Sanaa or Boma

cmorris303

DIS Veteran
What's the difference between the two if any (besides one being a buffet and one being sit down)
Which do you prefer and why? I know everyone's tastes are different, but I like to hear everyone's thoughts.

Sanaa has a much more Indian cast to the food and flavors than Boma does. I'm given to understand that's because Sanaa focuses on east African food/flavors (where there's been a lot of cultural exchange with India over the centuries), while Boma is more south/central African food.
Either way, I adore them both and make a point of eating at them both every trip!

As a PP said the flavor profile of Sanaa is more Indian inspired. Both are excellent but the biggest difference is buffet vs table. If you don't normally eat at African restaurants Boma will give you a chance to try a bunch of different options. Sanaa is table service so either you have to order multiple entrees to split or just choose. That being said if you do go to Sanaa try the bread sampler which will give you a chance to do some sampling there as well.

Thanks for the input. I am thinking with a large group Boma might be better. That bread service has my name all over it though!!

That was my dilemma over our recent trip. I loved the bread service at Saana on a previous trip, but the menu is more limited. We ended up at Boma for dinner to have wider appeal for everyone in the family. I do like Saana during the day for the view of the animals. Also, Saana is in Kidani village not in the main Jambo house if that matters to you. I thought of trying to do bread service in the Saana lounge in addition to Boma but it was just too much.

Bread service at Sanaa was great, but the rest of the meal was just ok in my opinion. The views at Sanaa of the animals are something to consider. However, as far as food, we both preferred Boma by quite a bit.

If you have a large group, Boma may be a better choice as it has much more variety and your dining experience will be more flexible... people can go up to the buffet as they wish, as many times as they wish, some can linger over the carving station while others ogle the soup station or the desserts. You won't have an animal view, but you can easily do that after you are stuffed to the gills at Boma! Enjoy!

What's the difference between the two if any (besides one being a buffet and one being sit down)
Which do you prefer and why? I know everyone's tastes are different, but I like to hear everyone's thoughts.
I typically prefer Sanaa, but I can understand Boma buffet with a group that may have more varied tastes.

With the wisdom of King Solomon I offer this: Cocktails at Sanaa before dinner (assuming daylight to see animals). Have the bread service at the bar and go to dinner at Boma. AKLodges are worth that extra effort if you are planning to be there anyway.

We usually get just the bread service Sanaa. We found most of the other offerings to be average.

Can you get drinks and bread service in the dining room (by the windows, if possible) at Sanaa? Do you need a reservation for drinks and apps?
Thanks!

They are very different, IMO. We love both.

Sanaa is more limited, and has a different flavor profile.

Boma has something for everyone, whether picky or not, spicy or not, adventurous or not.

I would choose Boma for a group.

YUM!

Can you get drinks and bread service in the dining room (by the windows, if possible) at Sanaa? Do you need a reservation for drinks and apps?
Thanks!
Yes. We often just do the bread service at lunch, and we pair that with a glass or two of wine and occasionally will add a bowl of soup. I suggest doing the full bread service, and yes, do make an ADR.

I typically prefer Sanaa, but I can understand Boma buffet with a group that may have more varied tastes.

With the wisdom of King Solomon I offer this: Cocktails at Sanaa before dinner (assuming daylight to see animals). Have the bread service at the bar and go to dinner at Boma. AKLodges are worth that extra effort if you are planning to be there anyway.

Genius idea!! This is exactly what I'm going to plan to do!

Can we walk from Sanaa to Boma?

Can we walk from Sanaa to Boma?
Yes. There is a walking path from Kidani to Jambo and it takes roughly 15 minutes to walk it at a leisurely pace. There is also a 15-passenger van that is used as a shuttle bus that will take you door to door at no charge. It only runs back and forth between the two buildings so you shouldn't have to wait very long for it to arrive. It would be faster than walking.

I am assuming if we plan to do cocktails and bread service at the bar that we wouldn't need an ADR...is this correct? What time would you recommend for Sanaa to have a chance of seeing the animals in August? I'm thinking of trying for a Boma ADR for an hour or so after we plan on getting to Sanaa or would we need more time in between Sanaa and Boma? Is there anything else that we should do or see while we're there?

I am assuming if we plan to do cocktails and bread service at the bar that we wouldn't need an ADR...is this correct? What time would you recommend for Sanaa to have a chance of seeing the animals in August? I'm thinking of trying for a Boma ADR for an hour or so after we plan on getting to Sanaa or would we need more time in between Sanaa and Boma? Is there anything else that we should do or see while we're there?

We were thinking about bread service at the bar as well, so I'm interested in this answer too...

So glad I found this thread! I was going to do dinner at Sanaa but just moved my ADR to lunch so we could hopefully see animals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter