Selfie Sticks

I love mine! Bought and Extend N Click and use it often.
Another neat thing is a Hisy, a little clicker for your iPhone.

I love my selfie stick. it doesn't go down to 6" though and that's what I really want for the parks. It does fit in my backpack but the smaller size would fit in my cross body bag and would be fabulous. LOL

I only used mine in the parks a couple of times and then put it away.

Why not? Will they get cooties on your phone?

My issue with selfie sticks is when people walk with them. I almost got smacked in the face a couple times in December.

I'm not going to risk getting my phone stolen or dropped. Handing someone your phone to take a picture in Disney World and handing someone your phone in New Orleans are two very different things.

I always retracted mine when I was walking around.

I don't need a selfie stick because it would be just one more thing to carry around, like reading glasses or a water bottle, and at least those I can carry in a pocket or on my belt. Besides, I already know what I look like, so why would I need to take a picture of myself on short notice?

However, I don't object to someone wanting to look like a doofus carrying around a walking stick with their cell phone on the end. Different strokes, and all. Just don't stick it into my face, please. That would not end well, I'm afraid.

Are those all taken with the selfie-stick?

Nope, those are his senior pictures that I took. They're not the final retouched versions, though, just previews.

Here's one of the selfie stick photos we took in front of Anne Rice's house.
IMG_20141124_095715058_HDR.jpg

Here's one from Washington:
IMG_20141106_140316174_HDR.jpg

I think it would be kind of fun to play around with a selfie stick. We take tons of selfie style photos but it would nice to lose that awkward extended arm angle we have in most of our pictures together. If someone offers to take our picture, I might them up on it, but it's not my personality to ask for favors from strangers. And sometimes, there are no other people around when it would be nice to get a picture of us with a cool background.

But like everything else, some courtesy and respect for other people goes a long way.

I don't need a selfie stick because it would be just one more thing to carry around, like reading glasses or a water bottle, and at least those I can carry in a pocket or on my belt. Besides, I already know what I look like, so why would I need to take a picture of myself on short notice?

However, I don't object to someone wanting to look like a doofus carrying around a walking stick with their cell phone on the end. Different strokes, and all. Just don't stick it into my face, please. That would not end well, I'm afraid.

Yea, sure. I want a photo of myself because I don't know what I look like. What on earth? Do you happen to have a treasured photo of a loved one who passed away? Do you think that photo exists because the person didn't know what he or she looked like?

And your "different strokes" theory goes out the window as soon as you call someone a doofus.

What a strange, judgmental viewpoint on photography.

Yea, sure. I want a photo of myself because I don't know what I look like. What on earth? Do you happen to have a treasured photo of a loved one who passed away? Do you think that photo exists because the person didn't know what he or she looked like?

And your "different strokes" theory goes out the window as soon as you call someone a doofus.

What a strange, judgmental viewpoint on photography.

Several, actually, and they didn't take those pictures themselves. If someone wants a picture, they can certainly take it. I don't feel the drive to provide the world with pictures of me.

Different strokes isn't a theory. It's a philosophy. :p I don't ride motorcycles either, and I often question the good sense of those who do, but I don't object to them riding. Different strokes, and all.

And I didn't call anyone a doofus -- I said that someone walking around with a camera on a stick looks like a doofus. Did I need to say that was my opinion? I thought that would be obvious since this is a forum where we post opinions as freely as facts. If I say that the cast member playing the part of Pocahontas looks like an Indian princess, am I then saying that she actually is an Indian princess? Nope. Just that she looks like one.

As evidenced by the pictures posted above, when you take a picture yourself, no one is looking at the camera. They are all looking at the phone.

I want my subjects looking at the camera, not off to the side.

Just seems more convenient and portable than a tripod, to me. It's not unheard of or especially narcissistic for people to also want to be in the photos they take.

But, like anything, there will always be idiots who use it in ways that annoy others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter