• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

S/O Coronavirus School Closing considered in your area?

My DD is in SUNY Purchase I'm shocked they didn't close today. They are in the midst of mid-terms this week and next. They have been sending out letters up until yesterday that they are preparing for online learning. I feel like it's ground zero as there are cases all around the school area. Master Card closed which is right down the road from them. A private school in the same town closed. I'm worried once they have cases they will quarantine them at the school. All the kids hang out in White Plains. I told her to stay put, don't go into town.

Yikes. Yeah. Westchester really is ny’s patient zero capital. We were at dinner in Harrison last night 👀 👀

Yikes, yep right there. I'm sure my dd is not listening to me and thinks I'm paranoid Good thing midterms are keeping her too busy to go out. I hope:sad2: lol

We had a local school here on Long Island send all the kids home after they had arrived at school today. At first they said it was because they suspected a security staff member had been exposed to the virus, then they thought it was the spouse of a staff member with a confirmed case then it became the husband of the staff member was exposed to someone who MIGHT have it. :sad2: Needless to say, they jumped the gun in this case and school is open tomorrow. But many people stopped paying attention to anything after, “confirmed case,” so that’s what was spread around.

Just came across our local news -

Vanderbilt University in Nashville has cancelled classes this week & all in person classes until 3/30 & may extend through the end of the semester.

From what I’ve gathered, classed are cancelled this week, & they’ll go to online classes from 3/16 - 3/30.

Last edited:
Fulton County, right?

We are in Cobb and no closures here yet. Field trips have to be re-approved and overseas trips are on a temporary hold.

If it’s in Fulton, it will be in Cobb soon. The local news said Fulton County closed tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how long they stay closed. A deep cleaning of a school would be hard to get done in a day.

We’re in Dekalb spraying Lysol your way 😷 :) stay safe!

Our school district was closed this past Friday and Monday for a deep cleaning because a man in our county (although, his child goes to a private school in the county) was diagnosed last week. They were supposed to go back today, but we got a robo-call at 5:00 a.m. because of someone else in the county with a confirmed case. She says she was at one of the schools prior to her diagnosis (don't know if she has a child there or voted there last week), but they've supposedly done a deep cleaning since then, so....

Over 40K students affected. Spring break is next week, so it wouldn't surprise me if they close the rest of this week. I wonder how it's all going to play out when everyone comes back from spring break and the virus has spread even more.

Also, the parents commenting the loudest on social media demanding they close school I'm certain are taking their kids to the grocery store, park, etc. and not just locking themselves inside.

Speaking of Fulton County, I saw Dr. Looney on the news last night (I'm in the Nashville area). Caught me off guard for a minute because he was our superintendent for years and I was very confused for a minute, lol.

Our school district was closed this past Friday and Monday for a deep cleaning because a man in our county (although, his child goes to a private school in the county) was diagnosed last week. They were supposed to go back today, but we got a robo-call at 5:00 a.m. because of someone else in the county with a confirmed case. She says she was at one of the schools prior to her diagnosis (don't know if she has a child there or voted there last week), but they've supposedly done a deep cleaning since then, so....

Over 40K students affected. Spring break is next week, so it wouldn't surprise me if they close the rest of this week. I wonder how it's all going to play out when everyone comes back from spring break and the virus has spread even more.

Also, the parents commenting the loudest on social media demanding they close school I'm certain are taking their kids to the grocery store, park, etc. and not just locking themselves inside.
...or or maybe they are going to WDW...;)

My son’s university will be teaching the rest of this year virtually. We were just told this morning that they have to be out of their dorms by Sunday at 5pm. So sad for him.:(

My 2 other kids are in middle and high school. Their schools will be closed this Thursday so the teachers can learn how to teach virtually. The state of NJ announced yesterday that as long as kids are given instruction, they don’t need to be in school for the day to count as a school day. I expect that their schools will be closing soon.

Yeah, I think we’re going to see a big increase in the virus numbers after everyone comes back to schools after Spring Break.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, my older children’s college sent out an email saying they were going to deep-clean the campus during Spring Break. I’m not really sure why & what good that’s going to do after all the students return after Spring Break from all over the country.

And, I also agree that, if/when schools close, parents won’t be keeping their kids at home. However, if/when schools close, since kids won’t be required to be at school, families can decide for themselves w/ what level/risk of exposure they’re comfortable, if that makes sense. The more worried families can stay home w/o the pressure of their kids having to be at school. And, even if some kids continue to go out & about, closing schools does decrease community spread.

Our town alerted us yesterday that today would be a half day for students so teachers could prepare for the possibility of home learning. My niece west of Philly had her daughter's school close yesterday, indefinitely at this point.

Somewhat positive news:
DH17's high school marching band has a 10 day trip booked Apr 10-19 for Scotland/UK. They had a meeting with the 128 kids this morning and unless they are legally barred from departure or entry, they will be going.

Stipulation- if your family is not comfortable, please do not go because it is not worth being a nervous wreck. If you do go, you are not to openly continue discussing and dwelling on coronavirus. If you begin to fell unwell, please let the school nurse know (she is going and will be on 24 hour call). Also, if you personally choose or require testing for coronavirus, you will need to separate from the rest of the group for the remainder of the trip (whether or not you test positive).

Just when I thought we were nearing 95% chance of not going, this at least raised my hopes. As long as the US lets them out and the UK lets them in, they will go. I realize the concerns this raises about 'spread' but between what we've already learned about this novel virus and what more we learn in 4 weeks time, society could get a handle on this situation. We're definitely not out of the woods but signs are emerging that we could cope much better than what was once was feared (especially compared to the onset when hardly anything was known about the potential).

Our town alerted us yesterday that today would be a half day for students so teachers could prepare for the possibility of home learning. My niece west of Philly had her daughter's school close yesterday, indefinitely at this point.

Somewhat positive news:
DH17's high school marching band has a 10 day trip booked Apr 10-19 for Scotland/UK. They had a meeting with the 128 kids this morning and unless they are legally barred from departure or entry, they will be going.

Stipulation- if your family is not comfortable, please do not go because it is not worth being a nervous wreck. If you do go, you are not to openly continue discussing and dwelling on coronavirus. If you begin to fell unwell, please let the school nurse know (she is going and will be on 24 hour call). Also, if you personally choose or require testing for coronavirus, you will need to separate from the rest of the group for the remainder of the trip (whether or not you test positive).

Just when I thought we were nearing 95% chance of not going, this at least raised my hopes. As long as the US lets them out and the UK lets them in, they will go. I realize the concerns this raises about 'spread' but between what we've already learned about this novel virus and what more we learn in 4 weeks time, society could get a handle on this situation. We're definitely not out of the woods but signs are emerging that we could cope much better than what was once was feared (especially compared to the onset when hardly anything was known about the potential).

That part seems odd to me - seems like it would definitely make sure that absolutely no one mentions that they are getting sick on the trip. Which would lead to people hiding it so that they didn't have to seperate from the group.

But otherwise - hope it all works out - glad that are letting parents/kids make the decision and go if they are comfortable. I would choose to go/send my kid and would be happy to have the choice.

Nothing here in NC. That said my middle child (competitive gymnast) moved to an online public school this year so for her shes not getting a day off no matter what! LOL! I have been saying for YEARS that we have the technology and I am not sure why cyber learning is not more widespread and available. Lots of kids dont NEED to be in a school building 8 hours a day- cyber allows them the opportunity to increase family time, get jobs, do more extra curricular activities, volunteer etc. Its fantastic. (not for every kid for sure though!) personally I feel every single school district should have to offer a full time option for cyber school.

That part seems odd to me - seems like it would definitely make sure that absolutely no one mentions that they are getting sick on the trip. Which would lead to people hiding it so that they didn't have to seperate from the group.

But otherwise - hope it all works out - glad that are letting parents/kids make the decision and go if they are comfortable. I would choose to go/send my kid and would be happy to have the choice.
Yeah, it crossed my mind too that it might prompt kids to be silent and untreated. I'm pretty sure if we get to the point where they can go, they'll be monitoring all the kids temperatures twice a day on the trip, and emphasizing the need to be honest. The directors have proven to be extremely responsible and capable in the past. They're likely trying to find the sweet spot between undue panic and responsibility. I trust them more to care for my son oversees than most of my own family or friends, lol.

Private college in Orange County NY just announced they will be going to online classes until the end of this month. Currently there are no confirmed cases in that county so I'm kind of surprised that they have done that before SUNY Purchase or Manhattanville or the other schools in Westchester have.

I really hope this doesn't become the norm for all schools, my ds is in a tech program and can't do his work at home, he needs the lab facilities at the school.
I wonder what happens to those students, they are going to have to make up all that missed work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter