Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on a trip for a person who doesn't really want to go. Does she like shopping or food? Try a Disney Springs day. Shows instead of rides? You can go all the way through some parks without once seeing Mickey Mouse anywhere unless you want to see him. Like World Showcase, or Animal Kingdom.

So at this point would you rather have Disney come out with a statement and say "Guys, we have encountered some technical difficulties and it doesn't look like we'll be able to open on April 22nd." And then if they do finish it just open it up with no notice?
Or would you rather they keep us in the dark (pun intended) and then maybe a week before say "Nope, it's not opening April 22nd"?

I agree with what others have been saying it that I wish there was some information, even if it is bad news. Keeping completely silent and promising news and not delivering is more upsetting than just admitting they are having technical issues. It's a brand new show with likely brand new technology, so of course there are going to be issues at first. I really hope that they still open up the sunset safari, nighttime EE and tree of life lighting for my trip, even if ROL doesn't happen. At this point, doing all that will totally mess up the FP I have, but I don't care because I would love to see one of my favorite parks at night. They probably are worried about the mob of angry people outside the ROL seating if they keep the park open late but there is no ROL. Frankly, it is partly their fault that people are so upset about ROL. They force people to plan so early and promote the show like crazy so people get excited about it, then refuse to give any information so people can actually plan. I know they couldn't anticipate technical problems, but maybe they should have waited to promote it until they were further along. In the past, I didn't find out about new rides or shows until I walked in the park that day and saw it on the map or show time guide!

:offtopic:so....while we wait, and wait and wait...I have a question for you all.

I am trying to convince my sister to go with me on a trip NEXT April (2017). She's never been there:sad2: and no matter what others tell her (even her adult son!), she is really having trouble understanding. I keep telling her that unless you have been there, you just can't know what it's like. She's a skeptic. "Well, I'm not a Neverland kind of person, and I really don't get into Mickey Mouse that much...":scared1:

I know, sacrilegious, right?????

So...anyone with ideas of how I can win her over to try it? We're doing a short trip next week to visit a 90 year old family member, and will be flying - so about 3 hours each way. I plan to try to show her photos of our past trips, and tell her about how much fun we've had, but she's a bull-headed kind of personality, and if it's something that doesn't fit in her perceived way the world turns, it must not be important....HA HA HA

Help me open her eyes to a "Whole New World!"::yes::
Have you thought about a solo trip? Going with family is wonderful of course, but I also LOVE my solo trips!

THanks, everyone for all your great tips...I can see I need to do a bit more planning on what exactly to focus my "pitch" on next week...I have also ordered a new Planning DVD, so will try to get some ideas from that.

When we were kids, we really did enjoy doing many of the same things...but alas, as life seems to fill with many different priorities, we have grown apart, and have little that we truly share anymore, other than our childhood memories. It would be great if I could share this with her, it's not her cup of tea. But, as suggested, I'm not planning to push hard...if she's not interested, she's not interested. I sure wouldn't want her pushing on me to do something I didn't want to do.

Here are my thoughts about a possible trip:
  • I was thinking of a shorter (for me, anyway) trip, 5 nights instead of my normal 7, and concentrating on a taste of everything, but focusing on what would really light her fire. Spend some time visiting the different resorts, but DS probably wouldn't be a real selling point (we have the Mall of America pretty close - it's not a hot button)
  • If I could swing it, the African Trek would definitely be one thing she would really get into...
  • and as for crowds, neither of us LOVE crowds, that's why we live in the sticks. But she lives even further out in the sticks that I do, so I would be conscious of avoiding the majority of WORST crowded things. And April after Easter next year should be medium crowds and prices, and great weather.
  • Rides? not sure...will have to show her our photos and see what she seems interested in.
  • I think she would really like the F&G displays, and going through the WS at EPCOT, too. But I'm thinking AK might be the best place to start.
I knew your ROL-Loungers would have some good ideas!! :thanks:

Have you thought about a solo trip? Going with family is wonderful of course, but I also LOVE my solo trips!

Ooo...I'm not a solo kind of traveler. I used to have to travel for business, and just never really did get comfortable doing stuff by myself. Probably couldn't justify it financially either... But thanks for the idea!

You really think that? You don't believe that seeing the animals at night will provide a different experience? I mean, the animals ARE the entire purpose of doing the ride. Seeing them at night will be entirely different. I don't think it's going to be the same as the day time experience at all. Not to mention how pretty the simulated sunsets will
You really think that? You don't believe that seeing the animals at night will provide a different experience? I mean, the animals ARE the entire purpose of doing the ride. Seeing them at night will be entirely different. I don't think it's going to be the same as the day time experience at all. Not to mention how pretty the simulated sunsets will be.
Whether the experience is significantly different or not, I'm mainly excited about AK adding several hours to enjoy. Makes up a bit for the loss of so many things at other parks. Especially HS and DQ. Yeah, I know, who goes to DQ? Well, during a 14 night stay we certainly did a few times. With the increased number of nights MK closes in September, half of HS gone, no DQ... a few late nights at AK is welcome.

I got BOG breakfast reservations 3 months in advance. In the end the only reason I'm going is to see how cool it looks inside. Also get early park access. Dinner isn't needed for my needs of actually wanting to go there
For those wanting to see inside BOG without ADR or interest in eating there, they open it for that purpose for the first hour or so after park opening.

THanks, everyone for all your great tips...I can see I need to do a bit more planning on what exactly to focus my "pitch" on next week...I have also ordered a new Planning DVD, so will try to get some ideas from that.

When we were kids, we really did enjoy doing many of the same things...but alas, as life seems to fill with many different priorities, we have grown apart, and have little that we truly share anymore, other than our childhood memories. It would be great if I could share this with her, it's not her cup of tea. But, as suggested, I'm not planning to push hard...if she's not interested, she's not interested. I sure wouldn't want her pushing on me to do something I didn't want to do.

Here are my thoughts about a possible trip:
  • I was thinking of a shorter (for me, anyway) trip, 5 nights instead of my normal 7, and concentrating on a taste of everything, but focusing on what would really light her fire. Spend some time visiting the different resorts, but DS probably wouldn't be a real selling point (we have the Mall of America pretty close - it's not a hot button)
  • If I could swing it, the African Trek would definitely be one thing she would really get into...
  • and as for crowds, neither of us LOVE crowds, that's why we live in the sticks. But she lives even further out in the sticks that I do, so I would be conscious of avoiding the majority of WORST crowded things. And April after Easter next year should be medium crowds and prices, and great weather.
  • Rides? not sure...will have to show her our photos and see what she seems interested in.
  • I think she would really like the F&G displays, and going through the WS at EPCOT, too. But I'm thinking AK might be the best place to start.
I knew your ROL-Loungers would have some good ideas!! :thanks:
Good plan!
I had another thought as well. Does she watch The Food Network, Cooking Channel or Top Chef? She might want to eat at one of the name restaurants like Todd English's Bluezoo, Wolfgang Puck's, or Morimoto Asia. Also Art Smith and Rick Bayless are planning restaurants at Disney Springs that are supposed to open sometime in 2016.
And one of these days Tiffin's will open, so that will be an option, too. :D

OOO...good points...she is into flowers, and loves animals, so I can bring that up. And, AngiTN, your point about not pushing is good too, since pushing too hard would probably only make her resist more.

We actually grew up watching the old DISNEYLAND show every Sunday night. And the Mickey Mouse Club. She really liked the old Nature movies they did back then, too.

I do think she would really enjoy it...she thinks it's all about little kid stuff. I'll see if I have one of those park planning videos around here..I know I was getting them regularly, but I think I have tossed them all out now cause they were older.

Usually a trip for two adults, my favorite resort is Port Orleans FQ. Small, not to overrun with kiddy theming, etc. I know she would love the landscaping there.

Thanks for the tips!

Do some tours. If your budget doesn't allow for the big ones, do small ones like Behind the Seeds. This will help make it not a theme park for kids.

Hey Loungers! I missed the hootenanny over the weekend. I was helping to make some TFA Snowtroopers... lots of quilting goodness! It seems that the RoL is still on a holding pattern, as far as fastpass goes.

How are we doing on Lounge shirts? Has a design been approved yet? (I assume the DIS would need to approve a design if it has any relationship with the DIS forums.... maybe it's an incorrect assumption.)

:hyper2: 500 pages by Wednesday night?

It exists using fun comments uniting the support group with it's own original logo.
It does not represent DIS nor have anything regarding DIS or Walt Disney World on it.

Just for fun :D

Do some tours. If your budget doesn't allow for the big ones, do small ones like Behind the Seeds. This will help make it not a theme park for kids.
Oh, yes! Another vote for Behind the Seeds! We did that one a few years back and enjoyed it a great deal. :) It also doesn't take a huge time commitment, which is nice.

Just a thought. maybe AK isn't ready for the rest of the nighttime stuff? Maybe ROL will be ready but there won't be enough things open that late at night?

:offtopic: DH and I are planning a non-USA Disney trip for next year but we can't decide on a destination. I want Tokyo (because I've read amazing things about DisneySea) and he wants Paris (because he lived in Italy for 6 months during grad school and wants to explore more of Europe). Thoughts? Or if anyone can point me to a DIS thread, that's appreciated as well. Thanks!

:offtopic: DH and I are planning a non-USA Disney trip for next year but we can't decide on a destination. I want Tokyo (because I've read amazing things about DisneySea) and he wants Paris (because he lived in Italy for 6 months during grad school and wants to explore more of Europe). Thoughts? Or if anyone can point me to a DIS thread, that's appreciated as well. Thanks!
I hate to say this but I've always wanted to see Paris. With or without Disney being part of the trip. ok I fibbed a little Disney would be part of the trip.

Tokyo DL/DS are the best Disney parks in the world. This may be my opinion, but I'm pretty sure that many other people agree with it. :)

I know a lot of people that have been to DL Paris (I'm from England) and have been very disappointed. They told me that as I have been to Disneyworld I definitely wouldn't like it - however you just don't know until you try do you!
Whatever you decide I am sure you will have a wonderful time! Tokyo sounds incredible.. I would love to go!

Have never been to Tokyo (would like to ONE DAY) but we HAVE been to Paris. We went a few years ago - spent 1 night / 2 days at DLP (2 days was enough to get thru everything) then we moved into the city for a couple of nights for more sightseeing - then we went to Barcelona and did one of the DCL Med cruises then spent a couple more nights in Barcelona after the cruise. FANTASTIC trip. I had gone to Paris MANY years ago in my senior year of HS with my French class. I'd always said I wanted to go back again one day - just never thought it would take me 30 years! :rotfl: Anyway, we absolutely LOVED Paris and would return again in a heartbeat. We did sooo much on our own - I planned out our days with the help of a few touring books (left bank one day and the right bank the next day). Booked a tiny little old boutique hotel in the city in the St. Germain des Pres area (walkable to Notre Dame, Luxembourg Gardens & several metro stops). Did a special below ground tour of the Eiffel Tower then went to the top and then ate dinner at a little cafe with view of the tower at night - spectacular. We went up in the Arc de Triompe, visited the Louvre, the Army museum, the D'Orsay, Sacre Coeur, the Pantheon, Notre Dame and Luxembourg Gardens - Paris is so much fun! EUROPE is so much fun!! My personal vote would be for Paris...and maybe then consider a Med cruise too to make it a full European experience.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter