• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this has been posted, but trying to finish fastpasses for August and many attractions are unavailable. This is for 74 days from today (August 8) so not likely a demand issue.

From what I can tell, it’s all meet and greets. Some surprising extras to me are the Safari, Spaceship Earth, and the Nemo ride. Is it even an AK trip without the safari...??

Magic Kingdom

Epcot

Hollywood Studios

Animal Kingdom (plus the UP show)
Thank you for posting! We had been rumoring for some time that the character meets, shows and fireworks will not be taking place. This is the first real confirmation of Disney acting on it and finally blocking out these experiences.

Last edited:
Not Disney, but a nice distraction while we all wait for some official word on next steps, here's the video developed by Efteling on their reopening (English cc):

I find their plans interesting. Especially the lack of you-know-whats!

If Disney announces they are cutting a lot of things like M&Gs, indoor theatres, outdoor shows (fireworks) and even entire indoor spaces (like the Seas Pavilion) for the forseeable future, Disney will have a hard time getting people back in the parks (and that may be okay for them .. they may just wanting to be open "enough" for a while to not bleed as much money).

In the long term, though, I can see a lot of people cancelling their early fall vacations if those types of cuts go on into the fall. While there are plenty that won't care about those things, there are probably a lot more that don't want to pay full price for "half" a park .. unless capacity is SO limited that may be worth the "extra" price.

OK, so because my trip stretches July 25-Aug 1, I thought I’d do some digging.

On Aug 1, I have FP at MK.

Available:
Barnstormer
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Dumbo
Enchanted Tales with Belle
Haunted Mansion
It’s a Small World
Jungle Cruise
Mad Tea Party
Magic Carpets
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Mickey’s PhilharMagic
Pirates
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Tomorrowland Speedway
Under the Sea

unavailable:
Meet Ariel
Meet Cinderella and Elena
Meet Mickey
Meet Rapunzel and Tiana
Meet Tinker Bell
Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor

I have FP for:
Buzz Lightyear
Peter Pan
Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride

ETA: For an earlier MK day (7/29), everything is available but Buzz Lightyear, SDMT, and Space Mountain, all of which have the message that they ran out.

ETA2: Updated info on availability vs what I hold because duh, things I hold won’t show up as available. Whoops!
My dates are a week before yours (July 18-26) and I can get any character meet, shows, etc. For example, I can get all the princess meets on July 19 at MK. And I can get the FotLK and the Nemo show at AK on July 24. Does not bode well for my dates. I need an announcement.

Would’ve already switched to Universal if my DS wasn’t such a small kid for his age. Disney does have a whole lot more for him to do, and he would not be happy seeing DH or DD riding things he can’t ride. So I’ll wait around a little bit longer.

Now THAT makes sense. Disney tried to shove their weight around to do what was best for them- and they failed. They also failed to have a plan for when shoving their weight around didn't work- a move that is classic Disney at this point after that DLR eastern gateway and DLR hotel :rotfl2:
By piecing things together, if Disney had their way they would have the NBA there June, July, August. Open late August to the public. And hope that during those NBA months there’d be enough research/treatment/vaccine data to open in a more business as usual way. Seems they only want to focus on one thing at a time and right now, that’s the NBA.

Clearly we don’t know everything, but if they were planning to open soon we’d see action in the parks. Stickers, plastic partitions, restaurant rearranging to lower capacity, installing air purifiers systems or more disinfectant stations. There’d be ride testing like we’ve seen from pictures at SeaWorld. I mean, something would leak.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I’m not sure they know what to do. People don’t want to wear masks or can’t wear them in the heat. You cannot regularly socially distance in theme parks or transportation. Really not sure Chapek is the right guy for the job either.

Now THAT makes sense. Disney tried to shove their weight around to do what was best for them- and they failed. They also failed to have a plan for when shoving their weight around didn't work- a move that is classic Disney at this point after that DLR eastern gateway and DLR hotel :rotfl2:

Disney should have a plan. Big fail. This shows us how much better run Universal is these days.

We've got two rooms booked via David's for late November/early December family trip, so I hope to all that is holy that Disney has things fully reopened by then, especially meet-and-greets. We booked 11 months in advance before everything happened and thinking of being out that money is making my head hurt.

I concur. The moment they announce any sort of opening they will get a flood of refund calls for the time period leading up to that.

It would all depend on what the opening date is. If it’s early July, they’ve only got a couple of weeks reservations left. The weekly auto cancel has been happening on Thursdays, so if they don’t announce until Friday, those would already be done.

If it’s August, they’re going to get flooded whether it’s Wed or Fri that they announce. I’ll be one of those on the line. Last time I let Disney cancel at their own pace. This time I won’t. I want the thousands in deposits and hard ticket events back quickly and if they push to August I won’t be re-booking.

Reports are they wouldn’t even start until late July. I’m no sports experts, but I don’t think they’d possibly be done by end of August.
I’m talking when negotiations originally started which was in April, what WDW would have ideally wanted. Mid June would probably be the earliest they could even start at this point for sure. That would still give them 8-10 weeks, though.

Just my take on all of this. Not saying it’s fact.

Reports are they wouldn’t even start until late July. I’m no sports experts, but I don’t think they’d possibly be done by end of August.

It depends on the format they settle on. Lots of talk over the weekend of only 16 teams, set up to be like in the Summer Olympics. The Olympics run for less then a month... so who knows, 🤷🏻‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter