• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

We do multiple character meals each trip and it still is more expensive to get the dining plan. PP suggested using one of the dining calculators. They are very enlightening. Folks think they'll save money till the enter all the data in one. Then they realize they either break even or pay a bit more. And every time one of those says we'll break even we end up saving some by paying OOP. The #1 reason is we never eat exactly what is included on the dining plan if we have a choice. I may want just an appetizer at a meal, or an appetizer and salad. I can't do that on the dining plan. So the end result is I get to eat exactly what I want and save money.
I used the calculator, made a spreadsheet, looked at menus etc and still had a small savings. I agree that the main way it "costs" more is because it requires the consumption of more food than necessary. We kinda "fixed" that because just DD, DH, and myself are on the dining plan, and we were covering some meals for MIL, FIL, and SIL with it, and splitting desserts, QS entrees etc. (Of course doesn't apply to buffets or "all you care to enjoy")

Ohhh great!!! I thought it was only good for alcohol when dining. This is really going to save us huge then. I'm travelling with my twins who will have just turned 21!! They want to try lounges all over WDW!
Also, even if you, or other guests at your table, have the DDP, you can ALL still order alcohol as well as appetizers if they are not covered by the DDP, and use TIW to get the discount for all of them. I like to have a glass of wine with dinner, so even on this next trip, where we DO have the DDP, if we order outside of the plan, like drinks or apps, I can use my TIW card for the discount.

Since I'm obviously not getting anything accomplished today, my coworker and I are discussing this After Hours thing. Does the $149 cover your park ticket? Or do you need a park ticket + the ticket for After Hours (similar to MNSSHP or MVMCP). For example, if I was in Orlando for a conference for work and was in meetings all day, could I opt for this after hours thing and just pay $149 to get into the park at 7 and stay until 1 or 2am? Or would I pay $110 PLUS the $149?

Keep in mind, none of this matters as I have an annual pass and wouldn't pay $150 to stay up all night :) Just wondering since co-worker and I are arguing two different sides and have a friendly wager.

We do multiple character meals each trip and it still is more expensive to get the dining plan. PP suggested using one of the dining calculators. They are very enlightening. Folks think they'll save money till the enter all the data in one. Then they realize they either break even or pay a bit more. And every time one of those says we'll break even we end up saving some by paying OOP. The #1 reason is we never eat exactly what is included on the dining plan if we have a choice. I may want just an appetizer at a meal, or an appetizer and salad. I can't do that on the dining plan. So the end result is I get to eat exactly what I want and save money.

But without the plan, you also have to factor in meal taxes and the free mug for refills in the resorts (included in the plans)...may or may not help the bottom line, and, how many mugs can you store in your cupboard? :)

Since I'm obviously not getting anything accomplished today, my coworker and I are discussing this After Hours thing. Does the $149 cover your park ticket? Or do you need a park ticket + the ticket for After Hours (similar to MNSSHP or MVMCP). For example, if I was in Orlando for a conference for work and was in meetings all day, could I opt for this after hours thing and just pay $149 to get into the park at 7 and stay until 1 or 2am? Or would I pay $110 PLUS the $149?

Keep in mind, none of this matters as I have an annual pass and wouldn't pay $150 to stay up all night :) Just wondering since co-worker and I are arguing two different sides and have a friendly wager.
No, it does not also require a separate ticket, and gets you into the park a few hours prior to close as well.

No, you do not need a park ticket too. Just the After Hours ticket

But without the plan, you also have to factor in meal taxes and the free mug for refills in the resorts (included in the plans)...may or may not help the bottom line, and, how many mugs can you store in your cupboard? :)
True but we see no value in the mugs whatsoever.
First, if you are on the dining plan your drink is included in your meal, so why do you need the mug too?
Second, you can't fill them in the parks, just at your resort (or if you visit another), where you are probably already having a meal, see point #1
Third, now they limit how many refills you can get in a given time frame.

And the saga continues... :surfweb:

My first thought when I saw the blog post was of my old 7th grade social studies teacher, Mr. Stromberg. Whenever we were doing something wrong he'd say, "Class, you're taking advantage of my good-naturedness!" I feel like after waiting a month for more info on ROL, to drop this info so quickly on the After Hours thing is taking advantage of our good-naturedness! Throw me a bone, Disney!

I used the calculator, made a spreadsheet, looked at menus etc and still had a small savings. I agree that the main way it "costs" more is because it requires the consumption of more food than necessary. We kinda "fixed" that because just DD, DH, and myself are on the dining plan, and we were covering some meals for MIL, FIL, and SIL with it, and splitting desserts, QS entrees etc. (Of course doesn't apply to buffets or "all you care to enjoy")
I think if you have a child or children, you end up saving that way. I'm not saying you can't spend less by not doing the dining plan (because you might not eat nearly the amount of food that the plan gives you), but if you compare apples to apples (comparing the exact same meals paying for DDP vs OOP) and you have children, the DDP might be less. We have one child on the DDP and I figured up that the meals we are getting for him would cost us AT LEAST $15 more per day. So that offsets the $5 (x3 adults) or so more our daily meals cost buying the DDP. At least thats the configuration I came up with. And thats just based on 1 child vs 3 adults. If there are more kids and less adults, you could possibly come out even more ahead. I know we would.

But again, this is comparing the EXACT same meals. Most people wouldn't configure it that way. We are getting it also because we like the convenience of it and also, not having to hear my father complain about the cost of every meal...lol.

My first thought when I saw the blog post was of my old 7th grade social studies teacher, Mr. Stromberg. Whenever we were doing something wrong he'd say, "Class, you're taking advantage of my good-naturedness!" I feel like after waiting a month for more info on ROL, to drop this info so quickly on the After Hours thing is taking advantage of our good-naturedness! Throw me a bone, Disney!

I hear you! Just help us out here, Disney, before we all become raving lunatics...
Or has that ship sailed? :rolleyes1

First, if you are on the dining plan your drink is included in your meal, so why do you need the mug too?
Second, you can't fill them in the parks, just at your resort (or if you visit another), where you are probably already having a meal, see point #1
One thing that the mug is good for is...if you eat at a resort you can exchange your QS drink on the plan for a "snack" item, so then use the mug to get your drink. But again, its limited to resort meals only.

Yes, I agree to a point...we seldom take mugs (if we have gotten the plan) to the parks because we don't want to carry them around all day.

But some people do use them for the free water, and some people use them when they are doing a resort/pool day, or after hours. We usually only used them for coffee in the morning, instead of the sorry little Styrofoam cups in the food courts.

My last visit, on the way back to the airport in the "tragically depressed" motor coach, there was a whole family happily sipping away from the mugs. As soon as they got off the bus, they all lined up at the trash container before going into the airport, finished their drinks, and threw the mugs away. My jaw dropped, as I consider (just for a second) rescuing them. But, like many others, I already have a cupboard full of Disney mugs, glasses, bowls, plates...not an inch left over for those poor tossed aside and abandoned mugs. :)

I think if you have a child or children, you end up saving that way.

You know, it's funny... when I price out the regular DP for my family (2 adults and 2 kids) it never makes sense. Maybe if EVERY meal was a buffet, but that gets exhausting. My kids barely eat anything so we dont need all those credits, they usually share a meal or share with us. But when I take a trip with Just ONE of my kids, (Just did my mother/daughter trip, mother/son coming up soon) it feels like it saves me a TON of money. Basically I book three or four character meals and the cost of the DP is the same as those, giving me 4 days of QS and snacks for basically "free." So maybe not savings as much as lots of rice crispy treats to bring home afterwards. Oh, and I do love a resort mug, I am a coffee-holic.

I bet that the person doing "miles and exercise" to relieve their frustration is either getting super winded, or else is in IRON MAN shape by now!!
ROFLOL 6 Leslie Sansone miles today One with weights, 1 belt with bands and one with stretch band) and 6 1/2 miles power walking outside (it's nice so why not) At least I'll be able to take it easy at Disney LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter