Rolling thru the WORLD in a wheelchair on a WISH trip! 8/12 NEW UPDATE*CR CAPTIVES!!

LeeLee2U

DIS Veteran
Hello!:wave2: and:welcome:
I am attempting to write this TR for several reasons
#1 because as a wish family I was searching high and low for any help I could recieve
#2 Because I recieved enormous help from the DIS and the TRs I read on it
#3 Because our trip was well Worthy of being put in print
and finally
#4 Beacause of several of you that have repeatedly asked if I was gong to do one. Well here it is! i hope you all get on and read it. It's been my fear that no ine would subscribe. :eek:

O.k. A little back ground info first.

This trip came around because of my DS5. DS5 is truly MY miracle child! I emphasize on My, because I know several of you out there have miracles of your own!:goodvibes DS5 because of a pre-mature birth (13 weeks early) has spastic diplegia cerebral palsy due to the lack of oxygen that occured during his birth. Ironically he also had ROP (retinopathy ofPrematurity) due to too mucch oxygen after birth!! Go figure!:confused3
He is still showing over 97% brain damage. This causes all the Drs a little confusion, because in 5 years his brain has hardly changed. Usually as a person grows older the brain wiring changes as they grow during the first few years of Life. This has been the cause of numerous studies to be done on my son. They (the Drs) really wanted to be able to show how the brain adapts and changes, well as there has been very little to no change with his brain there should have been very little change with B. Well that's not been the case My son has went from being vegatative with little movement. To a happy growing 5 yr old who is now in reg. Kindergarten with No special ed pull outs!

That being said, B does suffer from some unknowns that they don't hink were caused from the pre-maturity but they aren't sure. He has an unknown metabolic disorder that definatly is effected with how much or how little he eats, but has not affected his sugar level. He has a problem with losing skills when he is sick and it has been as long as 13 months before regaining them. This was thought to maybe be a form of mitochondrial defect. Int he studies done they found that he has extra mito cells. As this has not been seen before he is the subject of much research!! He suffers from migraines and fluctuating muscle tone that is not caused by the CP. He also has a sensory integragation disorder. He has a list a mile long of diff things that I want get into at this time.
On June 5th we were going into our local Wal Mart. Both the boys were very excited as we had just been to the airport to meet my nephew and go eat with him. Our boys and their cousins are very close and Matt my nephew is like a brother/uncle to them. He is in Iraq and had just come in for 2 weeks leave after being gone for over 7 months, so we were excited!
Anyway The Texas Wishing Well was outside WalMart taking donations to send a family to San Antonio on a Wish Trip. We pulled out some money and as usual I was asked if I had filled out an app for B. I replied with the usual No thank you and a lady recognized me. She said didn't we get you to fill one out? I said yes 2 yrs ago. she said "Did you ever hear anything?" "no I replied. Well here fill out another one. I took the flyer, smiled and walked into Wal-Mart. This has been going on since I did fill out the first app after a call from some one who had met the founder of the org. I met him, filled it out and never heard anything. I never would fill out another one. When leaving Wal-Mart the lady said there they are and She brought over Mr. Frank one of the founders. He told me you know this is not for you it's for your son. Promptly chastised I filled out another app. He apologized and said he remembered meeting us but did not know what had happened to our app.
The next day I got a call asking if I could email some pics. 2 days later I got a call saying B had been approved and because they had lost our app 2 years earlier they were putting him on the top of the list. They had just finished fund raising for the little girl we donated to that night. We were very excited! We ha never been on a family vac. since B was born and this was a dream come true!

Well before I go any further I need to give a cast of characters
ME: 33 Leah A bit scatterbrained
DH: 32(in a week) Shannon We call him Grumpy, but just like the Dwarve we love him anyway!:goodvibes
DS7: Tyler and he'll be 8 next week!! Very hyper, but sweet and my bIG helper, loves all things military and all things piraty
DS5: Braeton our WISH child! He has a BIG heart. He's very brave and strong. He loves all things DISNEY!!! He also loves pirates and all things military!

WOW cannot wait to read more...sounds great...we are staying at BCV in November.

My DD was a preemie too...born almost 2 1/2 months early.

Yay! You've started your TR!! I'm really looking forward to reading your experiences at GKTW:woohoo: Was it wonderful?popcorn:: Tell us, tell us!:hyper:

WOW!!! I'm in shock! I already have some posters!! And some of you I already "know" from other threads!!! To the rest of you "Glad to meet you!" :thanks: :thanks: to all of you! Glad to have you along!!!!!!!!

O.k. First it's important for me tell ya'll now that at first this TR will probably, O.k. O.k. it WILL be sporadic. Braeton is recovering from surgery so we are just kind of going with the flow. The other thing I wanted to mention is there will be LOTS of pics. I am at my Moms and photobucket is blocked by her filter. So I will add pics I promise!:goodvibes Of course i've got to add all the WDW pics into photobucket and we have got a lot!!!:goodvibes
I almost feel like I should post a warning here. Hey it's my TR why not???

Warning: This TR will have lots of pictures with the people involved. While there may be a few of the scenery and some shows the majority of these pics will have people in them.

I was on another wonderfull TR when I first started researching adn there were lots and lots of pics of the couple that the TR was about. I personally thought it was great. But @ the end someone got on and made a comment about how they wished there more of the World and less of them. Well the ones of them were them in the world (trying saying that 10 times real fast!) and that's how a lot of mine are so I thought I'd warn you now. I do have the obligatory room, resort and show pics!:goodvibes So those looking for pictures of Beach Club, just hang in here with me!!!

O.k that was the "other stuff" now for some more background info.
I wanted to add that when Tyler was 17 months old My husband had kidney failure. He was diagnosed with LUPUS at the age of 14 and that was the cause of the renal failure. He knew at 14 that he was already in the progress of renal failure in fact it was at 89%, but he had a wonderfull Dr that fought for him and kept him off of Dialysis at that time, his Kidneys started functioning at 70% and didn't go into complete failure untill he was 25. So between him with kidney failure and then Braeton well needless to say we stay a little busy @ here!;) Plus I haven't been the exact picture of health, but hey I'm a Mom so I just Deal with it!!:snooty: :goodvibes
Shannon has been declining health wise the last year. We are praying and waiting on a kidney transplant or a miracle. DH has been called over 10x for a possible kidney transplant, but so far his Lupus has caused his own blood to fight sooooowe are just waiting. 2 of the 10 kidneys were matches, 1 had too much damage and the other one already had an infection in it. So we know there is a match out there somewhere. We just don't know when!! So untill that happens we just cling to our faith in God and take one day at a time. It's made me appreciate each day more. And sometimes gives me the excuse to be a little CRAZY in a fun way of course!!1 Not that I need an excuse. I'm sure I'm pretty certifiable already!!!:rotfl2:
This trip was like a double WISH trip. My husband would have recieved one when he was a teenager, but he was too sick to go any where. And then with his health right now well it just made this trip extra special that we got to take it when we did!:goodvibes
O.k. so now ya'll know us alittle better we can get into the good stuff!!!!!
I've got to go now Braetons bandages are causing trouble!!! See Ya!!;)

Warning: This TR will have lots of pictures with the people involved. While there may be a few of the scenery and some shows the majority of these pics will have people in them.
Warning? Plahff! That's what I signed on for is pix of the wish family!!:goodvibes
More please!! (well, as you can;) )
Tell Braeton we're looking forward to hearing that he's all better soon!!:grouphug:

I'm so pleased you were forced to fill in that form if any family deserves a WISH trip it's yours, oh and bring on all those family photos :hug:

We ended up bringing Braeton to Houston to see his surgeon. He took one look at his bandages grabbed the scissors and cut it off! Soooo we got to see his ears! Now as with any plastic surgery they are swollen and bruised BUT they go back AND his right ear not only has a fold to go back but it has a bend and the top of his ear now curves!!! He says they already feel better. So in a few months Braeton will be able to wear a hat and glasses!:goodvibes And the best part is now his poor ears won't fold up and bend when he lays on them! That means no more waking up crying with hurting ears. :goodvibes I'm so glad they were able to do this while he was young. But trying to keep him still is proving to be an experience:eek:
I will try to respond to comments and questions throughout this report. I really really am glad you all are here!:goodvibes Just give me a few days and I hope to have it all together! Well I know that's next to impossible for me, so I guess I should be truthfull! Give me a chance to sleep and while Braeton is zombied on pain meds I'll work on this TR:rotfl2:

/FONT]

Warning? Plahff! That's what I signed on for is pix of the wish family!!:goodvibes
More please!! (well, as you can;) )
Tell Braeton we're looking forward to hearing that he's all better soon!!:grouphug:
\
Thank you You will get lots of pix I promise!!!:goodvibes

I'm so pleased you were forced to fill in that form if any family deserves a WISH trip it's yours, oh and bring on all those family photos :hug:
I don't know if I deserved it, I know my kiddos did! But I'm so glad I got to go too. They couldn't leave the caretaker behind!!!:laughing:

Hey LeeLee

I am very happy to see you decided to do a trip report!! I had PMed you about it , but never heard anything back, so I just figured you decided not to.....

Well, I saw post on one of trip reports I subscribe to and there in your siggie, was your link...

You need to pimp this out,,,,Like the rest of, with the shameless plug on other people reports:rotfl2:

Seriously, Great start.

I am glad DS surgery went well and he will be able to sleep better now and wear hat and glasses..That is wonderful:goodvibes

I will be keeping your DH in my prayers that a transplant comes thru for him soon:wizard:

Can't wait to hear what is next:thumbsup2

Hey LeeLee

I am very happy to see you decided to do a trip report!! I had PMed you about it , but never heard anything back, so I just figured you decided not to.....

Well, I saw post on one of trip reports I subscribe to and there in your siggie, was your link...

You need to pimp this out,,,,Like the rest of, with the shameless plug on other people reports:rotfl2:

Seriously, Great start.

I am glad DS surgery went well and he will be able to sleep better now and wear hat and glasses..That is wonderful:goodvibes

I will be keeping your DH in my prayers that a transplant comes thru for him soon:wizard:

Can't wait to hear what is next:thumbsup2
SHARKY!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!! I feel like I should be bowing or something! Sharky is here!!!!:goodvibes

I'm signing on and can't wait to read about your trip.

becca
:welcome: I will try to actually get into the details soon!:goodvibes I know it's kind of a slow start, but I knew if I didn't start this now I probably wouldn't ever.

Right now I'm at home for a few minutes trying to load some more pics in photobucket where I can get some on for ya'll. We have dial up and it's taking forever, so we'll see!!!;)

O.k. for those of you wondering what my kids are like I'm going to tell you. They are the sweetest, kindest most angelic boys ever!!!
SEE?????????????
0520070945a.jpg
FONT]

:rotfl2: This was at Sunday School. We were there a little earlier than Tylers teachers so he was waiting in his brothers SS room.
No they really are sweet but they are definatly all boy!!!

Well as you may recall in all my ramblings earlier, that the day I was thankfully told to FILL OUT THAT APPLICATION!!!!!!! was the day we met my nephew at the airport. Here is a pic of my dirty,smelly (hadn't had a shower in 3weeks!!!) never looked better than at that moment to us, nephew and my boys of course!!
P1068038_0000042E012T.jpg
that is one of my favorites. Look at the expression on Braetons face! He loves his Matt-Matt as he calls him!!! And Do you see what's on his head?
YEAH I'm parapooter too now he yelled!:rotfl2: Yes he can now say paratrooper, but I think the other was cuter and boy did we need that laugh!!!
Now this is the pic the Texas Wishing Well Foundation used on Braetons Banner, or rather one of the two
P1075281_0000021E005T.jpg
FONT]

Yeah! You started it!

I can't wait to read along - I was so hoping you'd do a report!

I am so happy to hear that the surgery went well! What a super little guy you've got there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter