• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September/October 2013 check in

Wow jealous of all of you who are away right now! Almost down to 36 days for us :) So reason why I am posting is because I have unfortunately had to pretty much use ALL of my US money for real world emergency (about $2,400) and now I am broke in a matter of words!! Luckily it is only September 16th and I still have 4 more pay days to go so I can still save up around $2000au how ever will this be enough!? Obviously spending patterns are based on the person how ever I am just after a rough guide.. Can you do 2 weeks in the us on $2000?? We don't have dining plan (how I wish we did now!! The $300 extra seems so minimal at this very second) so everything will be OOP how ever I am not one that does breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner or even breakfast, lunch and dinner and most meals seem to be larger than what we do here so could do 2 for 1 and share yes or do they frown upon that?

My travel partner insists she was only going to go with $2000 and that I should just chillax about it as it'll be fine but how can I relax?? I was a mess last night, don't think I got a ounce of sleep just worrying about this.. Please help curb my anxiety and worrying with your wonderful wonderful words of wisdom..has to be someone here who has done a budget trip!?

Also does anyone know how much AA charge for baggage? The site says $25 but another friend is saying they charged her $50..

Wow jealous of all of you who are away right now! Almost down to 36 days for us :) So reason why I am posting is because I have unfortunately had to pretty much use ALL of my US money for real world emergency (about $2,400) and now I am broke in a matter of words!! Luckily it is only September 16th and I still have 4 more pay days to go so I can still save up around $2000au how ever will this be enough!? Obviously spending patterns are based on the person how ever I am just after a rough guide.. Can you do 2 weeks in the us on $2000?? We don't have dining plan (how I wish we did now!! The $300 extra seems so minimal at this very second) so everything will be OOP how ever I am not one that does breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner or even breakfast, lunch and dinner and most meals seem to be larger than what we do here so could do 2 for 1 and share yes or do they frown upon that?

My travel partner insists she was only going to go with $2000 and that I should just chillax about it as it'll be fine but how can I relax?? I was a mess last night, don't think I got a ounce of sleep just worrying about this.. Please help curb my anxiety and worrying with your wonderful wonderful words of wisdom..has to be someone here who has done a budget trip!?

Also does anyone know how much AA charge for baggage? The site says $25 but another friend is saying they charged her $50..

Are your main costs (transport, accommodation, attraction tickets, tours, insurance etc) already prepaid? If so, I think $2000 p/p seems pretty reasonable for 2 weeks.

I have budgeted roughly 5k spending money (food, drink, shopping, tipping, and the occasional taxi), but that is to cover 3 weeks and 3 people (2 adults and 1 child). If we don't get too carried away at the outlet malls, I'm hoping to spend less than this.

If money starts getting tight, you can always save money by avoiding restaurants and eating at counter service places. At least there is no tip needed at these places. You could have a late breakfast and early dinner to cut down to 2 meals per day, and from what I understand you can share meals at Disney.

I am flying AA and I am almost certain it is $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second. Not sure about a third or fourth bag? They could be $50?? Was your friend paying for her bag and someone else's?

...and then there was one.

Caroline, we can now officially say we leave TOMORROW. :)

Can't believe we are so close now ! I have taken today off, so that I can relax, and do some last minute jobs around the place.

Hope you have an amazing trip Wanderlust :goodvibes
I may post from the airport tomorrow as we will have all day there!

Are your main costs (transport, accommodation, attraction tickets, tours, insurance etc) already prepaid? If so, I think $2000 p/p seems pretty reasonable for 2 weeks.

I have budgeted roughly 5k spending money (food, drink, shopping, tipping, and the occasional taxi), but that is to cover 3 weeks and 3 people (2 adults and 1 child). If we don't get too carried away at the outlet malls, I'm hoping to spend less than this.

If money starts getting tight, you can always save money by avoiding restaurants and eating at counter service places. At least there is no tip needed at these places. You could have a late breakfast and early dinner to cut down to 2 meals per day, and from what I understand you can share meals at Disney.

I am flying AA and I am almost certain it is $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second. Not sure about a third or fourth bag? They could be $50?? Was your friend paying for her bag and someone else's?

Yes thankfully everything but our Miami hotel and my travel insurance is paid for, we only have 2 restaurants booked Le Cellier and crystal palace but we're still unsure if we'll do Le Cellier and was just planning to eat at qs any way. My other big concern is I'm on steroids for my kidney and they make you eat and eat and eat, I hope I am able to curb the hunger.. I can at home but then I'm not running around a theme park using energy here.

Well she told me 1 bag but she seems to have a lot of hate for AA (and united) as she said they were both rude to her on her trip to the us in 2010 so not sure if she is telling the truth on that front and wanted to double check thanks. Have a great trip Wonderlust and thank you for answering all my questions! :)

Can't believe we are so close now ! I have taken today off, so that I can relax, and do some last minute jobs around the place.

Hope you have an amazing trip Wanderlust :goodvibes
I may post from the airport tomorrow as we will have all day there!

You have an amazing trip also. :)

We leave today!

Wow, this thread has become very quiet with so many of us away.

At the HRH at present and loving it. Went to Universal Studios yesterday and off to IOA today. I love love love the express pass system you get from staying on site. It was a really quiet day at the studios yesterday, with most queues sitting at 20mins or less. But the express pass meant we could just walk onto rides with no wait, and we could ride Transformers (best ride ever) over and over again even though it had the longest queue time I saw all day (45mins).

The on site transport system is also really good. The longest we've waited for a boat is about 5 mins and it makes it really easy to pop over to the Citywalk for a meal or back to the hotel for a midday swim.

If anyone is like I was 6 months ago - unsure about whether or not to splash out and pay for an onsite hotel - just do it. :)

Glad you are having a great trip Wanderlust!

So jealous of everyone who is already over there. 27 days to go for us!!!

We have just arrived at Hojos (after visiting San Fran and Vegas). Hojos staff are soooooo nice and were joking with me about all my packages that they had been receiving and keeping for me (they said I didn't order the most but was "right up there" LOL). To others who have asked, I did ask them if they were no longer accepting parcels a long time out from actual travel dates, but they said that they are happy to keep them for their guests, still free of charge (though, at the good suggestion of other ANZACS on here, I did give them a few packets of tim tams and caramello koalas as a thank you, which they seemed to appreciate).

San Fran was good, fairly chilly and foggy in the mornings, but quite warm in the afternoons. Alcatraz was great, the walk up the hills to see Lombard St not so great, and certainly not advised (my calves were still complaining several days later!) A special mention to the gold rush sundae I had from ghirardelli - so yummy (and probably very lucky for my hips that I did so much walking in SF to walk off some of the fat I consumed!). We also did a boat cruise under the Golden Gate Bridge which was a fun way to see it.

Las Vegas was hot, hot, hot! But, as usual, I did some wonderful shopping (I am quite pleased with myself as I got some great bargains). DH and our friends enjoyed the NY roller coaster - yesterday they went on it 15 times in a 2 hour period! He is just a kid at heart! Our hotel was beautiful (a jacuzzi and tv in the bathroom!) but a bit too far off the strip for my liking.

Going to Disneyland and Carsland tomorrow -DS is so very excited!

Kristin5, good to hear you are having fun so far! San Fran was foggy when we were there too. I would love to try that Ghiradelli sundae! Where do you recommend shopping in Vegas for the best bargains?

Yay for nice staff at Hojos :-) I agree, a Caramello Koala or 2 go a long way to put a smile on someone's face! Enjoy DL/DCA!

We are 4 nights into our 32 night stay in the US.
Currently in San Diego.

I bought some Ghiradelli chocolate from Vons today and it is yummy.
It is Intense Dark Cabernet Matinee ("dark chocolate infused with a hint of natural blackberry and grape flavour" )

Good to hear everyone away are having a great time - mmm Ghiradelli chocolate-drool. Wanderlust thanks for the thumbs up on US on-site-you've convinced me for our next trip (which all being well will include a first for Universal).

Good to hear everyone away are having a great time - mmm Ghiradelli chocolate-drool. Wanderlust thanks for the thumbs up on US on-site-you've convinced me for our next trip (which all being well will include a first for Universal).

:thumbsup2

Our only issue with staying onsite at Universal is that I'm a bit worried it might have spoilt WDW for us a little bit. In the 2 days we were at Universal, the only time we queued longer than 5mins was for the Forbidden Journey ride. But because we had early entry to the WWOHP, even that queue was relatively short. It was so lovely having the freedom to tour the parks with no real plan, take each ride as it comes, and not worry about crowds. I know WDW will be quite different and I hope we don't long for the relaxed touring style of Universal.

On the Disney Fantasy at present and loving it. Weather has been perfect, and is forecasted to be 'sunny' for our upcoming port stops today and tomorrow. Internet costs are exorbitant though, so I'll sign this off now.

Happy traveling and planning everyone.

On the Disney Fantasy at present and loving it. Weather has been perfect, and is forecasted to be 'sunny' for our upcoming port stops today and tomorrow. Internet costs are exorbitant though, so I'll sign this off now.

Hope you're having a wonderful time on the Fantasy!! We're sailing for the first time on the Disney Dream next month and can't wait!!

I hope you're all having a wonderful time! We're home now :( Back at work even.

We had a fabulous time - it exceeded my expectations actually. DS3 (2yo) was TOTALLY into the magic and his face was full of joy for the majority of the time in Disneyland. Now, it's time to start thinking about 2015/16!!!

Just arrived at DLH. FIrst day in the park is today. Just about to head to DCA.

Kids are super exited. It really was a surprise for them! They were thrilled when we pulled up into Disney drive!

There is a serious invasion of Aussies here! Nearly Everyone who I pass and hear talking has an Aussie accent :)

Just arrived at DLH. FIrst day in the park is today. Just about to head to DCA.

Kids are super exited. It really was a surprise for them! They were thrilled when we pulled up into Disney drive!

There is a serious invasion of Aussies here! Nearly Everyone who I pass and hear talking has an Aussie accent :)

Hope you have a Magical trip!! :tink:

There seems to be so many Australians over in the states at the moment, few of my friends just came back from a trip and they said the same thing. it's an Australian invasion :)

This time next month we will be sitting on a plane over the great big ocean!!! :hourglass

Our only issue with staying onsite at Universal is that I'm a bit worried it might have spoilt WDW for us a little bit. In the 2 days we were at Universal, the only time we queued longer than 5mins was for the Forbidden Journey ride. But because we had early entry to the WWOHP, even that queue was relatively short. It was so lovely having the freedom to tour the parks with no real plan, take each ride as it comes, and not worry about crowds. I know WDW will be quite different and I hope we don't long for the relaxed touring style of Universal.

yep the universal front of line thing made staying on site worth it. straight to front of line never had to wait was awesome. I loved walking to front of transformers and despicable me as many times as we wanted.

got early entry wwohp - rode it twice no lines. universal is just the right size where they can still do this. Simpsons land was cool too as a massive fan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter