RIV: Electric car chargers have been broken for more than a month

Tiny percentage of guests have an EV let alone have their vehicle to charge at WDW.
It may be a tiny percentage today, but EV adoption is rapidly increasing. The last time that I stayed at RIV, it just randomly happened that I parked our EV next to another EV in the parking lot. And no, it wasn't clustered around the EV chargers. People who can afford to spend tens of thousands of $ on a DVC timeshare are more likely to be early EV adopters.

If we're going offsite to recharge our cars, that's almost guaranteed to be a restaurant meal or more offsite as well. I would think that Disney would want to keep us on property if they could.

It is good to hear that the chargers are working again. Sometimes we fly, and sometimes we drive our EV. We drove the previous time, will be flying the next time, and driving the time after that. It is always good to have more EV charging options.

People who can afford to spend tens of thousands of $ on a DVC timeshare are more likely to be early EV adopters.

If we're going offsite to recharge our cars, that's almost guaranteed to be a restaurant meal or more offsite as well. I would think that Disney would want to keep us on property if they could.
This is why I don't understand why more restaurants and hotels don't setup more chargers in their parking lots, it is the perfect place to take a break and or rest and charge your car. I know we would probably pick a restaurant and or hotel with an EV charger over one that doesn't, if we were driving our hybrid on a trip. They could even charge a premium on the electricity and I think people would still pay it.

People who can afford to spend tens of thousands of $ on a DVC timeshare are more likely to be early EV adopters.

These two groups have no correlation except possibly having above average income. You see people all the time financing DVC it's not like everyone is rich.

Additionally they are not packing their vehicle in their carryon.

This is why I don't understand why more restaurants and hotels don't setup more chargers in their parking lots, it is the perfect place to take a break and or rest and charge your car. I know we would probably pick a restaurant and or hotel with an EV charger over one that doesn't, if we were driving our hybrid on a trip. They could even charge a premium on the electricity and I think people would still pay it.

It's a tiny percentage of people. Additionally when dealing with hotels if it's in a place where people fly to the person won't have their vehicle from home anyways and just a rental vehicle (which are pretty much only gas powered).

EV is under 1% of all vehicle sales at this point.

Additionally they don't do it likely because of this post. Now they need to pay upkeep on parking.

Finally unless they are charging you for charging they are not likely to make enough money back to make up the cash outlay on EV chargers and upkeep for resturants and such.

It's a tiny percentage of people. Additionally when dealing with hotels if it's in a place where people fly to the person won't have their vehicle from home anyways and just a rental vehicle (which are pretty much only gas powered).

EV is under 1% of all vehicle sales at this point.

Additionally they don't do it likely because of this post. Now they need to pay upkeep on parking.

Finally unless they are charging you for charging they are not likely to make enough money back to make up the cash outlay on EV chargers and upkeep for resturants and such.
I wasn't just taking about WDW, I was talking about across the USA.

And like I said, they could charge a premium for the electricity to include, the startup cost, electrical rates, and maintenance. Even at those prices, it's still cheaper than gas at $3.50/gallon. Most EV owners just want to be able to charge their vehicle even at inflated rates.

I drive a Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, V8...... and my next truck will be an EV. Once you drive an EV and realize it is far superior to an ICE except for range, you will know why. The only thing holding back the percentage of EV owners right now is supply.

Glad they're fixed, we rent EVs when we're in town and often stay at Riviera and use those chargers.

Hopefully they stay fixed 😊

The lack of chargers in the public is why EV cars are going to hinder sales.
Great for your local driving but not ready for long distance travel.
Vacation trips is when you save $ .

These two groups have no correlation except possibly having above average income. You see people all the time financing DVC it's not like everyone is rich.

Additionally they are not packing their vehicle in their carryon.
Yes, correlation with above average income. It is the same reason that when I look at the EV adoption rate in my office's parking garage, it is higher than the EVs at a grocery store parking lot. And sure, there are plenty of DVC owners who don't own EVs, and plenty of EV owners who don't own DVC or other timeshares.

LOL, no, they aren't packing their vehicle in their carryon. We're packing our suitcases in our EV and driving. Lots of people fly to WDW, and lots of people drive there. There are many out-of-state license plates in the parking lots.

We're almost centered between WDW and DLR, and we've driven our EV to both and lots of other places. Sometimes we drive, and sometimes we fly. It depends on our time constraints and the price of plane tickets.

Lots of people fly to WDW, and lots of people drive there. There are many out-of-state license plates in the parking lots.

And a small percentage drive and a tiny percentage have an electric vehicle.

Your point is the could be a couple hundred people per year impacted?

Sure point taken...

And a small percentage drive and a tiny percentage have an electric vehicle.

Your point is the could be a couple hundred people per year impacted?

Sure point taken...
Did you come into this thread to argue for apathy when it comes to fixing a broken amenity?

I can simplify dropd's point that you dismissed: Disney should care about ensuring amenities at their resorts work properly. Of all the amenities at WDW I don't use, I can't think of a single one where I'd say "nah, Disney shouldn't want to fix that, not enough people are impacted by it" if it were broken.

Between the two chargers at RIV, there's probably 5 uses per day, times 365 days in a year, that's about 1800 uses/people-days in a year (using people-days because some people may use it multiple times in a year). An oven in a 2BR villa has a similar expected number of people-days impacted (5ish per night times 365) but is probably used less than once per day. Would you argue for apathy for fixing that oven?

Maybe don't be so dismissive of amenities other people use?

Disney should care about ensuring amenities at their resorts work properly.

Didn't dismiss anything. I stated fairly plainly it's a tiny percentage it impacts.

I am not Disney but see how they operate. They likely put in the call but they are not pulling out all the stops for a broken EV charger when the MK railroad has now been down for going on 4 years. Glad it was fixed for those impacted though.

Between the two chargers at RIV, there's probably 5 uses per day, times 365 days in a year, that's about 1800 uses/people-days in a year

On what factual information is that occurring? 5 uses per day on what factual reporting?

You conflate uses and people which are drastically not the same.

I just want to point out this is a fan site not a Disney site. I would roast Disney on their official channels for not having fixed the chargers more quickly.

If I was a RIV owner or cash stay that was impacted I would also be pushing up the chain to have something done for the impact it had on my stay.

It sounds good on paper but for many restaurant and hotel owners, I can see why they might be more trouble than it’s worth. EVs are gaining market share but still years off from really moving the needle as far as being an expected amenity. And when they’re broken or blocked it just leads to annoyed customers with little upside.

As an EV owner, I can’t base any planning on a hotel or restaurant having chargers, because I can’t count on them working, or being open, or not being blocked by whoever decides to ignore the sign and park their gas powered car there. Business owners have no interest in policing them beyond putting up a sign. I really don’t base any choices on a place having chargers or not.

Eventually a hotel not offering chargers will be unheard of like not offering wifi. But that’s 5-10 years off IMO.

Disney lists and references EV charging stations as a convenience not an Amenity. Also referenced is Charge Point In multiple sentences. I would say the only way to get any satisfaction is by contacting charge pointe. Like many things at Disney these days they use 3rd parties and take little to no responsibility. Sad to say but rich or poor which either can own an EV. Disney will simply not care as there is no shortage of paying guests. There was legitimate shortage of tubes at the lazy river at BB this year on an uncrowned day in the earlier part of the morning… life guards encouraged people to stand in the middle of the river and told people to go around once. Wrote an email… form letter response. Doesn’t make me not want to go to Disney as a whole….. but I understand the frustration… There are charging stations that may or may not work at Disney Springs as well so also a good option for Dinner and charging.

The lack of chargers in the public is why EV cars are going to hinder sales.
Great for your local driving but not ready for long distance travel.
Vacation trips is when you save $ .
On the east coast, they're totally ready for long distance travel. Nevermind that you can quite easily get any car from the northeast down to Orlando via the auto train.

I've taken my EV to disney 2x in the last 2 years from the mid-Atlantic area and it was great to have our own car inside the Disney bubble.

I don't understand anti-progress zealots feeling the need to jump into this thread - if you don't have an EV and don't care about the status of the chargers at RIV, why even post? There's plenty of other threads for folks to act superior in on this site.

Disney lists and references EV charging stations as a convenience not an Amenity. Also referenced is Charge Point In multiple sentences. I would say the only way to get any satisfaction is by contacting charge pointe. Like many things at Disney these days they use 3rd parties and take little to no responsibility. Sad to say but rich or poor which either can own an EV. Disney will simply not care as there is no shortage of paying guests. There was legitimate shortage of tubes at the lazy river at BB this year on an uncrowned day in the earlier part of the morning… life guards encouraged people to stand in the middle of the river and told people to go around once. Wrote an email… form letter response. Doesn’t make me not want to go to Disney as a whole….. but I understand the frustration… There are charging stations that may or may not work at Disney Springs as well so also a good option for Dinner and charging.

I don't think you read through this whole thread. Chargepoint directed me back to the "station owner" which is Disney. Also, parsing the distinction between "convenience" and "amenity" as if that turns the whole discussion around?

Edited to add: on the same trip that caused me to start this thread, the Disney Springs chargers worked properly in Orange but not in Lime.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter