful bags in your checked bag. I could never take that risk.

Don't you love using a Town Car? I used DME many time without any issues but then I had one trip with a really long wait to get to the resort and then the next trip the bus was late getting us to the airport and I was freaking out so I started using the town car so I could do a grocery stop and just start and end the trip a bit nicer. Now I've discovered how much I love having a rental car.

SOG looks greats. Hope you'll post more photos of the resort.

Last edited:
Following! I love all of your Disney bags so much, super cute! Also, I have a little golden baby named Max too :dog:

Hi there! I love your trip reports and look forward to this one. We went on our first trip with DD4 last year and decided to take a town car from the airport. It was soooo worth it. The drivers were wonderful tour guides and communicated well. We grabbed our luggage and away we went!

I'm here too! I'm still bummed that we had to leave early, but with Shannon coming home on Friday, I didn't want her to have to deal with snow by herself. We would probably still be in Disney otherwise. So since we had to leave early, I am contemplating taking Shannon for a short trip in March. Charlie will be out of town most of the month, and I'm sure I can use a get-away. Plus we could see Andrew who will be in Bradenton for 6 weeks. Oh yeah, and take in a couple of pre-season baseball games.

Sorry Alison is sick. She has really had a run of bad luck.

I'm here. Great start. Wow a 4 hour layover! That's one thing I'd never want. I can't wait to read more.
Liz

Ahghhhh page 2 on the TR ive been waiting for!!! Im suoer excited to read everything!

Its terrible that you had to redo Alison's nails. Ive never had a manicure because i have touch issues but I'd be so irritated if i had to go home and redo what i paid good money for. I hate that you had that negative start to your trip.

As far as the 4 hour layover-- be greatful for small things. My first time through Ohare i was supposed to have a 2 hour layover but my flight coming in was late and i missed my connection and wound up stuck for 12 hours. I was only 18 and alone and my mother freaked out. Ever since i try to get at least 2.5 to 3 hours for layovers. My 8 and 10 year olds hate it but it gives us snack time, potty time, and recharge the electronics time! We drive to Dosney though so i think waiting to get on a plane to Disney might be more annoying that a normal flight to see Grandma.

I cant wait for the rest of your trip report. The last time i went to Universal they were just starting on building the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and we have plans to go next summer so i need all the info thats available!

Last edited:
I'm in and following along! I have been so excited to read this report. In fact, I'm supposed to be totaling costs for our trip in December for my sister and I got distracted and read your TR instead!

such a bummer about Allison's nails. I hate when the nail techs do that. It always seems to happen when you don't have time to go back and get them redone.

I cannot wait to hear about your Universal experience.

Bummer about Allison's nails. I would be pretty mad that I paid for that. Even though it's been over a week, I would still go in and talk to them about either getting your money back or at least getting a free manicure.

So, did we get our room request? Or did SoG tell me that we weren't authorized to stay there?
Ack! Why did you leave a teaser like this. :scared: I always fall for this stuff. ;)

That is one long travel day. It would be hard to sleep knowing we had to wake up at 12:30am. Your limo ride looks really nice. And the weather looks great. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter