*Sept 10th 2011 WB Transatlantic* - From Spain to Space Mountain - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noel, Have we told you lately ? YOU ARE BRILLIANT, Woman!:cheer2:

Thank you for your kind words!!
blush.gif

PHONE TREE.... I like the idea of a phone tree, but........let's have a back-up for it too, like the white board. Not saying everyone does this, but we didn't always stay on top of the phone checking.... In fact, we got so tired of DVC calls on the ebta that we stopped checking messages completely about half way through & put a paper over the blinking red light!! :rotfl2:

Just a suggestion on the phone tree and the white board can work as a backup.

Family dynamics are always tough that's for sure. Especially since SIL has been living with us for 6 years.

Wow you didn't need this extra hassle at the last moment, so sorry.

The only downside to this cruise is that we must leave our special needs son with the in-laws. They will take exemplary care of him, but their snide comments and wholly depressing conversations will take their toll on our son. Why is it that some people can only speak of illness, death, destruction, and despair? I could understand if they were facing a crisis but it's been this way for decades and decades. At least I'm learning how NOT to be when I become an in-law. :scared1:

Unbelievably, my MIL loves to sneak up behind me and feel my waist with her hands to see how much weight I've gained or lost. Wait till she sees me after Barcelona's offerings, 2 weeks of Disney dinners, and lots of FAB's! Her expression will be priceless! :rotfl2:

Is anyone else "winging it" in the ports? I don't have any plans yet for St Marten, Tortola, Gibraltar or Castaway Cay. No excursions booked - haven't really researched St Marten or Tortola. I've been to Gibraltar 3 times so not sure what I'll do there. Maybe cross the border and go to Spain? Can we do that? :confused3 I'm planning to pack my snorkel and mask though as i'm sure i'll wind up doing something beachy in the caribbean. :goodvibes
I'm just excited to get a break from all the day to day family responsibilities and just vegging for 2+ weeks! :cloud9:

Do we board the ship differently in Barca ... I've always entered where Lumiere's is on my right :confused3

did you guys just climb over the railings and stowaway on the ship then? as far as i know the door into the ship is on the starboard side, meaning as you enter, lumiere's is on your left?!

Okay, I didn't get my FEs done before like I planned but I want to get them all labeled and ready to go in the next day or 2. Couple things about the FEs and Candy Swap:

Candy Swap

I am one of those giving to everyone on the Candy Swap and when I first saw the 4 groups I was a little freaked out. I promptly ordered a 160 piece box of my favorite candy off Amazon (sorry everyone who likes chocolate, I didn't order anything chocolate because I was afraid it wouldn't travel well!).

Now I just looked closely at the list, and since we don't give to the same people more than 1x, I think there are 20 cabins participating and 40 adults and 9 kids? Am I doing something wrong? Just want to make sure. That actually works out okay because the candy is small so a couple pieces for everyone is appropriate.

For the Candy Swap I do not have cabin info for the following people, so PM if you have your cabin already (or when you get it):

3CanadiansLoveDisney
Jessica's mom
Pinkpug
Myself :sad1:
kthomas618
heatherlovesmickey

Fish Extenders

On my group (Madeira) I don't have cabin numbers for the following people, so again, please PM me if/when you get it:

JessicasMom
PinkPug
Dgentrysim
Myself again!
Giraffe104

One more thing: When I signed up for these I was only vaguely aware of how they worked, and my mom had no idea so she didn't want to commit to anything. So when I listed our cabin I didn't include her. But just so she doesn't feel left out, if anyone from our group(s) has any extra candy or FEs that they want to include her (Phyllis, just turned 78 last week) it would be appreciated (but not expected at this late date). I ordered extra FEs for her, so she won't be completely shut out. ;)

was just reading last year's awesome DIS navigator and came across an interesting idea - emergency medicine supplies.
would anyone be interested in packing a few spare things in case anyone needs some extra meds? i've always got tons of paracetamol (acetaminophen) with me so i'll always have extra incase anyone needs any. let me know if anyone else is interested in doing this.

One more thing: When I signed up for these I was only vaguely aware of how they worked, and my mom had no idea so she didn't want to commit to anything. So when I listed our cabin I didn't include her. But just so she doesn't feel left out, if anyone from our group(s) has any extra candy or FEs that they want to include her (Phyllis, just turned 78 last week) it would be appreciated (but not expected at this late date). I ordered extra FEs for her, so she won't be completely shut out. ;)

my FE gift is per cabin, so can't really help there, but just added her to my candy swap list so she'll definately get extra from me for that

Is anyone else "winging it" in the ports?

I am! I have no specific plans for any of the ports. Have some things I'd like to do, but no set schedule or anything. I actually had port adventures scheduled for several of the ports and then cancelled them when I decided to wing it.

Of course, I don't plan to pack until the morning I leave (depart my house around noon), so I'm obviously a little "different." :rotfl:

winging it here too :)
nothing in gibraltar except morrisons
hop on hop off bus in madiera

actually not totally winging it i guess....
scuba diving in tortola
horse riding in st maarten

My thoughts are to do it in a pdf that can be printed like the following from last years WBTA. Reminder they are large files so may need a minute or so to load

2010 WBTA Navigator

PDF for electronic reading devices

Wow, that is awesome!:worship::worship::worship: One for this year's cruise would be fantastic but we could always print off the spreadsheet on the WBTA 2011 site for people's room numbers :)

Talking of which as our names (DISboard and real) along with our cabin number are already on the WBTA 2011 Web site, we're OK with having our information on any master list that is created:thumbsup2

On the packing front, I have created a spreadsheet for both myself and DH so that we can write down what we will wear on what day. DH has already populated his and knows exactly what is going to be packed. For my part, I'm having a hard time populating it...my mind is full of "what ifs" on the weather front and trying to work out how I'm going to get all of the dresses I'm hoping to take (got to make use of the opportunity to wear them ;)) without going over my free luggage allowance. Decisions, decisions....:eek:

Wow, that is awesome!:worship::worship::worship: One for this year's cruise would be fantastic but we could always print off the spreadsheet on the WBTA 2011 site for people's room numbers :)

Hope to have the DIS Navigator done by the end of Labor Day weekend which for non USA citizens in September 5th. We will put up a tentative one for corrections etc. prior to that date.

Talking of which as our names (DISboard and real) along with our cabin number are already on the WBTA 2011 Web site, we're OK with having our information on any master list that is created:thumbsup2

On the packing front, I have created a spreadsheet for both myself and DH so that we can write down what we will wear on what day. DH has already populated his and knows exactly what is going to be packed. For my part, I'm having a hard time populating it...my mind is full of "what ifs" on the weather front and trying to work out how I'm going to get all of the dresses I'm hoping to take (got to make use of the opportunity to wear them ;)) without going over my free luggage allowance. Decisions, decisions....:eek:

I make an Excel spreadsheet for every trip and put a copy in my luggage so I know what to repack where. I do it for the whole trip day by day, then one spreadsheet for each piece of luggage I take so if it is ever lost I know exactly what was inside.

I ALWAYS have way too many bags. Just ask my DH!!

suitcaselady.gif

I'm almost afraid to actually start putting things in suitcases, only to find out 3, 4, or 5 won't be enough!! Funny thing is, every cruise I've been on I've packed too much. Yet I continue to take a lot of "what if" and "just in case" wear. Literally should put half back in the closet, shouldn't I?

I am the same way but this trip is a true test of my light packing skills since DH says only one suitcase for each of us since he has to handle the bags in London x5 days. As soon as I hit Barcelona I'll buy some tee shirts so I can have some variety. And then there are always bags and more clothes on the ship to purchase:cool1:

Unbelievably, my MIL loves to sneak up behind me and feel my waist with her hands to see how much weight I've gained or lost. Wait till she sees me after Barcelona's offerings, 2 weeks of Disney dinners, and lots of FAB's! Her expression will be priceless! :rotfl2:

Oh dear......! That's gotta be tough!! :scared1: And I think you must be a super patient and kind DIL to tolerate her!! :rotfl: Glad you are still planning to have a great time...besides, didn't someone say that cruise ship food is calorie free, anyway??

did you guys just climb over the railings and stowaway on the ship then? as far as i know the door into the ship is on the starboard side, meaning as you enter, lumiere's is on your left?!

:rotfl2: It's funny, I guess we were picturing entering at GS (at least I was) and not sure how I thought that was going to happen...!! Think I am turned back around now.... :3dglasses

Thanks for all your hard work, Noel! :thumbsup2 We fly out early the 5th (at airport by 5AM) and are not taking technology, so I will definitely be printing. I think our hotels in NYC and Barcelona have a business center of some sort, so I can print from there.

Karen mentioned meds earlier, I believe. If you are prone to certain chronic things, like kidney stones, you may also want to touch base with your doctor about having a prescription on-hand just in case one hits.

Side note: I just read on cnn.com that Branson's home in the BVI (Necker Island) was hit with lightning and burned badly. I remember watching that home on television - such a beautiful home.

I am the same way but this trip is a true test of my light packing skills since DH says only one suitcase for each of us since he has to handle the bags in London x5 days. As soon as I hit Barcelona I'll buy some tee shirts so I can have some variety. And then there are always bags and more clothes on the ship to purchase:cool1:

DH and I have schlepped bags for almost 30 years on business with all the gear so this is not a new experience for us. We once did 6 weeks, 8 countries with 5 bags, eight boxes of materials etc. We didn't fly but took trains, ferries etc. from country to country. Of course, we were younger and more fit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter