*Sept 10th 2011 WB Transatlantic* - From Spain to Space Mountain - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH and I have schlepped bags for almost 30 years on business with all the gear so this is not a new experience for us. We once did 6 weeks, 8 countries with 5 bags, eight boxes of materials etc. We didn't fly but took trains, ferries etc. from country to country. Of course, we were younger and more fit!!

Noel.......:worship: I'll be picking your brain so I can find our your secrets/advice. DH knows me too well and my physical abilities SO he is just being prepared for what he can handle. I'm thinking I need magical luggage:laughing:

Noel.......:worship: I'll be picking your brain so I can find our your secrets/advice. DH knows me too well and my physical abilities SO he is just being prepared for what he can handle. I'm thinking I need magical luggage:laughing:

What I suggest is make a list day by day as to what you are going to wear. You can make do with one weeks worth of clothes if you wash and repeat the wardrobe. You can PM me privately if you need specific advice.

One more thing: When I signed up for these I was only vaguely aware of how they worked, and my mom had no idea so she didn't want to commit to anything. So when I listed our cabin I didn't include her. But just so she doesn't feel left out, if anyone from our group(s) has any extra candy or FEs that they want to include her (Phyllis, just turned 78 last week) it would be appreciated (but not expected at this late date). I ordered extra FEs for her, so she won't be completely shut out. ;)

Don't worry - she'll be covered;) Does Mom have a name and room number?

I am! I have no specific plans for any of the ports. Have some things I'd like to do, but no set schedule or anything. I actually had port adventures scheduled for several of the ports and then cancelled them when I decided to wing it.

Of course, I don't plan to pack until the morning I leave (depart my house around noon), so I'm obviously a little "different." :rotfl:

Boy! You ain't jus whistling Dixie on that one, Babe!

No plans here for Gibraltar, Madiera nor St. Maarten. Soggy Dollar in Tortola.

Unbelievably, my MIL loves to sneak up behind me and feel my waist with her hands to see how much weight I've gained or lost. Wait till she sees me after Barcelona's offerings, 2 weeks of Disney dinners, and lots of FAB's! Her expression will be priceless! :rotfl2:

OMG, I WOULD kill her! :headache:

did you guys just climb over the railings and stowaway on the ship then? as far as i know the door into the ship is on the starboard side, meaning as you enter, lumiere's is on your left?!
:rotfl2: You are absolutely correct. Can't IMagine how you would get on any other way . . . although when we docked after the gangway came down in the microburst, we did exit through the freight door on deck 1.

was just reading last year's awesome DIS navigator and came across an interesting idea - emergency medicine supplies.
would anyone be interested in packing a few spare things in case anyone needs some extra meds? i've always got tons of paracetamol (acetaminophen) with me so i'll always have extra incase anyone needs any. let me know if anyone else is interested in doing this.

I always have a little something for almost anything- including tools - except I'm an old lady so there are certain unmentionables I no longer carry.:rolleyes1

Is anyone else "winging it" in the ports? I don't have any plans yet for St Marten, Tortola, Gibraltar or Castaway Cay. No excursions booked - haven't really researched St Marten or Tortola. I've been to Gibraltar 3 times so not sure what I'll do there. Maybe cross the border and go to Spain? Can we do that? :confused3 I'm planning to pack my snorkel and mask though as i'm sure i'll wind up doing something beachy in the caribbean. :goodvibes
I'm just excited to get a break from all the day to day family responsibilities and just vegging for 2+ weeks! :cloud9:

Hi Guys :cool1:

I am planning a scuba dive in Tortola and my DW, DD and DMIL will be "winging it" while I am away. I'm sure they would be happy ( and maybe a bit relieved) to join up with some folks to spend a while shopping etc.

Noel, please use our room number on the navigator as you seem fit. Once again many thanks for your efforts. If the doc is ready before most people leave for the cruise I'm sure the expectation would have been for each of us to print our own copy :thumbsup2

This is my first FE so I would ask in advance that no one makes fun of my efforts - I WAS going to say my DD made it but .............:rotfl2:

Anyway won't be long now so best wishes to everyone's plans & preparations

:faint:
I finally did it! I packed and fit everything into a carry-on that meets the ungodly weights and measures of RyanAir. :sad2: I am at 21 lbs total including my handbag. :woohoo: Still probably over packed lol. Have an outfit for every night even though I packed Purex to do a small load. :confused3 oh well. What a weight off my shoulders though! Got my little Croc flat iron today and it is amazing. Only weighs 8 ozs and is dual voltage. :lovestruc

Thought I'd mention that last year I got my hair washed, styled and flat ironed before I got on the boat in Barcelona. It was 25 euros (it's like 80 euros on the boat) and it lasted 6 days. Her name was Fanni and she did a great job. I don't know if she is still there but the other stylists looked good too. The place was called Kinki and it was right off Las Ramblas on Pintor Fortuny 14. It's a block down the street from Le Meridien Hotel and across the street from Silken Ramblas Hotel. Kinki.es I think this may be the phone number +34 933 023 379 but I'm not real sure. Just thought I'd pass it on to all you Curly haired sisters out there. ;)

Josh, I'm sure you wouldn't say that if you'd tasted Oregon grown strawberries. Or is that just a 'everything tastes better in Paris' statement?

Thanks for the pics Liz, it gets me real excited to visit there.

I was thinking the same about Florida strawberries - we get them from Plant City and they are delicious. But if I just got them from the grocery store I wouldn't think too much of strawberries - fresh picked is always best!:thumbsup2

Wow you didn't need this extra hassle at the last moment, so sorry.

The only downside to this cruise is that we must leave our special needs son with the in-laws. They will take exemplary care of him, but their snide comments and wholly depressing conversations will take their toll on our son. Why is it that some people can only speak of illness, death, destruction, and despair? I could understand if they were facing a crisis but it's been this way for decades and decades. At least I'm learning how NOT to be when I become an in-law. :scared1:

Unbelievably, my MIL loves to sneak up behind me and feel my waist with her hands to see how much weight I've gained or lost. Wait till she sees me after Barcelona's offerings, 2 weeks of Disney dinners, and lots of FAB's! Her expression will be priceless! :rotfl2:

That makes me sad. I am a positive thinker too & don't understand why people would want to dwell on negative things - I guess they just have a different philosophy about life!

Is anyone else "winging it" in the ports? I don't have any plans yet for St Marten, Tortola, Gibraltar or Castaway Cay. No excursions booked - haven't really researched St Marten or Tortola. I've been to Gibraltar 3 times so not sure what I'll do there. Maybe cross the border and go to Spain? Can we do that? :confused3 I'm planning to pack my snorkel and mask though as i'm sure i'll wind up doing something beachy in the caribbean. :goodvibes
I'm just excited to get a break from all the day to day family responsibilities and just vegging for 2+ weeks! :cloud9:

We are doing Cane Garden Bay Beach in Tortola, Orient Beach in St. Maarten and just taking the funicular up to the rock in Gibraltar, so I guess we are "winging it" those days.....but we've been to all of these ports before so nothing is new & we kinda know what we want to do there.

What I suggest is make a list day by day as to what you are going to wear. You can make do with one weeks worth of clothes if you wash and repeat the wardrobe. You can PM me privately if you need specific advice.

I do the exact same thing Noel. I make an Excel spreadsheet w/ each day listed & then I write in my outfits as I pack them - making sure that each item is worn at least twice.

:faint:
I finally did it! I packed and fit everything into a carry-on that meets the ungodly weights and measures of RyanAir. :sad2: I am at 21 lbs total including my handbag. :woohoo: Still probably over packed lol. Have an outfit for every night even though I packed Purex to do a small load. :confused3 oh well. What a weight off my shoulders though! Got my little Croc flat iron today and it is amazing. Only weighs 8 ozs and is dual voltage. :lovestruc

Lucky girl!! Our Air Berlin leg only allows us one carry on at 17 pounds including a computer. Have to shove purse inside.

Thought I'd mention that last year I got my hair washed, styled and flat ironed before I got on the boat in Barcelona. It was 25 euros (it's like 80 euros on the boat) and it lasted 6 days. Her name was Fanni and she did a great job. I don't know if she is still there but the other stylists looked good too. The place was called Kinki and it was right off Las Ramblas on Pintor Fortuny 14. It's a block down the street from Le Meridien Hotel and across the street from Silken Ramblas Hotel. Kinki.es I think this may be the phone number +34 933 023 379 but I'm not real sure. Just thought I'd pass it on to all you Curly haired sisters out there. ;)

My curly hair is why I do a Brazilan blowout. This way I can go swimming and not worry about my hair. It lasts me 4 months. you do have to use special products but I find them fairly inexpensive at my local Beauty Supply.

I'm diving in Tortola but other than that.. I am winging it...

did you guys just climb over the railings and stowaway on the ship then? as far as i know the door into the ship is on the starboard side, meaning as you enter, lumiere's is on your left?!

:rotfl2::rotfl2: That's what I was wondering! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Okay, I didn't get my FEs done before like I planned but I want to get them all labeled and ready to go in the next day or 2. Couple things about the FEs and Candy Swap:

Candy Swap

I am one of those giving to everyone on the Candy Swap and when I first saw the 4 groups I was a little freaked out. I promptly ordered a 160 piece box of my favorite candy off Amazon (sorry everyone who likes chocolate, I didn't order anything chocolate because I was afraid it wouldn't travel well!).

Now I just looked closely at the list, and since we don't give to the same people more than 1x, I think there are 20 cabins participating and 40 adults and 9 kids? Am I doing something wrong? Just want to make sure. That actually works out okay because the candy is small so a couple pieces for everyone is appropriate.

For the Candy Swap I do not have cabin info for the following people, so PM if you have your cabin already (or when you get it):

3CanadiansLoveDisney
Jessica's mom
Pinkpug
Myself :sad1:
kthomas618
heatherlovesmickey

Fish Extenders

On my group (Madeira) I don't have cabin numbers for the following people, so again, please PM me if/when you get it:

JessicasMom
PinkPug
Dgentrysim
Myself again!
Giraffe104

One more thing: When I signed up for these I was only vaguely aware of how they worked, and my mom had no idea so she didn't want to commit to anything. So when I listed our cabin I didn't include her. But just so she doesn't feel left out, if anyone from our group(s) has any extra candy or FEs that they want to include her (Phyllis, just turned 78 last week) it would be appreciated (but not expected at this late date). I ordered extra FEs for her, so she won't be completely shut out. ;)

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is your Mom included in your stateroom people count? (2A, 2C) If so, I've already included her in the total count!
2. My count for the Candy swap is 18 staterooms, 36 adults, 9 kids, 1 infant.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm getting ready to refresh the list and start again prior to getting my exchange ready.

My head is spinning. :faint:

I CANNOT print 100+ copies to bring along. I may print a few copies but not one for everyone. If we were only going to Florida, I wouldn't mind printing but the weight to Barcelona is just too expensive to bring that many copies.

What?? You don't want to lug a ream of paper with you?? ;)

I thought the same thing when it came to the FE lists. I know Claire volunteered to bring some extras, bless her. My solution would have been to hand a spare USB with the files to Guest Services and send people there to request a copy. (Reliving my teaching days: I used to send my middle schoolers to the office when they lost their homework/assignment/whatever, where they would have to apologize to the secretary for interrupting her and respectfully request a new copy of the work. The secretary was a very tall, imposing woman who didn't suffer fools lightly. They quickly learned to not lose their work.)

Maybe we could have a google document where everyone goes in and types in their own room # next to their DIS Name? - that way you wouldn't have to beg or search for the info. People could post it if they wanted & if not, we'd just delete them from that list.

I could do that. I've got a list set up in Excel, with all the DISnames I could glean from various places, and cabin numbers where available. It's pretty current, as the FE participants have been keeping me posted on room changes.

The only thing about giving everyone editing privileges is they have to be careful not to accidentally edit or delete any one else's info. I'll keep up with this on my Excel list, too, just in case.

Noel, would you be able to download that for the Navigator, and would that be helpful to you? I think it would be a bad idea to try to keep two different lists (yours and a google list) - too confusing for everyone. If you'd like to see what I've got - maybe to cross-check what you have - let me know and I'll email it to you.

OK, that would make me crazy, too :headache:. Seems like many of us could be starring players (with PFlamingo, of course) on a reality show. Keeping up with the Dissers, anyone?

Desperate DIS Cruisers.

Wow you didn't need this extra hassle at the last moment, so sorry.

The only downside to this cruise is that we must leave our special needs son with the in-laws. They will take exemplary care of him, but their snide comments and wholly depressing conversations will take their toll on our son. Why is it that some people can only speak of illness, death, destruction, and despair? I could understand if they were facing a crisis but it's been this way for decades and decades. At least I'm learning how NOT to be when I become an in-law. :scared1:

We're not even telling my MIL that we're going on the cruise. Can't recall if I've ever told the sad tale of MIL and BIL here. I know I've told it on Passporter. Short version: Both of them are nuts, and not in a good way. BIL offered to take in MIL when FIL passed away, b/c she couldn't do anything for herself. Mind you, she's not infirm or incapacitated in any way; FIL just took care of everything so she never learned how to do anything. Dennis and I thought she should move in to a retirement community, where she'd meet some people and learn to take care of things herself. Well, she doesn't want to meet people or take care things herself! I can't even begin to understand this, as my parents - especially my mom - are the exact opposite.

Anyway, now BIL complains b/c he's "stuck" with MIL and can't do anything. News flash - he never did anything before she moved in with him, either. Martyr.

If they knew we were taking this cruise, all we'd here is, "you can go on a two week cruise but you can't come to see us." Hmm, let's see, two week cruise filled with fun, food, adventure, interesting people, FABs and RABs... or driving 14 hours to sit and watch reruns of "Two and a Half Men" and eat chicken soup without any chicken. (I'm not kidding. She takes the chicken out of the soup after making it.) Gee, it's so hard to decide. :rolleyes:

My folks are letting us crash at their house the night before we leave, letting us leave the car there (where my dad and brother will likely give it a tune-up), taking us to the airport, picking us up at PC afterwards, and wishing us a wonderful time. Anyone still wondering why we would rather visit my family?

We're going to tell his other brother (the only mildly annoying one) about the trip - after we swear him to secrecy, and right before we board the plane to Barca.

Okay, I didn't get my FEs done before like I planned but I want to get them all labeled and ready to go in the next day or 2. Couple things about the FEs and Candy Swap:

Candy Swap: I counted 20 cabins, 40 adults, and 10 children

Cabin numbers for FE: I'll be updating the Google doc as the GTY cabins are assigned - assuming everyone lets me know when they get theirs. (Though I think I'll hear the screams of joy and relief.) There is some overlap w/ the candy swap, so that should help there, too.

Including mom in FE and Candy Swap: No problem. I'm making some extra FE's anyway (can't. stop. crocheting.) and I've got extra candy, too.

Hi! Charlie and I are winging it, too. the only thing we tried to book - tortula ship and land wouldn't take our reservation so we'll just wait and see.

winging it here too :)
nothing in gibraltar except morrisons
hop on hop off bus in madiera

actually not totally winging it i guess....
scuba diving in tortola
horse riding in st maarten

That's basically what we are doing, except in Tortolla - catamaran/snorkling. It'll be here before we know it!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

My curly hair is why I do a Brazilan blowout. This way I can go swimming and not worry about my hair. It lasts me 4 months. you do have to use special products but I find them fairly inexpensive at my local Beauty Supply.

I do the same thing! I've had mine since February but it now needs to be flat ironed to finish it off. I have an appt for Sept 2nd to freshen it up. It's been kinda nice just having it a bit wavy the last few weeks. My hair is very curly, coarse and thick so getting it straight without the brazilian is definitely for professionals only :lmao: It sure is easier on vacation when it is straight. Anyway for those of you who like your curly hair in everyday life but want a treat for the cruise, check out that salon. :)

I thought the same thing when it came to the FE lists. I know Claire volunteered to bring some extras, bless her. My solution would have been to hand a spare USB with the files to Guest Services and send people there to request a copy. (Reliving my teaching days: I used to send my middle schoolers to the office when they lost their homework/assignment/whatever, where they would have to apologize to the secretary for interrupting her and respectfully request a new copy of the work. The secretary was a very tall, imposing woman who didn't suffer fools lightly. They quickly learned to not lose their work.)

I could do flash drives if people do bring their computers as they are very cheap.

I could do that. I've got a list set up in Excel, with all the DISnames I could glean from various places, and cabin numbers where available. It's pretty current, as the FE participants have been keeping me posted on room changes.

The only thing about giving everyone editing privileges is they have to be careful not to accidentally edit or delete any one else's info. I'll keep up with this on my Excel list, too, just in case.

Noel, would you be able to download that for the Navigator, and would that be helpful to you? I think it would be a bad idea to try to keep two different lists (yours and a google list) - too confusing for everyone. If you'd like to see what I've got - maybe to cross-check what you have - let me know and I'll email it to you.

I would love it you would send it to me at nbirkner@yahoo.com and I will cross check and return a copy to you with a different file name.

We're not even telling my MIL that we're going on the cruise. Can't recall if I've ever told the sad tale of MIL and BIL here. I know I've told it on Passporter. Short version: Both of them are nuts, and not in a good way. BIL offered to take in MIL when FIL passed away, b/c she couldn't do anything for herself. Mind you, she's not infirm or incapacitated in any way; FIL just took care of everything so she never learned how to do anything. Dennis and I thought she should move in to a retirement community, where she'd meet some people and learn to take care of things herself. Well, she doesn't want to meet people or take care things herself! I can't even begin to understand this, as my parents - especially my mom - are the exact opposite.

Anyway, now BIL complains b/c he's "stuck" with MIL and can't do anything. News flash - he never did anything before she moved in with him, either. Martyr.

If they knew we were taking this cruise, all we'd here is, "you can go on a two week cruise but you can't come to see us." Hmm, let's see, two week cruise filled with fun, food, adventure, interesting people, FABs and RABs... or driving 14 hours to sit and watch reruns of "Two and a Half Men" and eat chicken soup without any chicken. (I'm not kidding. She takes the chicken out of the soup after making it.) Gee, it's so hard to decide. :rolleyes:

My folks are letting us crash at their house the night before we leave, letting us leave the car there (where my dad and brother will likely give it a tune-up), taking us to the airport, picking us up at PC afterwards, and wishing us a wonderful time. Anyone still wondering why we would rather visit my family?

We're going to tell his other brother (the only mildly annoying one) about the trip - after we swear him to secrecy, and right before we board the plane to Barca.

My mother was not quite that bad about meals but close. She would divide up the food and serve it even if we had company. She also did not like mustard, mayonnaise or ketchup so we never had it in the house.

I decided at a very young age to serve food buffet style and yes, the aforementioned condiments are available in my house!!

I had the ship and land and cancelled it last week (swapped to island drive and beach break) so maybe if it was full you could try again now...

Hi! Charlie and I are winging it, too. the only thing we tried to book - tortula ship and land wouldn't take our reservation so we'll just wait and see.

I do the same thing! I've had mine since February but it now needs to be flat ironed to finish it off. I have an appt for Sept 2nd to freshen it up. It's been kinda nice just having it a bit wavy the last few weeks. My hair is very curly, coarse and thick so getting it straight without the brazilian is definitely for professionals only :lmao: It sure is easier on vacation when it is straight. Anyway for those of you who like your curly hair in everyday life but want a treat for the cruise, check out that salon. :)

If I never have curly hair again, it will be to soon as my hair is also very curly, coarse and thick!!

LMAO-1.gif

I'm not too sure about something, lots of people seem to be posting that they don't mind their names and cabin number being posted and I have no idea what they're talking about :confused3.

Whatever it is I'm in though :thumbsup2.

Can someone please explain it to me, I've skimmed through the pages but obviously missed it.
THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter