Ridiculous...

I don't know if I would pay for the dining plan, but when I saw "FREE" I jumped on it. We even had to scramble a bit to change dates around. How wonderful to not have to look at the prices on the menu! No Worries, just enjoy your meal! My DD's DH was stressing over what food would cost, she was able to tell him to relax it's already paid for! (Or just shut up and eat! :goodvibes )

Dorisk3 said:
I agree- I think the whole thing is getting pretty annoying! The sharing issue is practically becoming a neuroses on these boards. In the real world, I seldom see anyone sharing in a restaurant and then at Disney everyone is overcome by a desire to share their meals. And don't get me started on the whining about making ADR's and all the folks that want to decide where they want to eat 5 minutes before and just waltz right in. Please!!!!

Actually, dh and I have begun sharing in restaurants. Neither of us is shrinking as we grow older, and we waste a LOT of food in restaurants after trying to stuff ourselves full. So we are learning to share if we feel like sharing that day, and want the same thing.

That said, I would not plan to share on the DDP at disney. I don't PLAN to share anywhere, we just do it sometimes. I agree that the plan doesn't fit for everyone, so that is why it is optional.

I totally agree with the OP. The DDP is not for everyone. I think alot of people are getting it and trying to make it work for their family and it's causing a lot of the issues people keep writing about. I think people really need to figure if it fits their eating habits.

I remember two years ago when we were planning a trip to WDW. DH and I had talked about trying to eat one "sit down" meal a day if we could afford it. So we call and learn about the DDP which fit our needs to a "T". We have nothing but wonderful things to say about the DDP. The people to seem to have the most issues are the ones trying to get the most "bang for the buck", sharing meals, ect.

Many people seem to not want to take the time to do TS meals, as they feel it takes away from their time in the parks...fine. I personally enjoy all the TS meals I can get, as that is part of the fun for us on vacation. Unless you don't want to deal with many or any TS meals, or your style is to always do CS meals, then I still think the DDP is a good value for most people.

ITA with all posts in this thread. I've never used the dining plan (AP holder), but I did use the Silver Wishes plan (back in the day) and that was even MORE food than the current DDP!

I've always booked my ADRs 90 days out, and I don't understand the people who are wistfully longing for the "good ol days" where you could walk into any restaurant... IIRC, that hasn't been the case at all in the past 5 years (hark! Before the DDP!), and furthermore, those days never really existed during peak season, once they introduced the 90 day rule. As with all nostalgic thoughts, methinks that some memories are definitely being viewed with rose-coloured glasses. :confused3

Besides, any package that allows people to visit the "Happiest Place on Earth" and to do the thing that I love most in that place - EATING - is fine by me! I plan to take advantage of the DDP when during my next trip, once my AP expires. It's too good of a deal to pass up, and I LOVE not having to deal with money while I'm on vacation... :)

minniekk said:
LWcalif "Some people just like to complain, no matter what."
-----------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree! We are lucky to get the free DDP for our coming Sept trip,
can't wait! We will definately buy the DDP for our next year trip, because my
DD3 is a seafood lover and when we dine out, I always order the seafood
platter for her and eat her chicken finger kids meal. Isn't that weird? :rotfl2: :joker:

This thread ROCKS!! :thumbsup2

We cancelled our 7-days Cruise to take advantage of the Free DDP. Believe it or not, I didn't know that there's a DDP($38/pp) How little I know right!! :crazy: We have always did the $50/pp food budget while we were there. Never again, NEVER would we go to WDW without DDP whether it's free or not. Regarding those anti-DDP'ers, we are planning on cleaning off our appetizer, main entree and dessert plates. ;)

Why is there always someone out there trying to ruin a good thing for the rest of. I work 12 hours a day and I work hard for my money. The dining plan allows me to pay up front and have access to foods I might otherwise pass up. I save for this vacation and I want to do what I want and make the most of it. I love Disney and feel the try to make it possible to enjoy yourself. So my advice is stop whining, or go to your room and eat bologna and cheese sandwiches. I will be the one smiling all the way and having the satisfaction of knowing everything is paid in advance and I can sit back and take it all in. Anyway isn't vacation to leave it all behind not get stressed over how many pickles are on your sandwich. Geez chill would you!!!!!I'm with the others here leave our dining plan and our vacation alone PLEASE

Last Visit October 2-8 2005
Next Visit October 1-7 2006

misshilda1 said:
some people like to complain no matter what I agree also

Well said. ::yes::

We had free dining last year and will this year as well. I would not mind paying for it though, and plan to if I go during a time when free dining is not offered. It was memorable. For us an awesome way to enjoy our premier visit to the House of Mouse, and a great way to enjoy our 2nd trip as well.

:thumbsup2:sunny:;):goodvibes:banana::cheer2::yay:

I've been reading on and off the people cursing out the DDP and I can't believe how snotty some of those people come off as.
Like those of us who couldn't normally afford to eat at some of the TS restaurants but now can thanks to DDP don't DESERVE to eat at them? Or that our presence somehow has deteriorated the service and quality of the restaurant?
Oh PUH LEASE!!
We originally were going to be paying for our DDP (very happily I might add) but after read the DIS we found out that we could get it free! WOOHOO! Can I just say that I LEAPT for the phone after I read that? Seriously, I did!
I was soooo worried about how much food would eat out of our budget (get it, eat? :rotfl: ) that I was thrilled at saving that money so we could do what with it? What else but BUY MORE SOUVENIERS!! Oh and GO TO MNSSHP!! So Disney still got my $$! :rotfl:
Anyways, we aren't worried about 'sharing' or 'too much food'. If we leave leftovers, we leave em. We plan on ordering different entrees and sampling from each others plates, I guess that's a form of sharing.
I'm especially excited that now, with DDP, my 3 DS will get to do a few character meals! If we had to pay OOP for them, we never could do them!

Some people just are never happy, never will be, and gosh darn it, if they aren't happy AIN'T NO BODY gonna be happy! :rolleyes:

schlepsnort said:
I've been reading on and off the people cursing out the DDP and I can't believe how snotty some of those people come off as.
Like those of us who couldn't normally afford to eat at some of the TS restaurants but now can thanks to DDP don't DESERVE to eat at them? Or that our presence somehow has deteriorated the service and quality of the restaurant?
Oh PUH LEASE!!
We originally were going to be paying for our DDP (very happily I might add) but after read the DIS we found out that we could get it free! WOOHOO! Can I just say that I LEAPT for the phone after I read that? Seriously, I did!
I was soooo worried about how much food would eat out of our budget (get it, eat? :rotfl: ) that I was thrilled at saving that money so we could do what with it? What else but BUY MORE SOUVENIERS!! Oh and GO TO MNSSHP!! So Disney still got my $$! :rotfl:
Anyways, we aren't worried about 'sharing' or 'too much food'. If we leave leftovers, we leave em. We plan on ordering different entrees and sampling from each others plates, I guess that's a form of sharing.
I'm especially excited that now, with DDP, my 3 DS will get to do a few character meals! If we had to pay OOP for them, we never could do them!

Some people just are never happy, never will be, and gosh darn it, if they aren't happy AIN'T NO BODY gonna be happy! :rolleyes:

BRAVO! BRAVO!
I swear to you that I was mouthing these exact words in my head. Are you pyschic ? ;) Well said. :thumbsup2

JimMIA said:
That's exactly the opposite of the intent of DDP.

DDP and the many other benefits of staying onsite are designed to get people to stay in Disney resorts.

People will stay on site with or without DDP, as we have. As DDP is not free {except when Disney run a promo} therefore using your theory only people staying on site can buy Disney theme park tickets! :)

P.S. love your home city, visited often when we lived in Canada :thumbsup2

Jim's point is that more people will stay on-site with the Dining Plan than without it. Load-levels will be higher, vacancy (i.e., in the industry's parlance, "breakage") will be lower.

If Disney could fill the parks with just their own resort guests, and could make more money by restricting park guests to only their own resort guests, then not only could they, but they unquestionably should do so.

Emie said:
People will stay on site with or without DDP, as we have. As DDP is not free {except when Disney run a promo} therefore using your theory only people staying on site can buy Disney theme park tickets! :)

P.S. love your home city, visited often when we lived in Canada :thumbsup2

Actually Jim is correct. The intent of the dinning plan and the Magical Express is to get more people to stay on site. Yes, people will stay on site with or without the dinning plan but Disney way over built their hotel capacity. They have occupancy issues especially during the time they are offering free dinning. One of the requirements of the dinning plan is you have to purchase it for everyone on your reservation and for the entire length of stay. That with the Magical Express reduces the probability that a guest will leave WDW property and, gasp dare I say it, spend money elsewhere.

Last years financial reports bear this out. Occupancy rates were up, more so than other Orlando hotels and more importantly per capita spending by on site guests were up.

As for selling tickets only to on site guests that is a bit extreme but notice that if the parks fill to capacity on site guests are guaranteed to get into a park, off site guests are not. Also on site guests get the extra magic hour benefits and pay slightly less for tickets.

Disney makes much more money from the on site guests than the off site guests. Anything they can do to get people on site benefits the bottom line. The dinning plan is one of those strategies.

Pedler said:
Actually Jim is correct. The intent of the dinning plan and the Magical Express is to get more people to stay on site. Yes, people will stay on site with or without the dinning plan but Disney way over built their hotel capacity. They have occupancy issues especially during the time they are offering free dinning. One of the requirements of the dinning plan is you have to purchase it for everyone on your reservation and for the entire length of stay. That with the Magical Express reduces the probability that a guest will leave WDW property and, gasp dare I say it, spend money elsewhere.

Last years financial reports bear this out. Occupancy rates were up, more so than other Orlando hotels and more importantly per capita spending by on site guests were up.

As for selling tickets only to on site guests that is a bit extreme but notice that if the parks fill to capacity on site guests are guaranteed to get into a park, off site guests are not. Also on site guests get the extra magic hour benefits and pay slightly less for tickets.

Disney makes much more money from the on site guests than the off site guests. Anything they can do to get people on site benefits the bottom line. The dinning plan is one of those strategies.
And...there's that whole Fast Pass thing they were tinkering with for a while...

Thankfully, I would NEVER fall for any of this stay onsite marketing junk! :rotfl2:

schlepsnort said:
Oh PUH LEASE!!

Actually there is actually something called reverse snobbery. :rolleyes:

I don't think those that were commenting about how the DDP had affected dining at Disney meant it was due to the guests who were dining on the plan as much as the changes Disney has made due to the plan.

Due to the DDP, some are way out of control making mulitple ADRs blocking out others on the plan and not on the plan. Some food items have been removed completely from the menu that many long time guests to Disney really enjoyed.

And truthfully the plan has allowed some to dine at restaurants that they needed a lesson in fine dining prior to their arrival. That is not snobbery that is just the way it is. Certainly everyone on the plan does not fit that category and no one said they did. If you don't fit the description, then no need to put others down about their observations.

Pedler said:

The only part you are missing is market share. More people staying at Disney hotels means fewer people staying at the Days Inn or the Radisson or the Hilton. As you gain market share, the other guys can't cover their fixed cost and go out of business. Less competition means over the long run you can increase your prices (or maintain them in down times).

Good grief- these people that are complaining about sharing, etc... Where in America can you get as much food as Disney is offering for the price they are charging??? Besides, the better Disney restaurants have always been hard to get a ressie for, way before the DP. Anyone remember standing in Epcot talking to the person in the TV? They said, "Sorry that is booked" a lot too!

I do hear that the pigeons share the popcorn and it is free..... popcorn::

bicker said:
Jim's point is that more people will stay on-site with the Dining Plan than without it. Load-levels will be higher, vacancy (i.e., in the industry's parlance, "breakage") will be lower.

If Disney could fill the parks with just their own resort guests, and could make more money by restricting park guests to only their own resort guests, then not only could they, but they unquestionably should do so.

bicker is right. Hotel rooms are like airline seats...once the plane takes off, you lost your chance to sell the seat...virtually any price (within reason) is better than zero...the same goes for the hotel room. The purpose of most marketing is to fill DisneyWorld hotel rooms. The price for food is soooo tiny when spread out over thousands of guest. To pay $30-$40 for food that cost Disney a fraction of that is completely tolerable by Disney if they have you staying on property and spending money on their rooms...it makes sense. The goal is to keep people on property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter