Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

Good Morning all. Another dreaded Monday morning!!! Rain and cold today in Pittsburgh. Come on Disney brighten my day with Dining packages!!!

At this point I am just wondering if the other night time activities will be starting on 4/22. We will be in AK 4/24 and 4/27 and as much as I am hoping ROL will be open, I am also looking forward to the other night time activities. My kids are really looking forward to Everest at night.

I really need this vacation to come soooon! The lack of sleep is getting to me. I've been staying up till 2am nightly hoping for something and in am I'm a zombie.

So at this point would you rather have Disney come out with a statement and say "Guys, we have encountered some technical difficulties and it doesn't look like we'll be able to open on April 22nd." And then if they do finish it just open it up with no notice?
Or would you rather they keep us in the dark (pun intended) and then maybe a week before say "Nope, it's not opening April 22nd"?

Finally caught up from yesterday. So sorry for those experiencing damage from the weather. Hope the weather takes a turn for the better!!

At this point I am just wondering if the other night time activities will be starting on 4/22. We will be in AK 4/24 and 4/27 and as much as I am hoping ROL will be open, I am also looking forward to the other night time activities. My kids are really looking forward to Everest at night.
No clue, I can tell you that all the entertainment CMs schedules are halted, they should've got their schedules a week ago and as of now they don't know at what times they are playing/performing starting April 22nd. These are the acts that have no schedules when they should already have them:
Viva Gaia Band
DJ Anaan
Tam Tam Drummers of Harambe
Burudika

So at this point would you rather have Disney come out with a statement and say "Guys, we have encountered some technical difficulties and it doesn't look like we'll be able to open on April 22nd." And then if they do finish it just open it up with no notice?
Or would you rather they keep us in the dark (pun intended) and then maybe a week before say "Nope, it's not opening April 22nd"?
I would rather have them say.

"Testing for RoL is ongoing. We are doing everything possible to make the show available on that day and remain confindent that our guests will be able to enjoy the show. We will be releasing updated park hours, schedules, Fastpass availability and dining packages efective immediately. Should we be unable to meet the target date, we will still continue with all the other evening activities and do everything in our power to ensure our guests have a fantastic evening."

That is what I would like to see them say and also what I think they should do.:thumbsup2
I think everyone planning trips (especially for that first week) could accept the risk of a now show, and gamble on tying up a fastpass as long as we could secure plans.

Wow I'm glad those losing roofs and getting into car accidents are all ok!

So...I wouldn't expect any previews. My friend said that basically they're being told they have to open on the 22nd, despite people working on the project repeatedly telling higher ups it's not looking good. There were some huge technical difficulties that no one could have predicted, and it sounds like the 22nd was a perfectly reasonable date until unforeseen things went wrong. I think everyone is hoping it will all come together at the end, but at this point no one seems to know for sure that it will.

So I'm not sure what will happen about dinner packages and FP for now.
Thanks so much for asking your friend. So with that, our dates in April really don't look very promising. But...I'll stay hopeful, and diligent, just in case, but our trips will be great either way!

Hope your household is settling down and things are becoming more routine now with little Grayson directing the show....:)

Last edited:
@disneymath and @ArielSRL I'm glad your both ok.

I figured I'd let u know how wonderful the weather is up north :)
View attachment 160146

Glad to hear that everything is still the same with ROL. No one likes change :)

Love the dueling weather reports! I'm in the north camp. Can't wait to head south!

The first. I'd rather the transparency while still trying to make their date even if it means a last minute open.

Personally, I would rather hear it is not happening so I can move on with my planning. I am planning for 11 people and we leave in 21 days. I have a back up plan if ROL doesn't happen. But it is driving me crazy not having AK plans finalized.

There is no way they are going to release fastpasses or dining package for ROL if they don't know for sure when it can be available. it's the difference between having to cancel them for an unknown period of time, or not having them in the system to have to cancel at all.

But why can they not just start extending the hours? So the other attractions will be available?

I'm looking to see ROL on May 15. Other than that I'm not doing any planning. I can roll with whatever happens. Won't be making any FPs or dinner ADRs for that day until we know what is going on. We'll even go over to the bars at Jiko or Sanaa and have some dinner without needing an ADR. I am sure others cannot be that flexible.

There's still 3 weeks to go, they may still be shooting for an opening on the 22nd.

Well we've started to hit the breaking point for all this ROL/late hours business. DW and I seriously discussed cutting Disney by a couple days and heading over to Universal if ROL doesn't release firm times for our trip soon. I love Dinosaur and really want DS4 to experience it but nothing at that park really stuck out for him last year.

Tough choice between 7 days at Disney or 5 Disney/2 Universal going on in our household at the moment. Universal would also add a fairly hefty cost increase.

I would rather have them say.

"Testing for RoL is ongoing. We are doing everything possible to make the show available on that day and remain confindent that our guests will be able to enjoy the show. We will be releasing updated park hours, schedules, Fastpass availability and dining packages efective immediately. Should we be unable to meet the target date, we will still continue with all the other evening activities and do everything in our power to ensure our guests have a fantastic evening."

That is what I would like to see them say and also what I think they should do.:thumbsup2
I think everyone planning trips (especially for that first week) could accept the risk of a now show, and gamble on tying up a fastpass as long as we could secure plans.
I agree, Keith. Having them be honest about it would certainly be better than way it is being handled. I fully expect the phone calls we will get will say, something more like "We are so sorry that we don't have any more to tell you."

Honestly? Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'm still checking, but I'm over being at all stressed one way or the other.

Generally I'm a fan of just being direct and truthful, but that's not how MOST COMPANIES handle a roll-out of something new that may be hitting snags. This isn't just Disney.

Annoying?? YES!!! But not altogether unprecedented in business to be tight-lipped about any problems a new "product" might be facing.

It's just frustrating to have to plan 6mos out and know so little about a number of offerings just weeks out. And we'll still keep coming unless somewhere else magically captivates us the way Disney has (doubt it). :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter