September 2015 Car Rental Watch

Nice! Keep in mind that the coupon code is (I think) a Visa code...if that's the case, you'll probably have to pay with a Visa.
Thanks for the Visa code. Got my rate down to $95 today for standard car 9/4-9/9!
Down another $20 today. Booked a standard (so really a full sized) from Alamo for 8 days for $138 and change total. Using codes AD2338FDF ($30 off coupon) and 7014627 (Costco). My dates are 8/29-9/6.
Thanks for the Visa code. Got my rate down today to $95 for a standard car from 9/5-9/9! :thanks::yay:

Can anyone tell me how much of a hold they (Alamo) will put on my Visa? I am thinking of just getting a separate card for this rental so it won't tie up my main card.

Can anyone tell me how much of a hold they (Alamo) will put on my Visa? I am thinking of just getting a separate card for this rental so it won't tie up my main card.
Unless you choose to pre-pay you won't need to put anything down. You just pay with a visa when you pick up the car. :)

Unless you choose to pre-pay you won't need to put anything down. You just pay with a visa when you pick up the car. :)

Oh really? Nice! I know some companies put an extra $200 hold, above the price of your reservation, on your card. I just don't want to have my spending money tied up, lol!

Down another $20 today. Booked a standard (so really a full sized) from Alamo for 8 days for $138 and change total. Using codes AD2338FDF ($30 off coupon) and 7014627 (Costco). My dates are 8/29-9/6.

Sweet!!! Down to $169 (using same codes -so happy to ehar about standard = full size at MCO Alamo) from 08/28 - 09/07. 10 nights for $169 is an awesome deal, IMO!!!

I think there is some confusion here. You can reserve a car without a credit card number. However, when you rent the car and present your credit card, there WILL be a "hold" put on the card that is above and beyond the actual cost of the rental. That hold is removed within "XXX days" after the return of the rental.

It is actually a fair chunk of change, IIRC, but no, I don't know the exact amount or how long it hangs around. Easiest way to find out would to be call Alamo, or poke around on Google....but they will put a hold "above and beyond," well, unless they have changed policies. I have not rented from Alamo for several years, but almost all the companies do that "hold."

I think there is some confusion here. You can reserve a car without a credit card number. However, when you rent the car and present your credit card, there WILL be a "hold" put on the card that is above and beyond the actual cost of the rental. That hold is removed within "XXX days" after the return of the rental.

It is actually a fair chunk of change, IIRC, but no, I don't know the exact amount or how long it hangs around. Easiest way to find out would to be call Alamo, or poke around on Google....but they will put a hold "above and beyond," well, unless they have changed policies. I have not rented from Alamo for several years, but almost all the companies do that "hold."
I rented from Alamo 2 months ago and the only thing that was charged to my card was the original reservation amount. No extra holds.

*******I rented from Alamo 2 months ago and the only thing that was charged to my card was the original reservation amount. No extra holds.*****

People, you probably do not understand what I am talking about. The hold is detailed in the fine print of the multi-page contract you sign and agree to, but you are usually never "told about it."

And, it does not appear on your credit card bill. It is just that, a hold. If there are no issues during your rental, it is eventually dropped and you never know about it.

I just did a quick google, because I don't want to waste my time, but, you folks who swear you never had it are probably wrong. The following explanation is probably not the best one, but it is the one that popped up when I did my very quick google. According to this link (which again, I do not vouch for), the extra charge on top of the actual rental cost is around $200-$300.

http://www.best-car-rental-tips.com/hold-on-a-credit-card.html

Down another few dollars to $137 and some change for standard with Alamo...........keep going!!!!!!!

*******I rented from Alamo 2 months ago and the only thing that was charged to my card was the original reservation amount. No extra holds.*****

People, you probably do not understand what I am talking about. The hold is detailed in the fine print of the multi-page contract you sign and agree to, but you are usually never "told about it."

And, it does not appear on your credit card bill. It is just that, a hold. If there are no issues during your rental, it is eventually dropped and you never know about it.

I just did a quick google, because I don't want to waste my time, but, you folks who swear you never had it are probably wrong. The following explanation is probably not the best one, but it is the one that popped up when I did my very quick google. According to this link (which again, I do not vouch for), the extra charge on top of the actual rental cost is around $200-$300.

Thanks for the explanation but I do know what a hold is. If you scroll down to the comments you will see the same thing said here. Alamo does not hold anything extra on a credit card. I know for a fact because I've rented several times with just enough available credit for the charge.

I do know what a hold is thanks. I am 100% positive they did not put one on my card.

ETA: Do a quick Google search and you will see this question asked on numerous forums with the same answer... Alamo does not do a an additional credit card hold.

Last edited:
I do know what a hold is thanks. I am 100% positive they did not put one on my card.

ETA: Do a quick Google search and you will see this question asked on numerous forums with the same answer... Alamo does not do a an additional credit card hold.

As I say, most car rental firms do take a hold...

Alamo, you say no. Me, I say, who cares, not important to me. But, if it is important to someone, just to be safe, I would check with Alamo directly and not count on forum posts that claim to speak for Alamo. Things change, policies change. And, believe it or not, car rental policies for the same chain can be different from city to city -- or may differ on airport and off airport.

Hertz just dropped another $11 and something ... bringing my five-day full-size down to $88 (NOT including tax, license, etc, which, when added in, puts it around $120). Some reason, it always seems I get the best rates around 10 p.m. to midnight on Tuesday nights (Pacific Time).

Mystifying. All the other companies are staying very high. Next closest is $140-something, not including taxes, etal....

Sorry all, I have another question! The reservation is in my name, but my husband will be doing all the driving. Do I have to change it to him? And I booked with the AP holder discount, but I am the only one that has an AP, he doesn't. Can I still use that discount if he is the only one driving? I don't want to pay the $10 a day to add a second driver. Any thoughts?

ETA: I haven't rented a car in over 10 years and then it was just the once. So just consider me a newbie for rentals. :) TIA

Sweet!!! Down to $169 (using same codes -so happy to ehar about standard = full size at MCO Alamo) from 08/28 - 09/07. 10 nights for $169 is an awesome deal, IMO!!!
Yep, you have 2 more days than me so you have a good deal. But don't stop checking, a few years ago the day before my trip I got it for $9/day, probably won't see that again, but its worth it to keep checking.

I use a debit card and Alamo will sometimes put a hold for the rental amount on that, but once I return the car they change it to a sale and the hold goes away. They don't always do this, but I am always prepared for it.

Last edited:
Sorry all, I have another question! The reservation is in my name, but my husband will be doing all the driving. Do I have to change it to him? And I booked with the AP holder discount, but I am the only one that has an AP, he doesn't. Can I still use that discount if he is the only one driving? I don't want to pay the $10 a day to add a second driver. Any thoughts?

ETA: I haven't rented a car in over 10 years and then it was just the once. So just consider me a newbie for rentals. :) TIA

Some companies, like Alamo, will allow you to have an 2nd driver at no charge, but personally I think it would be easier just to book it under your husbands name. As for using the AP holder discount, I have seen numerous people report that the car rental people seldom, if ever, ask to see it, but again, I think it would just be easier and save potential trouble to try out some of the other codes you see in this thread. Good Luck!

I just usually have DH drive and then present his license and the check booth. They have never given us a problem. I am going to call and check before our next reservation to be safe. I don't want to create a whole new insider account just for DH. It was so much better when they just gave you the free additional driver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter