***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

As of 5 minutes ago Gas Buddy still shows no gas availability for us until we get to Pensacola. (leaving from WDW)
Which way do you go? I see several stations showing gas availability on gas buddy going up toward Pensacola taking I75. and then near Tallahassee there a few. We are planning to go down tomorrow but I am getting a little more concerned about gas on 95 in SC and Ga.

I could drive in from New Orleans tomorrow or fly in on Thursday ? Just don't want to get to I-75 and run into blocked roads and problems with gas ??

Sorry for the OR post. Does anyone know how Clearwater beach made out? I'm not finding out much online. We are supposed to go for an adult only beach weekend. The hotel is beachfront. I know some people here went weeks without electricity after Sandy and whole communities destroyed. I don't want to fly out and be in the way of recovery and rebuilding. For weeks after Sandy you could see people's whole lives on the curb waiting for sanitation to take away. It's not the Disney bubble so I really want to make an informed decision. Flying into Tampa. Any insight would be appreciated.

Is anyone on this thread staying at the treehouses? We are supposed to check in to a treehouse at SSR on Wednesday, but I just read that they are closed until Thursday!

Thanks for any info.

Just finished up at Boma. VERY long lines at buffet. Food was good and CM's were friendly. As we were leaving I heard someone say it was an hour and a half wait.

We actually got our food in Boma and walked over to Jiko where we were seated. Kind of cool experiencing Boma but sitting in the quiet, very nicely decorated Jiko. The only thing I wasn't pleased with was walking right through the Boma check in, which was a mad house, with hot food. Mostly because I was holding hot soup and there were kids running around. It just made me very nervous.

Still a great way to spend our last night and my dads birthday!

Just gotta say, because it can't be said enough, that the CM's at the resorts were AMAZING. I was at POFQ and they were all so helpful and cheerful. Even guest to guest interaction was wonderful; people helping out elderly folks, everyone playing with the kids and the dogs. My neighbors in Building 6, knowing I was alone, offered to keep an eye on me and if I felt uncomfortable to stay with them during the night. I actually got a thrill just standing on the walkway outside of my room (I know, I know) watching the trees and the water being blown about. But the CM's really deserve extra credit for making the day quite special.

Really wish I would have just flown in Friday as scheduled , gut told me it would be ok but people got in my head and scared me into canceling part of reservation. Got to go with your gut... :smickey:

I think there was many posters scaring people into this on other threads. If i have a trip scheduled and a threat of a hurricane is there I would feel more safe there then any other place since there are so many residents saying they would go there in a heart beat.

Really wish I would have just flown in Friday as scheduled , gut told me it would be ok but people got in my head and scared me into canceling part of reservation. Got to go with your gut... :smickey:
Please don't beat yourself up!

I said it in my September thread "We made our decision and I have no judgment on those who still went forward with their plans like we did, adjusted their plans, or even fully cancelled their plans. Your decision is yours alone and not for me to judge what you chose to do (or had to do if your flights got cancelled when you were trying to get back home before Irma hit)."

My husband and I did not make our decision lightly. Nearly every update available on the NHC we were watching it and watching it but look how this hurricane went from the east coast of FL to the west coast of FL to then coming to us here in WDW. We were lucky it became weaker.

The truth is you need to gain the information (I learned so much about hurricanes in the last week or so;we usually only get the very last remnants by way of storms where I'm from) and make that decision that feels right for you. Being on the DIS and learning the information and gaining valuable tips is really what made us feel more comfortable with our decision.

leaving tomorrow to head back home to Brickell, Miami after evacuating to The Yacht Club Thursday. I just can't say enough about the staff here at the hotel. Especially Toni Farve and Jackson Prescott who work at Crew's Cup Lounge. They have been simply amazing and Disney is so very, very lucky to have them!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter