Sci-Fi Dine-in is not for us!

DisneyFive

When is the 3:00 parade?
In short, our party of 7 walked away from our dinner thinking, “that was a weird experience, don’t need to go back there again” I’ll explain…

We decided to try Sci-Fi Dine-in this year for the first time. It’s never made our list primarily because we’ve had Free Dining in years past and it wasn’t a good use of a TS credit vs other locations. However, this year we paid out-of-pocket for all meals and Sci-fi looked like a fun new place to try, with a more economical menu. This is a “one off” review, so keep that in mind, and with any review a lot of this comes with our own personal preferences.

Venue:
We arrive for our 5pm dinner with the restaurant entrance very full and some folks complaining about how long they’ve been waiting. I think this was primarily walk-ups complaining. The CM’s were very nice trying to handle the situation. We checked in and got our buzzer and our car “table” was ready within 10 minutes. Much better than expected. We knew ahead of time that the venue is supposed to replicate a drive in movie theater, but all indoors, a cool concept. We get brought to our seat in an excellent location just to the right of the screen. The first thing we noticed was how eerily quiet it was in the restaurant. It’s dark, which was expected, but it was WAY quieter than any other Disney restaurant we’ve ever been in. You couldn’t see the other tables all that well because of the dark, and combine that with the hushed environment, it was just awkward and different. If you spoke at a normal voice level it felt like way more customers than normal could hear you. Overall not too bad though.

The movies and ads they show on the big screen are cheesy, but they were nostalgic. I imagine they don’t put anything very interesting up on the screen because then customers may linger in their seats longer and reduce throughput and revenue in the restaurant.

Seating:
Seating was awkward for us. We had the three kids in the front row of our vehicle, my wife and I in the middle, and my parents behind us. It made conversation really difficult. We knew about the seating arrangement beforehand, but didn’t realize how weird it would be. I don’t enjoy talking to the back of my kids’ heads, or craning my head to talk with my parents. It made it hard to carry on any conversation other than with the person next to you. Maybe this why the place was so quiet? I would have much preferred the tables in the middle of the restaurant where we could have sat together at a typical table setting.

Menu/Food quality:
The menu is somewhat limited focusing primarily on burgers with a few other sandwiches, salads and entrees. We had heard good things about the burgers so 4 of the 7 got those (3 All American, and 1 Beef and Blue Burger). My youngest got chicken tenders, my mom and I split a wedge salad and the Blue burger, and my oldest got the Prime Rib Sandwich. 6 of the 7 in our party also got shakes. The burgers were absolutely HUGE, so you won’t go away hungry. All were ordered medium. None of us were impressed with the meat. I’m not sure what “signature blend of beef” they use, but it didn’t taste much like beef, didn’t feel like beef, and had little flavor. The blue burger had an unfamiliar tang to it and the blue cheese was barely tasted. I’m sorry to say that it was probably the worst tasting variety of this type of burger that I’ve ever had. The steak fries were very good. The wedge salad, while pretty basic, was just what I was looking for and I really enjoyed it. The chicken tenders were good. The prime rib sandwich fell flat as well. Not much taste to the meat and kind of on the dry side. Just an average sandwich at best.

The shakes were enjoyed by all. Most got the cookies and cream, with one getting the special pineapple, and myself getting the chocolate. I tasted all three, and mine was definitely the most generic. Tasted very much like an inexpensive Frosty at Wendy’s. The others were very good though.

Summary:
So, in all, while an economical choice, it was just a weird experience with overall below average food quality. If I would have known ahead of time I would have requested a table where we could sit like normal and enjoy the atmosphere that way. It is a very unique environment that looked awesome in pictures but didn’t play out well for us. At least now we know.

Dan

We are going in a few weeks, dining out of pocket, and I was between 50’s prime time and Sci Fi. I let my husband choose and he went with 50’s! Sounds like a good decision

Thanks for the review! I’m sorry it didn’t meet your expectations. We usually eat at Sci-Fi but this year are doing Prime Time instead. My mom was disappointed not to do Sci-Fi, as it really is a favorite of my family’s. We always enjoy sitting in the cars and have found the food to be really good. At least you tried it and now know it’s not for you.

We brought my husband's family to Sci-Fi, and I for one was thankful for the seating set up. I love family, but the whole trip was a lot of together time, so it was nice to have a quieter meal in the dark and AC. Thankfully for us everyone enjoyed their food and we left full and rested.

One of the reasons why we love SciFi is that sometimes we need a quiet break from coming up with things to say to each other part way through a vaca :rotfl:We don't try to have conversations but we are usually with each other 100% of the time. It would be odd if you were broken into smaller groups and want to meet up and share about your day so far.

In all seriousness, last kid I took was absolutely rejuvenated after our SciFi lunch because she was able to be still, quiet, and just gaze at the screen while she ate. After a crazy morning, she needed a quiet cool place to just be. She dragged in there exhausted but came out of there ready to go.

Sorry the burgers were disappointing! I hate that Disney food can be so inconsistent :(

For how busy it was out front it appeared that at least 1/3 of the tables were empty so that may have contributed to the quiet.

Dan

In short, our party of 7 walked away from our dinner thinking, “that was a weird experience, don’t need to go back there again” I’ll explain…

Summary:
So, in all, while an economical choice, it was just a weird experience with overall below average food quality. If I would have known ahead of time I would have requested a table where we could sit like normal and enjoy the atmosphere that way. It is a very unique environment that looked awesome in pictures but didn’t play out well for us. At least now we know.

Dan

I expect the reason why most people are quiet is because it is a theater. Forgive me for saying this but if there are larger groups making noise equivalent to a regular restaurant I think it would detract from the drive-in atmosphere. There are some round tables in the back, not sure if 7 of you would have been able to sit comfortably around one small table, more like 4-5. If they put you at two tables, 4 adults and 3 kids, that might have worked.

Did your kids enjoy it? or did they think it was weird too?

t made it hard to carry on any conversation other than with the person next to you. Maybe this why the place was so quiet?

Probably.

I would have much preferred the tables in the middle of the restaurant where we could have sat together at a typical table setting.

Those tables are where we were seated when we did a walkin. We were given the option of those or the "picnic tables" in the back. As far as I have ever read, the true "car" tables (where you sat) are for ADR people.

We brought my husband's family to Sci-Fi, and I for one was thankful for the seating set up. I love family, but the whole trip was a lot of together time

I can imagine. :)

In all seriousness, last kid I took was absolutely rejuvenated after our SciFi lunch because she was able to be still, quiet, and just gaze at the screen while she ate.

Good perspective!

I didn't love the place either, FWIW.

I expect the reason why most people are quiet is because it is a theater. Forgive me for saying this but if there are larger groups making noise equivalent to a regular restaurant I think it would detract from the drive-in atmosphere.

Did your kids enjoy it? or did they think it was weird too?

The kids thought it was awkward as well. We like to chat during dinner and talk about the day and what we might be doing for the evening, but that’s just our family. So this dynamic just didn’t work well for us. Nothing wrong with the seating per se, just not our style.

Dan

I agree about the food, but I had a pleasant experience in January. I liked the nostalgic feel and the quiet didn't bother me since I was a solo. The ribs weren't the greatest, but the "Candy Bar" dessert was really good. I liked that it was so different, but it's definitely not my favorite at WDW. There's just not a lot of table service options at DHS.

I definitely can see it being awkward for large groups.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. Its one of our favorite places, mostly because its unique and a concept you can only find at Disney. We like the food, but we are not foodies by any means.

Of the several times we have been, I've also noticed it can be quiet. Not sure if its because of the seat configuration or people focused in on the movie clips. Or perhaps people subconsciously whisper because it really does feel like you're at the drive-in!

What is REALLY awkward is when they sit strangers in "your" car...

Do you mean the hitchhikers in the back? DH and I are often these people in the back row because we are a party of two. Why do you feel its awkward? Its still a separate table and far enough apart where we can't hear the conversation. No different than the folks sitting on either side of you.

Nice review and at least you tried it. In 5 trips we have eaten there 4 times and love it. I do call is a CS impersonating a TS because of the menu. As someone who has drive in speakers and pictures of 5 classis driveins in his theater room the place has me hooked.

Sorry it wasn't a great experience for you. We've eaten there usually for a late lunch almost every trip, and have enjoyed it so much.

We've never ordered burgers there, though. I am not a fan of burgers at Disney, no matter where. I've enjoyed lots of their entrees, and yes they are huge portions! They change the menu often, but used to have a salmon BLT that was outstanding, a Reuben, a tofu vegetarian dish that my husband raved about, their onion rings are yummy too! The burgers never sounded good to me honestly.

We like the cool break, out of the sun and heat (I wear sundresses at Disney primarily, and always bring a sweater along especially for in there). We've never found it difficult to hold a normal conversation in there; it's always seemed fine. It's refreshing to sit and relax, eat a meal that is honestly not much more than CS prices, I enjoy a wine or beer along with it (and they had a nice selection).

I agree that being with family all day, it's nice to break it up with kids together and us together. And the hitchhikers in the back never bothered us; they are basically at their own table.

Do you mean the hitchhikers in the back? DH and I are often these people in the back row because we are a party of two. Why do you feel its awkward? Its still a separate table and far enough apart where we can't hear the conversation. No different than the folks sitting on either side of you.

Yes, I forgot they called them hitchhikers, lol.

Same car, literally the seat in front or behind you is closer than a different car in my opinion.
At a real drive-in you don't have people in your car, just sayin'... :car:

Love the hitchhiker analogy! LOL.

Well, the tables in the cars are super short. I would guess maybe 14", just enough for your plate with a little wiggle room, so you are very close the backs of the heads of the people in front of you. Maybe it was unusually quiet during our visit, but I could have easily just whispered to our kids in front of us and they would have heard.
F0CEE5C6-0E22-4B4F-9530-D5E58B120D48.jpeg
It wouldn't bother me much having people behind me since our conversation would be harder for them to hear, but if people I didn't know the people in front of us I would definitely have to talk much quieter than usual if I didn't want them to hear.

Dan

Last edited:
I've enjoyed lots of their entrees, and yes they are huge portions! They change the menu often, but used to have a salmon BLT that was outstanding, a Reuben, a tofu vegetarian dish that my husband raved about, their onion rings are yummy too! The burgers never sounded good to me honestly.

I would have ordered a Reuben (big fan of them), or the salmon BLT if they had been on the menu. I was actually looking forward to a reuben but wasn't on the menu. I had one a few days later at the Plaza though, which was good.

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter