Resort Change by Disney

My last question, why do so many people on this thread seem to doubt the rumor from travel agents and supervisors that we will be moved? I know things change A LOT but why are we doubting this so much? Lol

Because there are conflicting reports from people. That's not unusual with unconfirmed information. Some people are being told guests will be moved, some are saying the possibility exists that some guests may be cancelled and there are still some who say guests will get the option to move, but have to pay the difference. People tend to want to believe the rumors that they like. But until we get officialy confirmation from Disney, we aren't going to know for sure. It's not that I doubt any one of them in particular, I just don't know which one is accurate.

Cash stay at Riviera for July 10-13 booked for 2 in a 1 bedroom. I have been trying to get my TA and/or Disney to adjust this to an occupancy of 5.

I haven't read all the way through this thread yet. I just wanted to reply to these two sentences specifically.

I was very confused when I read this. When you contacted Disney and your Travel Agent, did you say that you want to add more people to your reservation? Or did you say that you wanted to "adjust the occupancy"?

When I hear "adjust the occupancy," in my head, I think of changing the number of people who are legally allowed to be in the room. Some DVC rooms will have one occupancy for cash reservations and a different occupancy for DVC reservations. People booking on DVC points are allowed to have one more person in the room than people booking on cash. So someone who has a cash reservation with the maximum number of people on it for one of those rooms, and who wants to add one more person (because that would be allowed if the same room were booked using DVC points) might want to try to get Disney to "adjust the occupancy."

So if I were working for Disney and you told me that you wanted to "adjust the occupancy," I would think - nope, can't do it. The occupancy (meaning number of people who are allowed in the room) is fixed. If the occupancy for the room you booked won't work for you any more, then I guess cancelling your reservation is the way to go.

Now in your situation, I believe the room has enough sleeping spaces for 5, so my guess is that it has a legal occupancy of 5, which is what you want.

And if I were working for Disney I should have checked with you before cancelling your reservation.

But anyway, that's my two cents about this particular situation.

Last edited:
Because there are conflicting reports from people. That's not unusual with unconfirmed information. Some people are being told guests will be moved, some are saying the possibility exists that some guests may be cancelled and there are still some who say guests will get the option to move, but have to pay the difference. People tend to want to believe the rumors that they like. But until we get officialy confirmation from Disney, we aren't going to know for sure. It's not that I doubt any one of them in particular, I just don't know which one is accurate.
But on this entire thread of 23 pages not a single person has reported that they’ve been told we will be cancelled or have to pay for an upgrade. So that just seems like totally speculation to me🤷🏼‍♀️ A few reports of people being cancelled early July but that’s before parks open. While as the rumor about free upgrades is coming from platinum travel agencies And cast members.. sure anything can change.. but I don’t understand where people are getting the first idea unless it’s pure speculation

Last edited:

But on their entire thread of 23 pages not a single person has reported that they’ve been told we will be cancelled or have to pay for an upgrade. So that just seems like totally speculation to me🤷🏼‍♀️ A few reports of people being cancelled early July but that’s before parks open. While as the rumor about free upgrades is coming from platinum travel agencies And cast members.. sure anything can change.. but I don’t understand where people are getting the first idea unless it’s pure speculation
There have been 0 first hand reports of people being upgraded for free or people being upgraded at all. The best we have is second hand information reportedly from TA's who probably shouldn't be giving that information out as it's subject to change and I doubt Disney has authorized it's release. I'm suspicious of that because TA's are desperate to keep their clients from cancelling, they have incentive to drop every tidbit they can to keep them on the line. There have been numerous reports from people who claim to have insider contacts that guests will be charged to move, but again, not confirmed. As I said, people who want a certain thing to happen will decide that the most credible information is the one they want to be true.

Guests that are booked from 6/14-6/21 with tickets, are now being allowed to re-book, but at rack rates and only to DVC or FW. That's the only sure thing we know.
Everything else is pure speculation- some based on insider info, some based on TA's giving out information that has not been finalized and is subject to change. We don't even know for sure other resorts won't be open- there may be no moving at all. The best bet is to sit back and see what happens. Not a single rumor here is going to change what Disney ends up doing.

But they are allowing some June reservations to rebook for July-December. If they had a lot more reservations for July, why would they offer that?

I mean, I have no idea what they're doing but they seem to be making strange moves lately.

IMO...they are going in order and allowing those to choose first for a chance at open rooms...by paying for it.

It will reduce those empty rooms, which could mean more people will be canceled at closed resorts. But, at since they are not allowing them to have it for free, going in order does seem like the fair way to do it.

What we don’t know, is maybe the moving into Phase 2, is allowing them to up park capacity? And so they realize they can accommodate if all DVC and Ft. Wilderness were to be filled up? That’s a pure guess on my part.

My last question, why do so many people on this thread seem to doubt the rumor from travel agents and supervisors that we will be moved? I know things change A LOT but why are we doubting this so much? Lol

Sorry about that. I thought I had gone back and found the right one..promise, I looked! Okay, so you are at Pop late July.

Yes, if they continue to stick with the plan of moving values to DVC, giving guests no choice, then you will be move.

But, with this most recent move of opening up for June guests to reschedule and pay, it does now support the notion that some may be moved, and some canceled,

I will just say more info is coming soon...was delayed from yesterday...whether just to TAs or public...don’t know.

Last edited:

There have been 0 first hand reports of people being upgraded for free or people being upgraded at all. The best we have is second hand information reportedly from TA's who probably shouldn't be giving that information out as it's subject to change and I doubt Disney has authorized it's release. I'm suspicious of that because TA's are desperate to keep their clients from cancelling, they have incentive to drop every tidbit they can to keep them on the line. There have been numerous reports from people who claim to have insider contacts that guests will be charged to move, but again, not confirmed. As I said, people who want a certain thing to happen will decide that the most credible information is the one they want to be true.

Guests that are booked from 6/14-6/21 with tickets, are now being allowed to re-book, but at rack rates and only to DVC or FW. That's the only sure thing we know.
Everything else is pure speculation- some based on insider info, some based on TA's giving out information that has not been finalized and is subject to change. We don't even know for sure other resorts won't be open- there may be no moving at all. The best bet is to sit back and see what happens. Not a single rumor here is going to change what Disney ends up doing.

Since I am the one who shared, the person was authorized to share with clients if they wanted to do so...with the caveat subject to change...

Again, I chose to make it public which we discussed in another thread was my mistake..a big one. I will just add my DD is CM as well...not in WDW longer but still has lots of contacts in many levels...so info comes that way too.

However, I will certainly be cautious in sharing the newest info coming my way in the next few days..

Honestly though, I trust platinum travel agencies hearing this could happen more than people freaking it out that they won’t. In my mind, that’s more credible than people just saying we will be cancelled. That’s a rumor thats coming from literally no where. Also, my travel agent is a friend she knows she doesn’t have to try to keep me. I’m aware it could change, but multiple travel agencies have been told this. No travel agencies were told we would be cancelled.

I don’t understand where people are getting the first idea unless it’s pure speculation
It is speculation, but putting a little logic into it as well. Based on current info, only DVC and FtW are opening initially. Very limited occupancy. If they have more guests with reservations needing to be moved than rooms available, some will get cancelled. There could also be more resorts/rooms open by late July or August and fall compared to early-mid July. So what may happen for those booked earlier may not apply to those booked later. It’s a very fluid situation at the moment.

I know I'm being impatient, but I'm hesitant to buy airline tickets until I know for sure that my reservation won't be canceled (July 11 to 21 at POFQ). However, I've watched their (the airline) prices for those dates literally double over the course of the last week. I don't want to keep waiting since the prices keep going up, but I also don't want to have to pay flight change fees in the case that they do. As mentioned in an earlier post, we are AP's, so our reservation is room only. Not sure if that will have any bearing on any decisions made by Disney. I just keep holding out hope that this is the day they'll give us some kind of update...

My gut says we're going to get canceled...and have to go another time. But I'm a pessimist and my family thinks otherwise and we'll get moved. Who knows.

Pardon me if I’m incorrect - but you are from the UK, correct? I haven’t heard any info indicating foreign travel restrictions may be lifted soon. Could that have been considered?
Perhaps, although my 12 to 18 July YC CL reservation still stands, the reservation was made through a US TA and that TAs 2 July reservation at Pop was also cancelled. I am still trying to get an explanation from WDW but so far nothing, other than confirmation that the reservation is cancelled. No refund so far either.😂

I read in one the million and half threads on WDW reopening they legally have to re-open DVC first since they technically don't own that. I get that. I just don't understand how UO has every hotel open and available, but Disney is only opening DVC and FW. I may be wrong, and forgive me if I am, but don't WDW parks have a larger capacity than UO? Meaning even at half or less capacity, they can handle a larger number of guests?

I read in one the million and half threads on WDW reopening they legally have to re-open DVC first since they technically don't own that. I get that. I just don't understand how UO has every hotel open and available, but Disney is only opening DVC and FW. I may be wrong, and forgive me if I am, but don't WDW parks have a larger capacity than UO? Meaning even at half or less capacity, they can handle a larger number of guests?
you are right. I think it has to do with staffing. Universal kept all their staff on payroll, where disney furloughed almost everyone. Disney also has a union that I don't think Universal has to deal with. I think those 2 factors are what is holding everything up.

Universal hotels are also operated by Lowes so that's another difference. Besides the mask issue the resorts are opening up totally differently. Universal guarantees admittance to all it's parks for hotel guest where Disney will require reservations.

Also, by the time Disney opens Florida will most likely be in stage 3 of opening which has no limits on the theme parks except minimal social distancing We already know Disney won't be following that.

Anyone’s military ticket extended with the new Sept 2021 date? Mine are all displaying 12-18-20 expiration date. I chatted with CM and she said I was good to use my plus option through Sept 2021 but I’m not so sure!! Not sure if military tickets are extended or not.
I have 4 Military Salute tickets linked in MDE, and they all still show a 12-18-2020 expiration.

Since I am the one who shared, the person was authorized to share with clients if they wanted to do so...with the caveat subject to change...

Again, I chose to make it public which we discussed in another thread was my mistake..a big one. I will just add my DD is CM as well...not in WDW longer but still has lots of contacts in many levels...so info comes that way too.

However, I will certainly be cautious in sharing the newest info coming my way in the next few days..

I wasn’t referring to you specifically.

I haven't read all the way through this thread yet. I just wanted to reply to these two sentences specifically.

I was very confused when I read this. When you contacted Disney and your Travel Agent, did you say that you want to add more people to your reservation? Or did you say that you wanted to "adjust the occupancy"?

When I hear "adjust the occupancy," in my head, I think of changing the number of people who are legally allowed to be in the room. Some DVC rooms will have one occupancy for cash reservations and a different occupancy for DVC reservations. People booking on DVC points are allowed to have one more person in the room than people booking on cash. So someone who has a cash reservation with the maximum number of people on it for one of those rooms, and who wants to add one more person (because that would be allowed if the same room were booked using DVC points) might want to try to get Disney to "adjust the occupancy."

So if I were working for Disney and you told me that you wanted to "adjust the occupancy," I would think - nope, can't do it. The occupancy (meaning number of people who are allowed in the room) is fixed. If the occupancy for the room you booked won't work for you any more, then I guess cancelling your reservation is the way to go.

Now in your situation, I believe the room has enough sleeping spaces for 5, so my guess is that it has a legal occupancy of 5, which is what you want.

And if I were working for Disney I should have checked with you before cancelling your reservation.

But anyway, that's my two cents about this particular situation.
I used the words "add my children to my reservation", just worded it differently here. Riviera 1 bedroom sleeps 5 so I knew when I booked we would be fine. TA, for whatever reason, only allowed booking for 2.

I think it's an odd business practice to reach out to people, tell them they will be moved to another resort (a possible upgrade!) and then tell them it's subject to change. Here's your shiny new car!! - oh, wait, scratch that plan, we changed our minds. I think all we know right now is, you might stay where you are, you might be moved, or you might be cancelled on. If you are ok with any of those three scenarios possibly happening as we wait all of this out - you're good to go! I'm personally watching out for more CM recall notices from the union - that seemed to be the biggest clue as to what resorts were opening so far! But I do understand why people are grasping for straws here and trying to make sense of it all. The parks open in 35 days and people still don't know what's happening with their vacations. It's really frustrating.

I just wanted to add on - guests originally booked June 5 - June 21 can call in now to modify to available DVC resorts or Ft. W. I just wanted to make sure anyone on here booked in early June knew they can also call in if they want to try to modify to something from July 11 - December 31.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter