September 2015 Car Rental Watch

serenitygr

2021: trip number six to the Fort!!
I don't see a thread yet for September- maybe it's too soon, but I was just looking at rental rates for our arrive 9/29 for 2 weeks, and I am HORRIFIED There are 6 of us, so we need a minivan, and I REALLY don't want to pay almost 1000!!! So I started this thread both in hopes of help and encouragement that things will get better. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: For what it's worth, we are Alamo Insiders, but don't really belong to anything else that gets us discounts, unless either Country Inn's membership club or Delta's points will help LOL LOL

I don't see a thread yet for September- maybe it's too soon, but I was just looking at rental rates for our arrive 9/29 for 2 weeks, and I am HORRIFIED There are 6 of us, so we need a minivan, and I REALLY don't want to pay almost 1000!!! So I started this thread both in hopes of help and encouragement that things will get better. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: For what it's worth, we are Alamo Insiders, but don't really belong to anything else that gets us discounts, unless either Country Inn's membership club or Delta's points will help LOL LOL
I was looking for a thread like this earlier and couldn't find one. We are looking 9/19-9/26 and I was finding minivans for $700-$900. The best I found was Dollar for $600. Somebody please tell me there are better options. I'm looking to rent from WDW or nearby and then return it to MCO.

Last September I booked a standard car through Alamo and being an Alamo Insider got to pick off the full size row. Well, there were three minivans there so we ended up with a minivan for 8 days for $145 including all taxes. :cool1:

To get this rate, I did keep checking back and I think had about six reservations along the way that I kept canceling. That final rate was secured about two weeks out from my travel dates. Good luck!

I'm hoping for a Enterprise code for September. We only have Enterprise in our town, so unless I want to drive over 1 hour the wrong direction to pick up a car, I am stuck with Enterprise. We are driving from Arkansas to WDW Sept 17-23.

Joining in. We need a rental from 9/18-9/28. I booked a midsize SUV from Alamo for $340. I am sure it will go lower. We are going to Fort Lauderdale for a few days before Disney. Picking up the car in Fort Lauderdale and returning it to MCO was around $700 for the same dates. Crazy!!

How do I find the AP holder discount for Alamo? Just want to check and see if it would be worthwhile to drive an hour to pick up the car.

Go into the passholder section and they give you a link, if I remember correctly... or at least the Alamo code to input when you check. I didn't find the AP discount to be any better than the Alamo Insider's discount.

Yeah, the rates are pretty bad, but its way early.

For my dates (Sep 22-27), I'm seeing a weekly base rate at Dollar for $178 for a midsize SUV. Not bad for an SUV, but I don't need one...that just happens to be the lowest rate.

I would think for September we should see some good rates, but they likely won't pop up until at least mid-August for those leaving early September and early to mid September for those later in the month. But it never hurts to reserve something...just in case.

We have a midsize booked thru Alamo for Sept. 21 -the 28 for $274. Im really hoping for something better, going to try weekly.

I almost nabbed a mid-SUV from Alamo for $280 for 10 days... and then I waited and it went up by $60. Oh well... I'll continue to check. I hope they drop soon. I'm getting impatient!

I almost nabbed a mid-SUV from Alamo for $280 for 10 days... and then I waited and it went up by $60. Oh well... I'll continue to check. I hope they drop soon. I'm getting impatient!

You should book something, just so you have it. Although not great, the $340 for 10 days for a mid-SUV isn't horrible. But try not to be impatient, September is still 5 months off and the best rates generally show up in the last month. But, especially since you're looking at a non-standard car class, you should have something to hold onto in case the rates don't behave like they usually do. Just don't prepay!

richmo, do you have a recommendation of one rental company vs another? I need a minivan. I guess I could do an SUV. 2 adults and 2 kids and 4 suitcases

I prefer the agencies I mentioned above... Actually, I usually just look at Alamo, Dollar and Budget, in that order. For my time period (Sep 22-27), Dollar had a decent City Special for midsize SUV's...it was even less expensive than small cars.

I just booked a Mid-Size SUV through Alamo (insider) for $287.17. Dates are 9/25-10-3. I'll continue to check weekly.

We are actually renting a car to drive to WDW, so we are stuck with Enterprise, as it is all we have here in Hicksville, lol. And we need at least an intermediate, as we are picking up my daughter and fiancé at the airport when we arrive and driving them around all week. Since I am driving out of the adjacent states, I don't get unlimited mileage, so right now it is around $400 for 10 days with the rental and mileage. Just hope we don't drive more than 2100 miles (we will get 2000 miles free). But it's only .25 a mile if we go over, so not horrible. It was actually cheaper to rent for extra days we don't need to get those 200 miles a day ($38 a day) than it was to pay for the extra miles ($287 base +$175 mileage = $462).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter