Rhine River Cruise Meets Thread

It was explained to us (Danube River Cruise AND the Paris ABD) that Disney is a target by simply being a huge American symbol, and they don't want to advertise who we are. Things being what they are these days, I'm not going to question it. :) I always feel very safe and totally protected being in the Mouse Bubble with the Paddle of Power. :D It really is amazing to see that power at work time after time, from lost luggage catching up, to ABD version of a fast pass, to exceptional meals, accommodating EVERYONE'S special needs, and how the guides manage to figure out temperaments and quirks of each and every adventurer! It's truly a magical trip, and anything Disney feels they need to do to insure that continues to happen is OK by me!

Last edited:
If you can see this, I highly recommend waking up and go up top to watch when you go through the locks! It's pretty fascinating stuff!

We are currently on Day 6 of the cruise sailing towards Amsterdam. It has been a fabulous trip so far - the ship is absolutely beautiful and it's only the second sailing ever of the Ama Kristina so everything is new and sparkling. You can definitely tell that they are using the DVC Inaugural cruise as a sort of test run for the rest of the ABD "Once Upon a Rhine" cruises for the summer and next year. We even previewed some of the Beauty and the Beast themed events for 2018 with a special dinner. There is a camera crew taking pictures and filming for content that will be on the Disney Parks blog and some marketing material for ABD and DVC. As a DVC exclusive, we just had a presentation by Becky Cline, director of the Disney Archive, on Walt and Roy Disney's travel through Europe. Overall it has been wonderful and I will post more detail when I am back in the States. And it was very cool to watch the ship go through the locks!

We are currently on Day 6 of the cruise sailing towards Amsterdam. It has been a fabulous trip so far - the ship is absolutely beautiful and it's only the second sailing ever of the Ama Kristina so everything is new and sparkling. You can definitely tell that they are using the DVC Inaugural cruise as a sort of test run for the rest of the ABD "Once Upon a Rhine" cruises for the summer and next year. We even previewed some of the Beauty and the Beast themed events for 2018 with a special dinner. There is a camera crew taking pictures and filming for content that will be on the Disney Parks blog and some marketing material for ABD and DVC. As a DVC exclusive, we just had a presentation by Becky Cline, director of the Disney Archive, on Walt and Roy Disney's travel through Europe. Overall it has been wonderful and I will post more detail when I am back in the States. And it was very cool to watch the ship go through the locks!

I can't wait to hear the details! We are on the June 17th cruise -- I believe the next Disney sailing! We are getting very excited. I am a little nervous about 3 tall people being crammed into the AA stateroom. Do you know anyone who is using the "pull out chair"? I don't think we will be in the cabin much so I doubt it will be a problem. My plan is to be either: eating, on tour, in the gym or on deck enjoying the scenery when I'm not sleeping. I'm thinking of it as a "bonding" experience.

Hello all! We will be on the July 8 cruise. We've never done a river cruise and this will be our 2nd ABD. We are platinum members of castaway Club in Disney cruise line. I would normally would dress with long pants and a collared shirt during dinner. My wife and daughters will be in a dress in the DCL. How are we to dress up during the dinners on the river cruise? Do people come in shorts for dinner? Is there a night when one should be dressed with a coat and tie? As we all know, we are limited to only 1 luggage for the river cruise.

Thanks in advance

Hello all! We will be on the July 8 cruise. We've never done a river cruise and this will be our 2nd ABD. We are platinum members of castaway Club in Disney cruise line. I would normally would dress with long pants and a collared shirt during dinner. My wife and daughters will be in a dress in the DCL. How are we to dress up during the dinners on the river cruise? Do people come in shorts for dinner? Is there a night when one should be dressed with a coat and tie? As we all know, we are limited to only 1 luggage for the river cruise.

Thanks in advance
We did the Danube last summer. We found all sorts of dress at dinners. Some days, we arrived back from an excursion AT dinner time so we just went in our shorts/tshirts that we had worn for the day. It was a relaxed feel and nobody cared one way or the other. I don't recall any formal dinners.

Thanks in advance
As @CrazyZeus1 said, there is really a range. It's pretty casual. Most days were "Cruise casual" for dinner, one day we also arrived back so late that we went straight to dinner in what we were wearing, nobody cared.

There *is* one night included in your cruise fare at The Chef's Table specialty restaurant. It's not formal (I don't think a coat & tie is necessary) but it's "nice" or "dressy". Definitely nothing too fancy.

Sayhello

Just booked last night for me, DH, DS14 and DS12 (at time of sailing) for July 30, 2018! First river cruise and first ABD, but third time to Europe for our kids. Super excited for this one as I lived in Zurich as a teenager and can't wait to do a few pre days there and show the family my old house, school, etc. Also will be planning some post days on our own, either staying in Amsterdam or heading to Belgium to see family. Researched lots of other companies but this itinerary just resonated with me - and the kids are SO excited for the indoor winter sports park (because we don't do enough winter stuff in Canada???).

I also managed to secure two connecting category BA rooms. Looking forward to reports back from @tiger04 !

Is there a limit on the amount of luggage we can bring???
From the Terms and Conditions for River Cruises: You may bring aboard the river cruise vessel, without additional charge, up to one (1) suitcase per person. Additional baggage will be subject to excess baggage charges.

From the Terms and Conditions for River Cruises: You may bring aboard the river cruise vessel, without additional charge, up to one (1) suitcase per person. Additional baggage will be subject to excess baggage charges.
Wow, that is surprising. Good to know!

Wow, that is surprising. Good to know!
I would have to assume this is because of limited room on the transfers. If you got yourself to the ship, I'm sure they wouldn't charge you because you had too many suitcases.

Sayhello

i signed up for the food and wine this fall. very excited: 2 pre nights in Basel and I passed on the post nights but will stay in Amsterdam and tour.

This is ABD #2.

Found a new video about the Rhine ship (Amakristina).

It looks pretty much identical to the AmaViola, as I'd heard it was, just with a different color scheme. But apparently our dining experience was far superior to his.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter